Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

The title probably says it but anyway: When using an external trainer, for BRC requirements what is better - FDQ or CIEH accreditation/certification?

Thanks

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I was hoping to make 200 but it seems to have stalled at 187 views with no replies. Bump...?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Another bump for DD, anyone have a preference or believe one carries more weight than the other?

Thanks,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Steve E

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

D D

I don't visit the forum very often but would have replied earlier had I seen your question

The question asks which is better FDQ or CIEH - the awarding body doesn't really matter it is the knowledge and skills of the trainer that is most important. However in saying that many customers and auditors and of course EHO's will prefer long established and better known organisations, taking this into consideration CIEH are the best known, RSPH probably the longest established, HABC backed by Richard Sprenger and the Higfield team, although a newer awarding body, have an excellent pedigree, being involved with both of the other awarding bodies for many years.

FDQ are a newer organsiation, I was aware that they set up NVQ qualifications for the Food and Drink Industry (as we don't offer NVQ's I have never dealt with them) but did not know they offered Hygiene Courses, as the courses listed on the website are not "clickable" I could not find out any information relating to syllabuses. I have no reason to believe their training courses are not as good as the other awarding bodies but without access to information could not comment further. Two of the four people who have commented on FDQ on their website, Lee Cooper form Seafish and Chris Shepherd from Duchy College are known to me and would not give praise that was undeserved.

I have run a CIEH and RSPH and HABC accredited centre with my colleagues for 18 years, I have trained many trainers during that time some very good some not as good. I have also seen some appaling efforts by so called accredited tutors from all backgrounds - so you really need to pick the trainer(s) that can provide good references and have a good reputation, the awarding body, whilst important, is in my opinion a secondary matter.

I hope that this explanation helps - my company would, of course, be happy to help with training :)

Regards

Steve Ellison, Food Safety and HACCP Trainer

Thanked by 2 Members:

gtjs

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I hope that this explanation helps - my company would, of course, be happy to help with training :)

Regards

Steve Ellison, Food Safety and HACCP Trainer

Didn't know you were on here Steve!

Hope I'm not breaking any IFSQN rules but I can recommend Steve's company 100% & I'm not associated in any way other than as a client.

(Gary Spires)

Sarah Marshall

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

A little late to the party, I have just seen the discussion here. As a member of the team at FDQ, I thought I would share some info.

Thanks for your fair and balanced comments Steve. I have checked our website, and will rectify the techical issue around the structure documents not being clickable. Thank you for drawing my attention to it. We agree that the ability of the trainer is critical in developing skills and knowledge within learners. However, thought I would provide a little information about FDQ in response to the intial question: 'FDQ or CIEH?'

FDQ has been around for approxmately 14 years, having been set up by the Meat Training Council. So we have quite a heritage, perhaps we share a little more information with the world about that. In terms of our pedigree, we are lucky enough to have some incredibly well known names from the world of qualifications development - being run by Amanda Clark and Derek Williams

We have been accrediting and quality assuring Food Safety (or Food Hygiene) for many years. We have just revamped and relaunched an updated package which we believe rivals any of the larger, better known awarding organisations.

As we are accredited by Ofqual, all our qualifications are strictly regulated and have the same requirements as the better known providers. What is more, we have worked hard to develop a highly flexible package to enable trainers (be they independent or within food businesses) to have more control over examination and assessment. We are getting fantastic feedback, that we are saving time and money for businesses whilst maintaining standards and rigour. Users are loving the fact that they have the exam papers and can mark their own and then claim online.

We have worked hard to remove unncessary red tape, bureaucracy and cost!

Thanks,
Sarah Marshall

Edited by Simon, 10 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.
Removed links and email address

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users