foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

Dear all,

I am currently drafting a Hazard analysis sheet for a juice manufacturing company. On it I have found only three CCPs
no. 1 on receiving of apple concentrates (low patulin limits via COA from suppliers)
no. 2 on filtration (for fragments and other foreign bodies, that might be present in any raw materials or introduced by food handlers during preparation)
no. 3 pasteurization.

I have set the critical limits for the above based on the Q&A i have seen from other sites, but I just would like to ask if you have any reference documents you could share for me to validate the critical limits and further strengthen the CCPs.

your help is much appreaciated,

Kind regards,
food safety boy

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

Dear foodsafetyboy,

try read this thread:
http://www.ifsqn.com...h__1#entry43425

http://www.ifsqn.com...h__1#entry43175

or you can search another thread in this site.

Regards,
Hadi

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply HPG, I have seen the thread and I already have the references for the pasteurization.

I just need references for the critical limits I have set for Filtration (applicable not only for apples but for a variety of juice concentrates) and Patulin limits being 0.8mm mesh and <50ppb respectively.

Please advise.

Regards,
Food Safety Boy

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Dear foodsafetyboy,

I can maybe assist with the 50 ppb -

Explanatory note:
FDA has established an action level for patulin in apple juice of 50 micrograms per kilogram (50 parts per billion) as determined on single strength apple juice or reconstituted single strength apple juice (if the food is an apple juice concentrate). See FDA’s Compliance Policy Guide (CPG) guidance for patulin at www.cfsan.fda.gov under “Pesticides and Chemical Contaminants,” in the subsection on “Natural Toxins”.

Attached File  bb2 - juicehaccpfirstedition.pdf   690.04KB   212 downloads
(pg 150)

Note this publication, very well done IMO but, as stated, is the 1st edition [don't know if there was a 2nd ed?] and is quite old (2002) so the link above may hv changed / been re-organised. But IMEX of FDA will probably still exist (somewhere). I hv frequently needed to use their search bar to find quoted links only a few years old. Sometimes even faster to go back to Google with the referenced document.

Maybe the 0.8mm there also ? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

added - i subsequently noticed this (not old) document which contains a named ref. to the filtration aspect although specific CCP data not mentioned. More CCPs than you, maybe an up-to-date American version is the most reliable but depending perhaps on where you are. :smile:
Attached File  bb1 - HACCP_Plan_Apple_Juice.pdf   226.59KB   173 downloads
(pg 15)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

How are you filling the juice - glass bottles, aseptic plastic bottles cartons?

There could be other areas to examine here such as peroxide contact parameters.

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply HPG, I have seen the thread and I already have the references for the pasteurization.

I just need references for the critical limits I have set for Filtration (applicable not only for apples but for a variety of juice concentrates) and Patulin limits being 0.8mm mesh and <50ppb respectively.

Please advise.

Regards,
Food Safety Boy

Dear foodsafetyboy,

For filtration, how do you choose the CL (0,8 mm mesh) ?
Is it by trial? or the standard from supplier ?

You can also read another references from the link below
http://www.fda.gov/f...ccp/default.htm

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:12 AM

Do note that if you are in the USA (I do not know about other countries) if you are producing shelf-stable juice, the "pasteurization" step (5-log reduction) need not be a CCP provided it is a single thermal step and the process is documented. You will find this in the FDA's Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (2004). Admittedly, when I was coming from meat processing to take a job in juice processing, it took me a long time to wrap my mind around that one!

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hello Foodworker,

We are manufacturing juice concentrates and are packaging them in an aseptic bags (bulk) and are then sealed inside a drum.

Regards,
Food safety boy

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

@Charles C. - the documents are really useful.. thanks much..

@RMAV - to be honest, I also came from a Food manufacturing / retail industry. It really is hard adjusting to a new environment (juice manufacturing company)..Posted Image

@HPG - 0.8mm is just a trial to be honest, that's why I am looking for any reference document or recommendation for its size.

I decided to put filtration as a CCP to mainly reduce / eliminate Hazards (to be more specific, Physical hazards). Though most of the hazards are controlled with our approved supplier program and receiving SOP, there are still chances of having physical contaminants into our food introduced by food handlers / visitors during production period (which are also covered with our personal hygiene SOP and monitoring visitors SOP) . Justification for my decision is because there are no further step in the process to eliminate physical hazards once they are introduced into the product.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

Its probably not going to be a CCP, depending upon your set up and process, but make sure that you evaluate any hazards with the sterility of the bags and seal integrity.

Also, do you use any preservatives as well as pasteurisation as these levels may be a CCP.

0.8mm sounds quite small to me. Are you using pre-filtered juice or cloudy fresh pressed apple juice. If it is cloudy you may get processing problems.

Like the other posts, I am not aware of any prescribed particle size limits, but if you consider that a 1mm sensitivity metal detector is better than average, a 0.8mm sieve is quite tight. Obviously it is best practice to go for the smallest size possible. What types of foreign bodies are you seeing?

Thanked by 1 Member:

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:05 AM

@HPG - 0.8mm is just a trial to be honest, that's why I am looking for any reference document or recommendation for its size.

I decided to put filtration as a CCP to mainly reduce / eliminate Hazards (to be more specific, Physical hazards). Though most of the hazards are controlled with our approved supplier program and receiving SOP, there are still chances of having physical contaminants into our food introduced by food handlers / visitors during production period (which are also covered with our personal hygiene SOP and monitoring visitors SOP) . Justification for my decision is because there are no further step in the process to eliminate physical hazards once they are introduced into the product.

Dear foodsafetyboy,

IMO, CL for filtration is unbroken/undamaged.
If you set 0,8 mesh for CL, you need to know the physical hazard that has size less and more than 0,8 mm.
Have you ever consider that?
Just like foodworker said, if you produce cloudy juice, it can be a problem. do you produce cloudy juice also?

Regards,
Hadi

Thanked by 1 Member:

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Its probably not going to be a CCP, depending upon your set up and process, but make sure that you evaluate any hazards with the sterility of the bags and seal integrity.

Also, do you use any preservatives as well as pasteurisation as these levels may be a CCP.

0.8mm sounds quite small to me. Are you using pre-filtered juice or cloudy fresh pressed apple juice. If it is cloudy you may get processing problems.

Like the other posts, I am not aware of any prescribed particle size limits, but if you consider that a 1mm sensitivity metal detector is better than average, a 0.8mm sieve is quite tight. Obviously it is best practice to go for the smallest size possible. What types of foreign bodies are you seeing?

>we are actually using pre-filtered juice concentrates as raw materials, I have set it to 0.8mm to generally nullify chances of having foreign bodies like insects, loose hairs, screws and etc. (though we dont have history of such)
If you have any reference document you could share for the mesh size used for filtration that would sure be appreciated.
Thanks for the insights.

Regards, food safety boy

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

Dear foodsafetyboy,

Try look this link : http://www.qfilter.c...cumentDetail/16
You can see some example item's size in micron.

You can also read these :
http://www.honey.com.../filtration.pdf
ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/004/y2515e/

Regards,
Hadi

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

Dear foodsafetyboy,

ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/004/y2515e/

Regards,
Hadi

Dear HPG,

Fascinating stuff. :clap: Although I'm not quite sure if it answers facesafetyboy's requirement or not ?.

BTW, main index for yr last link above is here -

http://www.fao.org/d...2515e00.htm#toc
(Marginally [2001] older than my previous link, seems like HACCP not yet entered juice business at that time)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

HPG

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

Dear HPG,

Fascinating stuff. :clap: Although I'm not quite sure if it answers facesafetyboy's requirement or not ?.

BTW, main index for yr last link above is here -

http://www.fao.org/d...2515e00.htm#toc
(Marginally [2001] older than my previous link, seems like HACCP not yet entered juice business at that time)

Rgds / Charles.C

Well, not directly answered the question but I just want to give information about the size for some item so he/she can have guidance

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Dear foodsafetyboy,

ftp://ftp.fao.org/do...fao/004/y2515e/

Regards,
Hadi

Wow!! Thanks HPG, this really is of great help.. Posted Image

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users