MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hi to all,

Is there anything wrong with this picture?

Attached Files

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:40 AM

Heavy make up!!! Picture not very clear to detail everything clearly.

Regards

Ajay

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

Dear Jakmqa,

:thumbup:

Sooo many possibilities - to name but 4

Taken in Australia (?) :whistle:

Rust

Non-stop FIFO but no sign of FO :smile:

Personnel Metal hazard

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

It was used on the front page of a brochure belonging to an international food safety / quality assurance Certification Body.

I won't name the company (whom is quite renowned), but when I emailed them of my concerns about her wearing makeup, this is the response I received:

Thank you for your feedback on the food safety image. I appreciate you contacting ****.

The person within the image adequately adheres to internationally accepted Good Manufacturing Practices (based on Codex Alimentarius and ratified by over 155 countries) that are recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative. Specifically, the image adheres to PAS 220:2008 section 10 which covers “Measures for prevention of cross contamination” and section 13 which covers “personnel hygiene” and “work wear and protective clothing”. The GMP and PAS 220 focus on objects that can contaminate the product from a foreign material point of view. Example – rings with stones, earrings, false nails, buttons, fraying clothing material, hair, etc. Make up is not considered unacceptable within the GMP.

I guess I was wrong when I gave someone a corrective action for wearing makeup whilst baking...

And Charles, you fiend, it was in fact USA. And yes, I noticed the rust too!

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi,
Ja right, very hygienic... :yeahrite:
this quotation:
"the image adheres to PAS 220:2008 section 10 which covers “Measures for prevention of cross contamination” and section 13 which covers “personnel hygiene” and “work wear and protective clothing”.

Look at her clothes. Is this type of grandmothers sweater allowed to wear oncovered? Shouldn't a smock cover hands in this situation, or at least to put shorter covers on arms?
Regards
Inesa
p.s. please don't think I ciritise sweater itself, I like this type, but I think it's unsutable as industrial clothing

Edited by Inesa, 06 April 2011 - 04:19 PM.

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

It was used on the front page of a brochure belonging to an international food safety / quality assurance Certification Body.

I won't name the company (whom is quite renowned), but when I emailed them of my concerns about her wearing makeup, this is the response I received:

Thank you for your feedback on the food safety image. I appreciate you contacting ****.

The person within the image adequately adheres to internationally accepted Good Manufacturing Practices (based on Codex Alimentarius and ratified by over 155 countries) that are recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative. Specifically, the image adheres to PAS 220:2008 section 10 which covers “Measures for prevention of cross contamination” and section 13 which covers “personnel hygiene” and “work wear and protective clothing”. The GMP and PAS 220 focus on objects that can contaminate the product from a foreign material point of view. Example – rings with stones, earrings, false nails, buttons, fraying clothing material, hair, etc. Make up is not considered unacceptable within the GMP.

I guess I was wrong when I gave someone a corrective action for wearing makeup whilst baking...

Great picture for debate :clap:

I agree with them, IMO make up isn't the problem, but there are so many other hazards here....... just highlighted a few from their example.

Also isn't it accepted good practice to use coloured aprons and gloves? :uhm:

Benko

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

This picture is a great debate starter!

To me the biggest issue I see is the trays the fruit is on. That doesn't look like rust to me but just caked on grime.
A close second place would have to be the fuzz that is going to fall off her sweater sleeves and end up on the sliced fruit.

mkinderman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

It appears there are BUTONS on her smock under the apron, not snaps.

Claudia_QP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Paraguay
    Paraguay
  • Interests:FSMS, QMS, Food technology

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

I agree with the trays being the biggest hazard. The make up should definitely not be accepted and that sweater.. well... :doh:I guess sometimes certification is not about safety...

mkinderman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

It appears there are BUTTONS on her smock under the apron, not snaps.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

It appears there are BUTONS on her smock under the apron, not snaps.

Gold star but post removed for duplication?

Antores

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 63 thanks
Good

• Colombia
    Colombia
  • Interests:Photograpy

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

If we start with the fact that there is no perfect operation, you could find something wrong in almost any picture, and it is common that even in pictures used for brochures, training and presentation you could find at least a little improvement opportunity.

Now, with that said; what is wrong in here is obvious to me; when the picture was taken, they were more concerned about the esthetic of the picture than food safety itself. I’ll dare to say they just hired a photographer and asked him to take pictures for a brochure; marketing worked on this and was not reviewed from a food safety stand point.

The excessive makeup and the nice sweeter is proof of that, but also the fact that the fruit bowls are placed on baking trays to display. (By the way, I don’t think is rust or dirt, those are used baking trays with baking residues).

Now, after many copies had being printed and distributed, it was probably easier to find reason (or excuse) to get along with the makeup. Although makeup may not be explicit in Codex, and it may not ba a major concern for pathogenic contamination, it may represent chemical contamination..., if not, how many of you would like to buy one of those biscuits with lipstick on it?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

Dear Antores,

Nice summary, not too sure about the sweeter biscuits though ? :biggrin:

just hired a photographer

and a (lonely) assistant ? :smile:

I'm still curious about the objects sticking up from the floor in the dark background like horse-shoe repairing blocks, not to mention the Roswell-type 2-fingered thingy.

@ Jakmqa,
USA ? And no burgers ??

Make up is not considered unacceptable within the GMP.

By inference ?. Not a very strong defence ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Carlos Leoncini

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina
  • Interests:Food safety, Quality, BRC stds, cleaning and sanitation technologies, PCQI

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hi, I would like to question the cotton sweeter (?) and the use of mouth mask.

Antores

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 63 thanks
Good

• Colombia
    Colombia
  • Interests:Photograpy

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

I meant sweater of course, and by biscuits I meant the bakery stuff that is in the picture, whatever it is. But now that you mention it, yes, they tried too hard to make the model look like a sweetie.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:21 AM

if not, how many of you would like to buy one of those biscuits with lipstick on it?

What..........with a chunk missing?

Eya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

Hi to all,

Yes the employee is wearing too much make-up/cosmetic.

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

The heavy make up could imply heavy perfume too - but it's not smell-a-vision so let's give the nice lady the benfit of the doubt on that one...?!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Is it just me as well but isn't her protective clothing short sleeved?! I don't like heavy make up but there are more important things in this picture IMO (there's another thread on make up on here) but there are so many other things. I would not use this company...

Emily

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

I don't find that the makeup is a food safety hazard. I do believe a smock would be acceptable attire whereas the sweater could pose a foreign material risk to the ready-to-eat food.

Benko

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Not sure what the policy should be on this(I'm in packaging not food), but should what looks like sliced fruit(behind her) be on these trays. Weather it be dirt, grime, or baking residue; don't think I would want to eat that if I saw where it came from. But I have been called over zealous before...

QANewHopeMills

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi to all,

Heavy make up, she may be wearing false eyelashes and her employee badge could be a problem.

Trace

rickquality55

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

My main concern is the lack of sleeve protection. I have worked in a bakery / food setting where the trays like those have been cleaned but still display the browing, especially if they are used for baking. As long as there is no rust or flaking off of the trays, they should be ok.
The name tag should be ok as long as it is behind the disposable apron.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

Dear rickquality,

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

As long as there is no rust or flaking off of the trays, they should be ok.

I fear the general public may be less assured. :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Will5

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

I have to say that even though I noticed the grime on the trays in front of her, and the carts behind her, that the fuzzy sweater arms and collar make me forget about the grime...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users