• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

Dear All

I would be glad if anybody could help me in establishing the process parameter of steam sterilization of Poppy seeds and Sesame seeds.

Process parameters such as temperature and hold time at that particular temperature.

In fact we are manufacture steam sterilizers but our application is limited to pharma industry.

We have received this new application of spices hence if anybody could help me I would be highly obliged.

Thanks

Dhruv

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

BUMP for Dhruv.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Gao Yu Qing

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, Internet, Science, Music, Art

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Dear All

I would be glad if anybody could help me in establishing the process parameter of steam sterilization of Poppy seeds and Sesame seeds.

Process parameters such as temperature and hold time at that particular temperature.

In fact we are manufacture steam sterilizers but our application is limited to pharma industry.

We have received this new application of spices hence if anybody could help me I would be highly obliged.

Thanks

Dhruv

Well generally the application of 121 degree temperature for 15-20 minutes at 15-17 psi is sufficient in an autoclave to sterilize most items (depending on the model and size). But that's an autoclave, which is only one type of steam sterilizer, but there are other types and I'm not sure which type you have in mind.
One question though, since these are presumably dried seeds, I would think that a steam sterilizer would have the effect of causing the seeds to swell and absorb the water, changing their consistency and nature. It may not matter depending on the product you're putting them in (ie soup) but may for others (ie bread). Putting wet seeds on a dry product may actually increase the chance that they will grow bacteria or mold later. I don't know if that would matter to you or not as I don't know the use for the spices. Don't know if that will help or not. You could probably do some research on various steam sterilizers and check what the company has to say about their usage and what they're good for. They likely have done most of the legwork for you already.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users