Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hello everyone!  I am a graduate student pursuing a Master's Degree in Quality Management here in Michigan and am excited about learning how Quality Managemetn Systems are married with food safety.

“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."  - Henry Ford

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Good Morning BornYesterday  :roflmao:

It's good to see a student logging in to learn more about the practical application of what they are studying.

QMSs have quite a lot to do with increasing the food quality and food safety of a manufacturing plant.  There are tons of threads for your to view on many of the prominent QMS schemes.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask someone here knows the answer.

M.W.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

bornyesterday

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm assuming you got a chuckle out of my screen name (!) 

Yes, I'm sure I'll have questions.  Almost all of the classes have a strong influence in manufacturing quality - a small percentage of the economy is NOT linked to automotive in some way (kind of an interesting game to play to see how many degrees of separation all of your customers are from each other). 

“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."  - Henry Ford

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yeah it was pretty funny.  I'm not laughing at your directly.

All of food manufacturing really is related, like cousins, in some way.  Wheat makes pasta and feeds cows.  I worked in pasta now I work in a yogurt plant lol.  Some of the pasta we made was wasted and sold to cow farms so they may be producing milk off of the pasta I once made.

I wish there was a good food science degree near me but the closest one is in Cornell and that's about 2 hours from me, you have to go full time, live on campus, etc.  I can't do that.

Good luck in your classes

Merle

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hello Bornyesterday, I'm based in the UK, but I'll still welcome you - if that's ok with you. :smile:

We are here to support you with your studies, so feel free to ask any questions you have along the way.

:welcome:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

DuckMan

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:BRC, 21CFR 111, Vitamin Supplement Manufacturing, Family (my newborn daughter Elizabeth), F.S.M. (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism) Reggae, ONE LOVE, ONE HEART

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

Bornyesterday,

You will find this forum to be a wealth of information. the veterans of this site have great experiences to share. There is also an array of templates and direction available for SOP and other policy creation. I currently work in a Nutritional supplement company as a GMP coordinator studying DS cGMPs and 21 CFR 111. The importance of GMPs and QC & quality management throughout all food systems around the world will only become more important as the strain on all food and water systems becomes more pronounced with the growth of populations and urban sprawl.

Will we all have to consider the consumption of bug protein to supplement diets in the future?..... Maybe

But they have to be bugs procured and processed in an environment governed by strict GMP and Quality Systems!!!

Bon appetit.

Truly yours,

The DuckMan

jerry318

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hey bornyesterday,

Great to have you on the forum.  I'm proof that the transition form QMS to food safety systems can be accomplished - just takes some time and experience.

I spent 16 (13 in quality) years as a tier 1 automotive supplier prior to making the jump back in '08 to food.  I was hired as a QE for systems and have had to surround myself with food folks (like the ones on this forum) to bounce off ideas of how they inter-relate.

I now manage the group and have gaining knowledge around PRP's, HACCP and other food safety system requirements, though there are many days where I have more questions than answers.

Our company is certified to both FSSC 22000 and IFS.  It may be beneficial for you to pick up an ISO 22000 and 9001 standard and check the cross reference tables in the back (22000) for the relationships between a QMS / FSMS system standpoint.  Just a thought.

All in all, best of luck to you.  Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions as this forum is awesome!

Jerry

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users