• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

Dear All,

As per my old company experiences (pharma & dry food product) - we were most bothered about Fumigation of Plant, Warehouses, Transportation in a regular interval. But this is my first experience with a beverage manufacturer - and there is no such practise of fumigation.Can you please share your experiences?.

Regards,
Anish

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Can anyone help me on the above query?.

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

One would only consider fumigation if one had drastic issues with insect pests. If yoyu do not have issues then you do not need to worry about it..It is Simple as that. If you were to supply the organic industry then fumigation would be out of the question.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

So a corrective action rather than a preventive action.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

agwanda

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Quality Management Systems, Food Safety (ISO 22000:2005) HACCP, Microbiology, Food Processing and Packaging

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

Can anyone help me on the above query?.

Dear Anish,

One more consideration is the quality risk of the food product being manufactured as well as the manufacturing environment. For instance, in areas where you require minimal Aerial counts(man. environment), fumigation will have to be routine to ensure that the aerial microbial load is to the minimum and would not affect the the quality of the final product. Thus I think depending on the situation this should be an OPRP.

agwanda

The sky is the limit..........!

sarahfoodtech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi Anish,

If you are now out of the dry facilites (lucky!) you probably will not have to worry about fumigating at all!

The nature of beverage production and the through wet cleans and sanitizations on a daily basis/per batch, 99% of the time, will eliminate the possiblity of bugs taking hold, laying eggs and completing a life cycle causing an infestation. Wet cleans are fully capable of eliminating the need to fumigate. If the beverage products they make are canned/tetra packed, etc (fully sealed and enclosed) there should be minimal to no risk of infestation of that product, the transport (if kept clean), or the warehouse (again if kept clean).

Think back to your dry experience, I bet they cleaned on the basis of per day or week, sweeping or blow down with conmpressed air only, trying to move dust to break up the life cycle of the bugs/eggs that are impossible to fully remove from dry products. Becuase you could not wet clean, and if the plant was in a hot and humid place like India, you would have to fumigate on a regular interval just to keep infestation at bay!

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:14 AM

Dear All,

As per my old company experiences (pharma & dry food product) - we were most bothered about Fumigation of Plant, Warehouses, Transportation in a regular interval. But this is my first experience with a beverage manufacturer - and there is no such practise of fumigation.Can you please share your experiences?.

Regards,
Anish

Hi Anish,

IMEX of working in a meat processing industry, we are doing monthly fumigation to eliminate / completely get rid of pest that may compromise the food safety of our food. Probable reason is because Meat smells bad during decomposition and its tendency to attract a lot of pest is high.

When I moved to a beverage manufacturing company fumigation is only carried out only when there is a high pest infestation. Juice and beverage ,IMO, has lesser tendency to attract pest compared to meat and poultry.

Kind regards,
food safety boy

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users