• Quick Navigation
Photo

What is the Definition of a Contracted Service Provider?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

rotiboy1002

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

I am still not very clear on which service provider is considered as "contracted service provider". Do you consider a random guy that was hired to do a paint job as contracted service provider?

How do we evaluate a service provider? is it ok to use a same document for evaluation and approval?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,230 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

I am still not very clear on which service provider is considered as "contracted service provider". Do you consider a random guy that was hired to do a paint job as contracted service provider?

How do we evaluate a service provider? is it ok to use a same document for evaluation and approval?

Do you consider a random guy that was hired to do a paint job as contracted service provider? - No I would cover that off with a work permit, normally contracted service providers are regular/have a period of contract rather than one offs

How do we evaluate a service provider? is it ok to use a same document for evaluation and approval? - Same as evaluating a supplier?/Yes why not, no need to generate documents for the sake of it.

Regards,

Tony

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Contracted service providers are the people that come on site regularly to do stuff, ( calibration technicians, laundry, pest control)
I use the same document for both approval and evaluation.... and as a contract, I get them to sign it after they have read the terms and conditions and I know they understand about the food safety aspects of their work ( changing into High Risk gear, getting hygiene sign off and so on)

The random guy who is in to paint hopefully won't be painting while there is production going on......whereas these other people may well be in and out while the plant is in operation

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I use the same document for both approval and evaluation.... and as a contract, I get them to sign it after they have read the terms and conditions and I know they understand about the food safety aspects of their work ( changing into High Risk gear, getting hygiene sign off and so on)

This sounds like a good idea as people are struggling with the concept of a formal "contract", which does not always exist for a specific service. I guess you are suggesting a general document you have created that highlights site requirements and the importance of their service but can apply to many different providers? You then get them to sign off on that, also after reading some key procedures like hygiene etc?

As for which services, I always connect with anything "product related". While the painter can be related to the infrastructure/facilities prerequisite it is probably unnecessary to do so but definitely needed for pest control (easy as a contract is needed there) but also calibration, laundry provider etc...

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

This sounds like a good idea as people are struggling with the concept of a formal "contract", which does not always exist for a specific service. I guess you are suggesting a general document you have created that highlights site requirements and the importance of their service but can apply to many different providers? You then get them to sign off on that, also after reading some key procedures like hygiene etc?

As for which services, I always connect with anything "product related". While the painter can be related to the infrastructure/facilities prerequisite it is probably unnecessary to do so but definitely needed for pest control (easy as a contract is needed there) but also calibration, laundry provider etc...

I have a Contractors code of practice which is the general food safety/GMP that you would expect from anyone entering the process area,
I have had to customise the ones for specialized areas like pest control,and laundry to include the service expectations ( number of visits, what we require if there is an infestation, the colour coding of clean and dirty)
I print 2 copies, ask the provider to read them and then sign both, they keep one and I keep one on file. I review annually to make sure that we are all up to date, if there are any changes to be made , I make them and then spend a week or two chasing various contractors to get the document resigned ( that doesn't happen very often happily).
I have attached a generic document for anyone who wants an idea of where to start.

I try to keep documents to a minimum so I try to create documents that can tick as many boxes as possible.... Many of my docs have originated from this forum ( thanks to everyone whose work I have plagerised).

Attached Files

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:
D-D

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users