• Quick Navigation
Photo

What makes an effective Food Safety Management System?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

As an end of year discussion I thought it would be useful for members to share their ideas on the essential ingredients required to make an effective Food Safety Management System.

Pooling our knowledge may help us to identify gaps and weaknesses in our own systems and assist us in compiling improvement actions ready for the New Year!

Please share your best practice.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

The first ingredient I would have would be genuine senior management commitment. Not just "tick box", not just "oh we're doing this for BRC" but MDs and Ops managers who are genuinely interested in Technical results.

With that as a strong basis, whatever system you put in place will be halfway there IMO.

• MQA likes this

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

The first ingredient I would have would be genuine senior management commitment. Not just "tick box", not just "oh we're doing this for BRC" but MDs and Ops managers who are genuinely interested in Technical results.

With that as a strong basis, whatever system you put in place will be halfway there IMO.

Great start and definately top of the list GMO! :clap:

I would say the next step is continous improvement processes. As told by Simon's original question, no matter how good of a system you put in at the start, it will always need adjusted and modified to meet changes in company, industry, regulations and society.

Gunter-K

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

For starters competent and motivated employees, a main of lean systems and procedures followed by a dessert of continuous improvement. :bye:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Dear Simon,

I suppose this is a corollary of the previous -

A set of implementation procedures which are safety-intelligible to the production workers themselves.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

elito

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:03 AM

For me, a clearly identification of all the stages of the food process could be the next step. Also beign aware of all changes that can take place is very important.

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:21 AM

I agree 100% with GMO. I also want to add the employees - skilled, experienced, trained & dedicated staffs to prepare, implement and monitor the system effectively and efficiently.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

How about resources.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

i think open minded employer and top management make continous improvement run well..

BTW i 100% agree with the other previous comments :thumbup:

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:11 AM

• Definitely senior management support
  • Education, education, education and OPEN communication; so many issues occur due to silence or assumptions
  • Continuous improvement: any management system should be part of regular business life
  • Updates via subscriptions, conferences, seminars, forums, journals, networking
  • Internal audits: customer complaint and maintenance trend reports, corrective action registers
  • CLEANING! Should be regarded as PART of product rather than something one is obliged to do
  • Talk it, breathe it, be it. Chats over a lunch break or "ciggie break" can generate the best solutions

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:23 AM

An effective fully implemented HACCP Plan.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

• CLEANING! Should be regarded as PART of product rather than something one is obliged to do

:thumbup:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

• Definitely senior management support
  • Education, education, education and OPEN communication; so many issues occur due to silence or assumptions
  • Continuous improvement: any management system should be part of regular business life
  • Updates via subscriptions, conferences, seminars, forums :thumbup: , journals, networking :thumbup:
  • Internal audits: customer complaint and maintenance trend reports, corrective action registers
  • Talk it, breathe it, be it. Chats over a lunch break or "ciggie break" can generate the best solutions

Dale P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:54 PM