• Quick Navigation
Photo

Need assistance with cooked shrimp validation .

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Ratan Kumar Datta

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Bangladesh
    Bangladesh

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:10 AM

Dear simon
Good morning . I am facing a audit problem. IFS auditor finding that no details validation record of IQF Cooked shrimp. Please advice me about cooked shrimp validation .

Best regards

ratan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

Dear simon
Good morning . I am facing a audit problem. IFS auditor finding that no details validation record of IQF Cooked shrimp. Please advice me about cooked shrimp validation .

Best regards

ratan

Dear Ratankumardatta,

Welcome to the Forum :welcome: !

It may depend on yr local regulations but if yr area is following the European model, it is necessary to show that the lethality of yr cooking process is equal to or greater than one sufficient to generate a core shrimp temperature of 70degC for 2 minutes in yr largest sized shrimp. Such a process delivers a 6D bacterial reduction for L.monocytogenes which is assumed to be the most heat resistant species commonly found in shrimp. (the Americans prefer to calculate based on Salmonella).

To demonstrate the above, you have to obtain a few core temperature profiles of yr shrimp versus the cooking time. The exact method will depend on how you cook, eg conveyor / vat etc. Then you can either directly interpret from the graph or do some calculations as in textbooks for canning. Or buy a thermocouple/software package which sits in the shrimp and does it for you.
Some localities may accept a lower figure than 6D, it depends on yr regulations and maybe the validatable level of L.monocytogenes in yr input shrimp.
It may also be necessary to hv some validated lab. results which show that there is no detectable L.mono... in the finished product.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

bala_s

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Dear Ratankumardatta,

You should have cooking validation study report for cooked IQf shrimp, if it is labelled as ready to eat.
You can do cooking validation study yourself or approach research institute for this study.
You can send shrimp samples to institute or call them at your factory and ask them to do. Doing at your cooking machine will give more accurate result than doing at research institute.
In seafood particularly shrimp, will have mixture of size. So cooking time and temperature have to set as per size.
In general during seafood cooking constant temperature is maintained and cooking time is adjusted as per the size to attain required core temperature.

L. momocytogenes is used for validation study.

regards / bala

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Dear Ratankumardatta,

I hope some of the previous information was helpful ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Dear Ratankumardatta,

Welcome to the Forum :welcome: !

It may depend on yr local regulations but if yr area is following the European model, it is necessary to show that the lethality of yr cooking process is equal to or greater than one sufficient to generate a core shrimp temperature of 70degC for 2 minutes in yr largest sized shrimp. Such a process delivers a 6D bacterial reduction for L.monocytogenes which is assumed to be the most heat resistant species commonly found in shrimp. (the Americans prefer to calculate based on Salmonella).

To demonstrate the above, you have to obtain a few core temperature profiles of yr shrimp versus the cooking time. The exact method will depend on how you cook, eg conveyor / vat etc. Then you can either directly interpret from the graph or do some calculations as in textbooks for canning. Or buy a thermocouple/software package which sits in the shrimp and does it for you.
Some localities may accept a lower figure than 6D, it depends on yr regulations and maybe the validatable level of L.monocytogenes in yr input shrimp.
It may also be necessary to hv some validated lab. results which show that there is no detectable L.mono... in the finished product.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles.C

Although my question is out of the primary issue I would like to ask you where can I find those parameters ( 70ºC. 2 minutes, 6D)you mentioned? ¿ any codex recomendation? ¿ any recognized study? ¿ any legislation?.

Thank you so much in advance

Best regards
Esther

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Dear Charles.C

Although my question is out of the primary issue I would like to ask you where can I find those parameters ( 70ºC. 2 minutes, 6D)you mentioned? ¿ any codex recomendation? ¿ any recognized study? ¿ any legislation?.

Thank you so much in advance

Best regards
Esther

Dear Esther,

The specific values I quoted for seafood are typical but probably not universal within EC. The data is basically a result of selecting a (temperature vs time) pair for a given D value / target species (from a table, see below).

There is a Codex document on processing cooked seafood (somewhere) which contains the relevant table and discussion. The table is (in my draft hard copy) essentially the same as this one -

Attached File  mm1 - usfda - UCM251970 04242012.pdf   4.34MB   159 downloads
(Table A3, pg 422)

Further detailed explanation of the selection logic is here –
http://seafood.ucdav...ium/chapt03.htm

An example of my (and alternative) T vs. t data derived from above table is here –
Attached File  mm2 - uk fsa 2005 - guide to food hygiene.pdf   2.7MB   151 downloads
(pg 14 )

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Nirbhay Pampaniya

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

Contact BFRI and they'll conduct the cooking validation study. At the end of the study, you'll have ideal temperature for cooking shrimps and recommended cooking time for each grade of Shrimp.

And also establish the validation frequency.

Regards,

Nirbhay

BritAbroad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

If you were to follow a 6 log reduction on 70 for 2 minutes - You would be out of business due to yield loss !!!! Following a 5 log reduction completed by the Canadian food inspection agency and Health Canada uses a 5 log reduction. 72 or more for 12 seconds or longer !!

I have the document they use but I am new and do not know how to attach a file to this forum so if someone could please let me know then I will share the information.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi BritAbroad,

Thanks for yr post and Welcome to the Forum !

AFAIK, the Regulatory choice of XD is solely based on  Safety logic. Opinions on appropriate XDs may vary for reasons such as raw material microbial quality. IMEX it's a question of HACCP Validation/Verification.

To post a file (using FFox) type your message into the posting box then click the tab "more reply options" on right hand side below the posting box. This produces a new page with an expanded view.  Instructions for attaching a file are under the posting box  on left hand side. Just follow the browse > attach tabs to upload and the uploaded file will eventually appear (green tick).  Click the "add to post" bottom tab to enter the file into the posting box and then the "add reply" tab to finish. Hope that works.

thks again for yr input.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users