• Quick Navigation
Photo

Acetic acid aroma in soup three days after production?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

poppysnoss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi All.

A strange one for you...

Does anyone know what would might cause an "acetic acid-like" aroma in soup three days after production? It's various vegetable soups, like pea, broccoli and tomato soups. The only common denominator is the same batch of onions. The soup normally has a shelf life of over a week.

Thanks in advance

Pops

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

BUMP for pops.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

Baterial fermentation from spoilage?

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

IPM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi Pops,

Am not 100% sure but usually when you get 'acetic acid like aroma its an indication of microbiological spoilage of some sort. "Acid tolerant bacteria (acetic acid bacteria) are among the main spoilage bacteria because of their ability to grow at relatively low pH and in low nutrient levels. They are strict aerobes and any developments in packaging techniques and materials that increase the amount of oxygen present in the product will increase the incidence of spoilage by these bacteria.
Spoilage reasons tend to be caused by unhygienic processing/handling of products. You need to ensure that your equipment, personnel, raws are handled hygienically.

Hope this assists!!

Irene

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Could there have been some fermentation and oxidation following that either of the starting materials or resultant soups? If so, the yeast counts would presumably be higher than normal.

Do they taste acidic? What were the micro results?

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

What is the pH of soups? Its all depends on pHs

Oxidative stability needs to check for shelf life!

Yeasts and molds needs to perform (but acetic acid kills bacteria, molds and germs that's why people use in traditional pickles/folks recipes where there is no heating/pasteurization takes place)

Acetic acid bacteria which turns alcohol and some sugars in to acetic acid, they are 'acetobacter aceti', perform microbiology!

Numerous studies shows 5 % solution of acetic acid—kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses).

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

poppysnoss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

I had been thinking around the same lines - ie acetic acid bacteria. I had very limited data on the product, ie I haven't seen any micro results or know the pH etc as I don't have a sample of this product. It was a query that someone had passed onto me to see if I knew what was going on with it. I did ask for a sample to check, but it has not been forthcoming....

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users