Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

Hello all! Im back again after a while asking again your precious help! In my school (Food Technology) we got a big project about production of dry gluten and bioethanol from wheat, so i would like to ask your help about anything you know for the production of bioethanol mostly (flow diagram for example) because here in Greece are years back on this subject!

Thank you in advance!
George Selas

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

BUMP for George.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

gkselas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

Nothing yet? :( ... Thanks for the try though Simon!

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Do not be discouraged, George.

I know not about the dry gluten production. But I might be able to give you a rough idea on bioethanol.

harvest wheat/corn
cleaning/de-stone to remove stones/impurities
enzymatic breakdown of starches to simple sugars
innoculate yeast for fermentation
fermentation uses up sugars to produce ethanol (7-14%??)
distillation of mixture to higher ethanol content

This is almost the same as beer/wine making. Though I believe bioethanol is not the best alternative for fuel. More plants need to be grown over a large area of land, thus reducing the biodiversity (e.g. palm oil production).

Nonetheless, hope you are somehow able to find more over the internet for your project. Good Luck!

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

gkselas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Thank you Hongyun for your responce,

I found many articles till now and i can see thats it is difficult to be the best alternative for fuel. But , its the project so i have to continue. Thank you for the production row and i would like to tell you that we will do one distillation (until 95% ethanol content)

I am glad that you helped me and appreciated alot!

In three months i will tell you about the final project (if the industry we make is benefitial..or not!)

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

Distillation is a pretty easy step for ethanol production with the right equipment. Yes, I'm sure some of us here would really be interested to know if bioethanol is feasible or not! Do keep use posted. :smarty:

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

Hello all! Im back again after a while asking again your precious help! In my school (Food Technology) we got a big project about production of dry gluten and bioethanol from wheat, so i would like to ask your help about anything you know for the production of bioethanol mostly (flow diagram for example) because here in Greece are years back on this subject!

Thank you in advance!
George Selas

Hi George

Appears to be some useful stuff on Bioethanol if you search on the internet. Most of this Handbook on bioethanol: production and utilization By Charles Wyman seems to be published by Google books.

Some bits about dried gluten also:
The bread-baking properties of wheat flour are mainly due to the unique visco-elastic properties of its gluten protein. In order to preserve these properties, the processing conditions, especially temperature, are critical. Vital wheat gluten can be spray dried as in U.S. Pat. No. 2,891,045 (Montgomery et al.), or drum dried as in U.S. Pat. No. 2,567,980 (Tuomy et al.), but most commercially produced vital wheat glutens are flash dried, for example in a process such as that described in U.S. Pat. No. 2,559,551 (Weber).

Regards,

Tony

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

Dear George!

I have dig lot of information from my database on bioethanol production from wheat: have a look on attachments and few hyperlinks for your perusals.

Global potential bioethanol production from wasted crops and crop residues

Creating Cellulosic Ethanol: Spinning Straw into Fuel
bioethanol production from wheat in Henan Province, China

Wheat a corn replica for ethanol

Recycle Bioreactor for Bioethanol Production from Wheat Starch II. Fermentation and Economics

Attached Files

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Thanked by 1 Member:

gkselas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

Thank you all, for your responses !! You really helped me with the refs. I will keep you informed about the industry (if its benefitial or not..)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users