• Quick Navigation
Photo

Please help me with Plant Hygiene SOP

Share this

Best Answer , 23 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hello everybody,

I have started to create a SOPs and stuck with Plant Hygiene SOP. Because most of the hygiene conditions satisfying BRC clauses are mentioned in Personnel Hygiene and External Contract SOPs. I could think of how to start with this Plant Hygiene SOP and weirdly I was thinking is it really SOP?  Please help me. Thanks in advance..

Karthik

Dear KarthikP,

What topics do you understand as concerning “plant hygiene” ?

Pre-requisite programmes. The basic environmental and operational conditions in a food business

that are necessary for the production of safe food. These control generic hazards covering Good

Manufacturing and Good Hygienic Practice as detailed in Section II, Parts 4–7.

In BRC6 food, many (most?)  typical factory hygiene SOPs ( aka SSOPs) are implied in  Parts 4, 7 ?

IMEX, using SSOPs is OK as long as they cover the requirements of the standard. As per previous post, ultimately "Forms" will inevitably be involved which I simply cross-referenced to the SSOPs. But the specific format is up to you.

Rgds / Charles.C

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Karthik P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hello everybody,

I have started to create a SOPs and stuck with Plant Hygiene SOP. Because most of the hygiene conditions satisfying BRC clauses are mentioned in Personnel Hygiene and External Contract SOPs. I could think of how to start with this Plant Hygiene SOP and weirdly I was thinking is it really SOP?  Please help me. Thanks in advance..

Karthik

Regards, Karthik

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

Hello everybody,

Karthik

I recommend to make a simple checksheet rather than a SOP. It would help you or a person whose responsiblity is to maintain hygiene condition in the plant. That checksheet must not resemble a montly shoping list but a short and sweet summary of what you must want to see on shop floor. I have desinged two checksheets for my plant. One is to be maintained on daily basis and the second on monthly  basis. The points which need not to be verified on daily basis are included in second checksheet which have made daily checksheet sweet and simple and hence more practicable.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:21 AM   Best Answer

Hello everybody,

Karthik

Dear KarthikP,

What topics do you understand as concerning “plant hygiene” ?

Pre-requisite programmes. The basic environmental and operational conditions in a food business

that are necessary for the production of safe food. These control generic hazards covering Good

Manufacturing and Good Hygienic Practice as detailed in Section II, Parts 4–7.

In BRC6 food, many (most?)  typical factory hygiene SOPs ( aka SSOPs) are implied in  Parts 4, 7 ?

IMEX, using SSOPs is OK as long as they cover the requirements of the standard. As per previous post, ultimately "Forms" will inevitably be involved which I simply cross-referenced to the SSOPs. But the specific format is up to you.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Karthik P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Zeeshan & Charles,

Thank you for your inputs. I made a daily food safety check list which covers GMP, GHP and prerequisites and weekly plant hygiene checklist covering external environment, pest control, staff facilities and storage facilities. Please suggest if am missing anything. Thanking you. 

Regards

Karthik

Regards, Karthik

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Zeeshan & Charles,

Thank you for your inputs. I made a daily food safety check list which covers GMP, GHP and prerequisites and weekly plant hygiene checklist covering external environment, pest control, staff facilities and storage facilities. Please suggest if am missing anything. Thanking you. 

Regards

Karthik

Dear KarthikP,

As long as the checklists mentioned above / associated text cover the specified textual requirements in the standard, then you should not be missing anything. Most people initially implement a Gap List to expedite this aspect.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Karthik P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Charles. It was helpful in figuring it out how to start it now. 

Regards, Karthik

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

Zeeshan & Charles,

Regards

Karthik

Some important areas or sub-areas which I suggest:

1: Waste Control (covered drains, timely & proper waste diposal, covered, designated & adequate waste collecters)

2: Chemicals control (identified containers in designated secured place)

3: Personal Hygiene (hairnet, dedicated clean shoes, uniforms, clean lockers etc.)

4: Cleaning & sanitation (dedicated cleaned tools washed & stored in designated area away from production and storages areas, cleaned work surfaces, regular swab testing, 

5: Access  Control (personnel, contractors and visitors access controlled and areas secured, availabilty of Visitors Cards and Visitors record).

6: Separation (all areas and materials are kept separate as much as required during production & storage).

7: Physical Hazard control (controlled used of glass, wooden, items with metallic components ....etc items)

You should, as recommended by Charles, consult the applicable standard(s) to avoid missing of any aspect which might also be applicable to your industry.

Regards:
Muhammad Zeeshan Zaki.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Karthik P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:23 AM