• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hello everyone!

We will soon be conducting Modified Atmosphere Packaging on some cake products that will be gas flushed with CO2 and N2 to lower the oxygen content inside the packaging.  Due to changes in the formula and the MAP we have done testing that will achieve a 7 month shelf life at ambient temperature.  If the O2 content were to not be low enough to keep that shelf life, it could create an easy place for mold to grow.  What I'm wondering is if anyone has had the issue of weather to call this a CCP or a regular quality check.  Though the mold may be a quality issue, the increased shelf life may provide a medium for other microbiological organism to survive in the product.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just-IN Pork

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Your MAP line is a mechancial function where the equipment will be calibrated, serviced and maintained, hopefully according to the Manufacturers guidelines. Procedures could include machinery checks including recording of the gas ratios used in the process pre and post batch, (which I imagine would be available for download directly from the equipment). I do not think this step can be considered Critical Control point in itself, however the key would be post-packaging checks to ensure there are no leakers. In some systems, indicator strips can be used to ensure the O2 is below the acceptable limit in the MA pack. In my opinion these post packaging quality checks should be where you focus  - others may have differing opinions however this sounds like more of routine quality check, notwithstanding the implications of excess oxygen at this stage.

CMac

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Norway
    Norway

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

I've experience from packing pancakes in MAP and thank's to ISO 22000 that allowes us to set the step as an operative PRP, we can keep up some control and monitoring without sampling a lot of packages. The only reason I can come up with not to set it as a CCP is the monitoring. How can you ensure that every single package passing through the packaging step keep the level of O2 low enough?

If you think you can do that it should be set as a CCP, I think.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Dear heferzar,

Maybe have a look at this thread - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...ccp/#entry51337

As you say, the basic issue is whether one is involved with controlling a significant safety or non-safety hazard.

The (majority) consensus of the above thread was the latter so HACCP was not typically involved. Would presumably be an identical conclusion for iso22000. However it always depends on your own risk assessment of course and an associated validation.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

dk636

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:53 PM