• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hi,
The latest stadard of the BRC/IoP allows for employee self-care provided " employees have received written instructions regarding the laundering process to be used".

For some strange reason, some employees would like to opt out of the company laudering scheme, and wash their own.

Does anyone have an example of the detail the should be included into instruction, ie specific temperature of wash, chemicals/detergents to be used / not to be used post-wash requirements etc ?

Many thanks,
Tony.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hi,
The latest stadard of the BRC/IoP allows for employee self-care provided " employees have received written instructions regarding the laundering process to be used".

For some strange reason, some employees would like to opt out of the company laudering scheme, and wash their own.

Does anyone have an example of the detail the should be included into instruction, ie specific temperature of wash, chemicals/detergents to be used / not to be used post-wash requirements etc ?

Many thanks,
Tony.

Hi Tony,

I thought we'd had previous discussions on this subject so I did a search and came up with these.

Protective clothing-self care

In house Laundry Validation

Laundering Of Clothing (Cat B)

Once you've reviewed those if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

TonyG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Simon,
I have read through those previous posts, and whilst interesting, they don't really answer my question.

Does anyone have a copy of the
'written instructions regarding the laundering process'
that the brc/iop find acceptable under clause 6.5.8 (Cat.1) ?

cheers,
tony.

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Tony

We allow self care - I'm back at work on Monday and will forward you our instruction - it has got us through all our audits - the important thing is transport in clean bags which is monitored just visually by supervision on a regular basis.

Rosie

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:06 AM

Tony

We allow self care - I'm back at work on Monday and will forward you our instruction - it has got us through all our audits - the important thing is transport in clean bags which is monitored just visually by supervision on a regular basis.

Rosie

Hi Rosie

I assume that you check the standard of cleaning as well as the fact that work wear is in a clean bag?

Regards,

Tony

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

Tony

Rosie

I'm assuming you've risk assessed what the clothing is being washed with? both detergent wise and other clothing.
All you need is for one of your staff to be washing at 30 degrees using a nice scented detergent with soiled clothing from a kid with diarrhoea!!!

Do you swab them for listeria?

Caz

TonyG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Tony

Rosie

Hi Rosie,
Do you have any documentation you can attach - anything you have would help me re-inventing the wheel.
Also just wondering what you use for the transportation of the clean garments - do you have a web link for this one?

many thanks,
TonyG.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Dear TonyG,

I appreciate you are trying to formulate an “acceptable” procedure so that basing it on an existing approved document is certainly one effective route.

In the meantime ……My experience is from BRC food (a harder taskmaster perhaps) but IMO any procedure of this type will be at a minimum assessed on (a) the basic technique which should obviously make sense regarding the specific situation, eg choice of detergent / conditions, type of work / high-risk application whatever; but the explicit details will surely be flexible based on (b) whether it can be validated / verified, eg by comparison to published methodology and © by achieved results (as compared to validatable specifications) . You might find the posts below of some informative value regarding “critical control points” in the typical overall cleaning set-up and transport etc. I would also keep any micro.analyses to the absolute minimum which can give adequate coverage.

The net result may be that yr employees will opt/ need to be opted for a company scheme which I wud personally hv thought much less of a documentation headache for yours truly.

http://www.ifsqn.com...m...ost&p=16154
(text extract also contained in attachment 01 of next link)
http://www.ifsqn.com...m...ost&p=33629
(all 3 attachments discuss CCPs, the last 2 with validation also)
http://www.ifsqn.com...m...post&p=8709
(inc.an attachment with suggested audit queries)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users