• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hello everyone,

First I want to thank you all for the help and advise you have given me thru the last year. I'm happy to say we just got level 2 certified. One of the NCR's that was raised was the change in temperatures in one of our coolers when we change commodities being held. We are a freight forwarder who handles many various products including tropical fruit. During our busy season however we handle all berries and the tropical fruit business dies off. We change the temperature/clean and sanitize/ this room before changing it over to a berry storage room. When I had my audit it was raised as an NCR as to how I ensure that there was no product in the cooler when I changed the temperature and how I record such a thing. The way I recorded it was by placing a remark on my daily temperature log of what commodity was in the cooler at the time. The auditor believed this was insufficient.

I was wondering if any of you had a practical solution that will satisfy the auditor and also be useful for us. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Simon, 01 November 2012 - 07:09 PM.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hello Retep,

What particular SQF clause did they cite and what was the actual wording from the auditor of how your procedure did not satisfy that clause?

-B

retep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hello Baron,

The Clause is as follows:

2.2.1.1 Document Control (2, 3) (M)

The methods and responsibility for maintaining document control and ensuring staff

have access to current documents shall be documented and implemented.

What I believe was implied was that if we move product out of that cooler to modify the temperature, that the product moved was handled in a safe manner. Although it was written on our daily temperture checks, the auditor wanted more proof that the product moved was safe. I am currently writing another procedure for doing so and I have modified my daily temperature sheet to include a line for the commodities that are held in that cooler so that during my audits I can prove to the auditor that when the temperture was changed, the product that was inside the cooler is in it's appropriate temperature range. Do you think this will satisfy the requirement ?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Dear retep,

Not a SQF user but it rather sounds to me like the auditor was looking for a specific SOP to cover the aspect you refer. Perhaps he/she was uncertain whether the people involved knew what they were doing, safety-wise ?

Do you hv one already or is it fully included / described / documented in another procedure ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users