• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hello All

Where can I find information or research on specific ingredients.(Sodium Bicarb, Sugar, Wheat, Oat flour, Salt) in regards to ingredient hazards analysis.

Will there be any significant hazards to the products above even though they are all very low moisture <5.0%

Is there website that congregates this data? or is the info usually found in a specific ingredient research paper.

This is the first time we have and do to ingredient hazard analysis because we usually serve and an intermittent customer processor, Ingredients come from and go back to the customer. But this time we are buying the ingredients and shipping them to a different customer.

Thanks to all.

SpiceGenius

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi HACCP Apprentice,

Try the CODEX Alimentarius Website: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/
Using their search engine, enter the name of your ingredients. As per of the the description of the standard for that specific item, there is also descriptions of the different dangers associated.
Example Wheat Flour:
Contaminants:

5.1 Heavy metals
Wheat flour shall be free from heavy metals in amounts which may represent a hazard to human health.
5.2 Pesticide residues
Wheat flour shall comply with those maximum residue limits established by the Codex Alimentarius Commission for this commodity.
5.3 Mycotoxins
Wheat flour shall comply with those maximum mycotoxin limits established by the Codex Alimentarius Commission for this commodity.

When I went through the process myself, I was given guidance to the CODEX website by our auditor when also gave me the Canadian list of dangers associated to different ingredients. There is surely a similar list by USDA by I never found it.
I hope this helps,

Hello All

Where can I find information or research on specific ingredients.(Sodium Bicarb, Sugar, Wheat, Oat flour, Salt) in regards to ingredient hazards analysis.

Will there be any significant hazards to the products above even though they are all very low moisture <5.0%

Is there website that congregates this data? or is the info usually found in a specific ingredient research paper.

This is the first time we have and do to ingredient hazard analysis because we usually serve and an intermittent customer processor, Ingredients come from and go back to the customer. But this time we are buying the ingredients and shipping them to a different customer.

Thanks to all.

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

Dear HACCP Apprentice:

You can also find the related info from:
a) Own country Food Regulations or importing countries' Food Regulations
b) Product specifications (from suppliers)
c) Scientific literature
d) Others e.g. Codex Alimentarius, USFDA etc.

Yong

qtryst

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thanks all. This has been useful to me too

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has a rather large hazard data base which covers a lot of materials and processess - this might be useful for you to reference.

the database can be found at:

Hazard datebase

Kind regards,

Sarah

Thanked by 4 Members:

HACCPApprentice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wow,

Great Stuff.

Thank you all!

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi Sarah,

seems to be interesting but I can't open the link even if I segned in. Can you please sent the link "open" means full URL.

Thanks

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has a rather large hazard data base which covers a lot of materials and processess - this might be useful for you to reference.

the database can be found at:

Hazard datebase

Kind regards,

Sarah

SpursGirl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 83 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi Sarah,

seems to be interesting but I can't open the link even if I segned in. Can you please sent the link "open" means full URL.

Thanks

Hi

Weird.....when i click on the link it works for me! But I am definately not the most computer friendly person in the world! I have the document as a PDF which I have attached - maybe that will be of more use!

sarah

Attached File  Hazard0DataBaseEnglish2008.pdf   1.17MB   530 downloads

Thanked by 3 Members:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hi Sarah,

thank you very much - this is a very helpful document. I could not find this document with google engine. Is their any update available?

moskito

Hi

Weird.....when i click on the link it works for me! But I am definately not the most computer friendly person in the world! I have the document as a PDF which I have attached - maybe that will be of more use!

sarah

Attached File  Hazard0DataBaseEnglish2008.pdf   1.17MB   530 downloads

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Sarah,

That most definitely is one intense PDF.

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users