• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

Dear All,

Could anyone Pls... help to clear my doubts regarding Validation step.( working in a catering firm we are following Dutch HACCP)

1) Is validation to be performed for each process steps or only for the CCP's?

2) Is it required to validate the PRP's Control measures also?

3) Is it necessary to form a validation team /HACCP team can do the validation

4)documents to be maintained.( if possible a sample format)

Thanking you all in advance
Regards
Anie

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

1. I would say start with your CCPs for validation (but don't stop there) but obviously your CCPs are the key points in your process. Remember as well to validate your decisions for the criticial limits too. I wouldn't do each process step as it doesn't really make sense but...

2. I would validate PRPs as my next task. In an ideal world I'd do this first before enacting the HACCP plan and before validating the CCPs but I'm a realist and most PRPs have got some evidence for why they are effective behind them anyway, it's normally a collation exercise to bring it all together. Still, not everyone does this (and you will pass an audit without it from my experience) but it's certainly good practice.

3. I would say it's not necessary to convene the HACCP team (after all to chose your CCPs you must have already discussed why they would be effective) but you may consider asking someone independent to validate your HACCP plan or at least to review the evidence you've collated to look for gaps.

4. Sorry, I'm on maternity leave right now but I use a simple document format for point 1 where I discuss our (only) CCP and choices of critical limits etc with reference to documents supporting our decision. Remember reference to experimental or published work is vital for validation (and obviously keep a copy of these references!) If you have more CCPs, it might be worth adopting a more tabular format but there will be a significant amount of discussion in this document IMO, some of that might be lifted from your minutes.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

Dear All,
Could anyone Pls... help to clear my doubts regarding Validation step.( working in a catering firm we are following Dutch HACCP)
1) Is validation to be performed for each process steps or only for the CCP's?
2) Is it required to validate the PRP's Control measures also?
3) Is it necessary to form a validation team /HACCP team can do the validation
Regards
Anie

Hi Anie,

1. Validation should cover:
- All potential hazards
- Significance of hazards
- Control Measures
- Variation in Control Measures
- Corrective Actions are appropriate

2. PRP's require validation as they are part of the general control measures

3. Members of the HACCP team can be part of the Validation team but the standard states the Validation team must also include independent reviewers

4. PM me with a few details of your operation and I will see if I can dig out an appropriate example

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 10 November 2010 - 04:29 PM.

Anie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:37 AM

Dear GMO & Tony Thanks for the replies.

Tony,

Ours is a catering company.

Our CCP's we identified are receiving chilled & Frozen Ready to eat items, cooking, Cooling,Reheating and Hot & cold holding.
For validation study we mainly depended on local regulatory requirements & international Standards.

Could u pls explain more about how the validation study of PRP's &CCP can be done with an eg. if possible

Thanks & Best Regards
Anie

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

Ok, here is how I've validated cleaning methods and frequency in the past (a PRP). I have used the expertise of a cleaning supplier to chose chemicals they believe will be effective against the pathogenic and spoilage organisms of interest (this is my first key reference). I have then designed procedures which follow the best thinking on how cleaning should take place (use a hygiene textbook and there will be a section on cleaning and a "how to" ie the steps to take), I have taken equipment manufacturers advice into account on how to best clean and dismantle equipment (next reference). I have then done some practical cleaning trials doing extensive microbiological work (might not be practicable for catering though) and once I'd decided on techniques I believed were effective, I looked at other similar factories in our industry for their cleaning frequency, used that as a benchmark and then trialled different cleaning intervals taking extensive before and after swabs and samples. Put all of that into a report and ta-da, there is my cleaning validation!

As you can see, this stuff can be time consuming. The above took about 2 months of work. You might be able to do something less in depth based on theory to start with and then more thorough later (just trying to be pragmatic!)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Dear Anie,

Many of yr questions may be specific to Dutch Haccp. How much difference do the local regulations make, eg do they include things / details like validation ?

Interesting from Tony’s answer that PRPs must be validated. ISO 22000 ( which from my memory having many links to dutch HACCP) allows PRPs which cannot be validated.

@GMO, I agree with yr logic chain. IMEX, a pragmatic “validation” for cleaning IMEX can consist of (a) details of approved suppliers / food – safe chemical documentation, (b) textbook storage set-up for chemicals, © good hygienic appearances of “area” / workers (d) detailed / intelligible SOP procedures for cleaning / microbiological sampling / analysis / follow-up (e) copious data / corective actions / verification to support (d).
And i think 2 months was super high-speed. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

Interesting from Tony’s answer that PRPs must be validated. ISO 22000 ( which from my memory having many links to dutch HACCP) allows PRPs which cannot be validated.
Rgds / Charles.C

Clause 5.6.2
Control measures not related to CCP's shall be classified as general control measures.
General control measures are actions or activities which are part of the Prerequisite Program.
General control measures shall be validated.

I can understand your comments as some would consider the requirement a bit OTT.

Regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

Regards
Anie

Here is a example

Attached File  PRP 7 Hygiene Policy Validation.pdf   148.2KB   257 downloads

Regards,

Tony

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:57 AM

thanks tony for the doc.. but that is protected by password.. can you give us the password?

rgds

AS Nur

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:42 AM

thanks tony for the doc.. but that is protected by password.. can you give us the password?

rgds

AS Nur

Are you saying you can't open it?

If you are after a blank template then PM me.

Regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:34 AM

rgds

AS Nur

Sorry try this one

Attached File  PRP 7 Hygiene Policy Validation.pdf   153.97KB   97 downloads

Regards,

Tony

sandy soni

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

Dear all,

I am working in a company who has HACCP since last 5 years and I want to know how i can validate my CCP and OPRP'S once a year. The CCP's are as follows : How and what method i should apply to show that i have validated the CCP's and OPRP's

1) Product temperature after IQF
2) Working of Metal detector
3) Temperature of product in cold storage
4) Pasteurization time and temperature
5) Retorting time, temperature and pressure
6) Magnet

OPRP's are :

1) Blanching temperature and time
2) standarization of mango pulp
3) Filling temperature of cans
4) double seaming of (Width, Seam Thickness, Body Hook, Cover Hook & Pressure Test Result of cans)
5) Washing of F&V with chlorinated water

How i can validate them once a year and what method of tests are required to show that control measures are effective.

Plz Help

Sandy

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users