Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

Source: http://www.irca.org/...ssrelease18.htm

IRCA announces requirements for Food Safety Auditor transition to ISO 22000:2005

The IRCA Food Safety Auditor programme has undergone a major revision and is now based on the new ISO 22000:2005, Food safety management systems - Requirements throughout the food chain, replacing ISO 9001:2000+ISO 15161:2001 as the reference standard for this programme.

This important change will require certificated FSMS auditors to demonstrate that they have updated themselves with the standard and that they understand the implications of these changes in the context of their FSMS auditing activities.

What is the transition requirement for IRCA certificated FSMS auditors?

All IRCA certificated FSMS auditors will need to complete 4 hours of continuing professional development (CPD) focused on ISO 22000:2005 before completing any acceptable audits to the standard. This CPD and auditor's completed audits will be reviewed during the normal tri-annual renewal of certification. Auditors must include details of their relevant CPD in the CPD log that they submit as part of this process, and clearly note which standard each audit was conducted against in their audit log.

When does this start?

IRCA will accept transition CPD and audits to the new standard from January 2006.

What kind of CPD will IRCA accept?

IRCA does not require FSMS auditors to complete a specific transition CPD, and auditors may achieve this in a number of ways as is consistent with usual IRCA approach to CPD:

• On the job training
  • In-house training and seminars with your company
  • Attendance at relevant conferences, seminars and workshops
  • Reading (including the IRCA/300 briefing note and other relevant articles)
  • A speficif FSMS auditor transition course

IRCA will provide a list of ISO 22000:2005 events and seminars that are acceptable for CPD: this will not be an exhaustive list and other CPD is acceptable. These events are offered by IRCA approved training organizations and OEAs, but are not formally certified by IRCA and, therefore, do not fall under IRCA control even though IRCA accepts them for CPD along with other training and events.

Download the FSMS auditor briefing note and transition requirements (IRCA/300)

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:38 AM

The information retrieved from IRCA Web Site is extremely interesting. There are now 3 IRCA Certificated Food Lead Auditors each in China and Japan, 1 in Thailand, Singapore and Australia but Japan leads the race with just under 90 Food Safety Provisional Auditors waiting for upgrade to full certification.

Other provisional food auditors are 1 each in Malaysia and Hong Kong. I am sure we will see more to come on stream as we move ahead as IRCA is well aware of the current shortage of IRCA Certificated Food Auditors in the market to drive the ISO 22000.

Draft 22003 being released long ago and couple with 22004 and the standard itself, there are no more excuses for complaint

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

The information retrieved from IRCA Web Site is extremely interesting. There are now 3 IRCA Certificated Food Lead Auditors each in China and Japan, 1 in Thailand, Singapore and Australia but Japan leads the race with just under 90 Food Safety Provisional Auditors waiting for upgrade to full certification.

Other provisional food auditors are 1 each in Malaysia and Hong Kong. I am sure we will see more to come on stream as we move ahead as IRCA is well aware of the current shortage of IRCA Certificated Food Auditors in the market to drive the ISO 22000.

Wow that's massive in Japan Charles, as a matter of interest where do you get your figures from? Also do you know anything about Europe or the US?

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:30 AM

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

Charles,

a note of caution regarding IRCA certification of FSMS auditors.

I currently meet the certification requirements for the IRCA (and am in fact putting together an application next week) but I would in no way feel competent to audit all food premisis.

It is a nice badge to have (hence the application) but being an IRCA approved auditor in no way ensures that the auditor is fully competent for all food audits.

Requesting a CV for any auditor should still be considered before any third party audit

James

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

James,
I am deeply impressed with your honesty and humbleness. I am sure you will undoubtedly make the grades with IRCA. All the best on your application.

Interestingly, taking the cue from your comment on the uncertain competency of "newly" certificated IRCA auditors, we are well aware of this possible misleading title. And, I further endorse Jame's advice and emphasize as I previously did so that it is extremely important to ask your food auditor for their CVs before one considers appointment.

Having taken an organization through the pilot scheme, I know how monstrous ISO 22000 requirements can be but it was a beautiful experience. Frankly, looking at the current situation in Malaysia, most food auditors are not ready for conversion in dealing with ISO 22000 or for that matter, correctly interpret the standard.

Curiously, there are also a couple of organizations who claim to be representing and are providing IRCA registered / approved ISO 22000 Food Auditor conversion courses in Malaysia but to date, we have no idea what the results are as we see no emergence of successful registrations with IRCA in this area.

Are we looking at an emergence of "bandwagon marketing" here or are these organizations truly competent to provide these courses? It is important that IRCA should come forth to highlight whether these courses and the materials (which I have seen) are indeed IRCA approved because they are pretty slack. Furthermore, it is imperative that the trainer be an IRCA Certifcated Food Auditor as well should the respect of participants and recognition be accepted.........not forgeting the values and the image.

I resign to the same opinion as James that I would be suspicious of any food auditors who claim to be recently certificated by IRCA. Can IRCA validate their trainers and course materials :beer:

Edited by charleschew, 17 March 2006 - 04:22 PM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

johanelmander457

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Uruguay
    Uruguay

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users