• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 56 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Hi,

Can anybody suggest me the proper way of Egg (shelled) washing & sanitizing please?

:helpplease:

Edited by azaam nafiz, 22 February 2013 - 07:04 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

Can anybody suggest me the proper way of Egg (shelled) washing & sanitizing please?

:helpplease:

Hi azaam nafiz,

There are several quite detailed reference documents on this forum concerning shell egg processing but i am guessing you have seen these already. :smile:

i don't offhand recall any of them specifically discussing yr query, from memory the usual problem is whether chemicals used require additional water washing or not. Some are authorised (US) to not.

Perhaps some expansion / clarification of yr (brief) OP might help :rolleyes: ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

azaam nafiz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 56 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Hi azaam nafiz,

There are several quite detailed reference documents on this forum concerning shell egg processing but i am guessing you have seen these already. :smile:

i don't offhand recall any of them specifically discussing yr query, from memory the usual problem is whether chemicals used require additional water washing or not. Some are authorised (US) to not.

Perhaps some expansion / clarification of yr (brief) OP might help :rolleyes: ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi Charles,

yep charles,i went through some of them.what im concerned are,
  • is it ok to soak eggs during washing?
  • is it ok if we do not wax them after washing (as per my country regulations it is not allowed)?
  • what are the detergents & disinfectants applicable?
thanks

azaam

CiliaB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Washing can cause more harm than good , I would say. Can you perhaps keep the dirty ones aside? I will suggest to dip the eggs in a Hydrogen peroxide of 10 % dosage to trail.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hello Azaam, you may want to check out the Secure Egg Supply website, it offers a tremendous amount of free information for download including guidelines, procedures, checklists etc. I think you will find it a great help.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Mariah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

• is it ok to soak eggs during washing?

It is not okay to soak eggs during washing.  If after the initial washing the eggs are still dirty, they are to be removed at the candlelight and placed on a flat to be rewashed/processed.

• is it ok if we do not wax them after washing (as per my country regulations it is not allowed)?

In the US it is okay not to wax them after washing.  Sometimes eggs are oiled, but not in all cases.

• what are the detergents & disinfectants applicable

There are several food grade detergents that can be used.  nsf.org has a large listing of these items.  Also a chemical representative can point you into the correct direction.  It is best to wash eggs at least 90F or 20 degrees higher than the internal temperature of the egg and with a pH above a 10. 

Mariah

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users