• Quick Navigation
Photo

Will enclosing conveyors make our line low risk?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Conny T

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Photography, nature

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

We may have our 2. plant certified. This one manufacture fried fishcakes and fried herrings in brine. My question is:

In the same area we cuts out, fries and cools down the fishcakes (and herrings).

After the fishcakes (and herrings in another room) have been fried they are trasported on conveyors to the cooler - then continuing to next room to be packed frozen in cartons or chilled in vacuumpacks.

The frying-area must both be low and high risk area - and therefor all high risk.

Now my question is this:

I have always wanted these open conveyors to be covered or closed for safety. I see the opportunity here because if covered/closed I may argument for low risk-area and we can save a lot of money for controlled air flow, walls in the frying areas and designated changing areas.

Would it be too easy this way or have I got something right?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

We may have our 2. plant certified. This one manufacture fried fishcakes and fried herrings in brine. My question is:

In the same area we cuts out, fries and cools down the fishcakes (and herrings).

After the fishcakes (and herrings in another room) have been fried they are trasported on conveyors to the cooler - then continuing to next room to be packed frozen in cartons or chilled in vacuumpacks.

The frying-area must both be low and high risk area - and therefor all high risk.

Now my question is this:

I have always wanted these open conveyors to be covered or closed for safety. I see the opportunity here because if covered/closed I may argument for low risk-area and we can save a lot of money for controlled air flow, walls in the frying areas and designated changing areas.

Would it be too easy this way or have I got something right?

Dear conny,

You omitted to mention if the final products are RTE or not ?

If not, then i don't see where the "high risk" comes in at all.

If they are RTE, I don't think yr idea will make any "classification" difference. Sorry.

(Enclosing is  a good idea anyway though except, from my experience, and it may depend on the length of conveyor, the "free" cooling gained in open transit can assist a freezer to not be (heat input) overloaded. Particularly relevant if working on the freezer's limits or it's an old unit :smile: .)

Rgds / Charles.C

PS Microbiologically speaking, and particularly if RTE, it is obviously necessary to minimise the time between frying and chilling/freezing. But IMEX many production layouts simply necessitate non-short lines. And occasionally the final IQF freezers are not exactly rapid either. But perhaps Denmark ambient temperatures help to avoid problems. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

Conny T

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Photography, nature

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanks Charles

And yes the product is RTE - fishcakes..

My problem regarding BRC certification for this plant is the costs for amending the frying and cooling-areas to high risk-area. New walls dividing in low and high risk and separat changingfacilities. Hoped to find a way to "come around" the problem.

Changingfacilities may be timeseparated, though it would be difficult. But the walls - it will be difficult to divide the rooms in 2 risk-categories

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Charles

And yes the product is RTE - fishcakes..

My problem regarding BRC certification for this plant is the costs for amending the frying and cooling-areas to high risk-area. New walls dividing in low and high risk and separat changingfacilities. Hoped to find a way to "come around" the problem.

Changingfacilities may be timeseparated, though it would be difficult. But the walls - it will be difficult to divide the rooms in 2 risk-categories

Dear Conny,

One location-flexible possibility  is to use prefabricated walls. These are something like Xm by Ym rectangular sections of  foam sheeting  totally encased within  aluminium or stainless steel. Suitable for wet and steamy environment. Base of each section can be manually  riveted into the floor and each section invisibly locked into adjacent unit.  Installation typically in 24 hr. Similar (low-temperature) products are used for  horizontal IQF conveyor freezers.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users