• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi All,

Recently I came across a pest management plan that is being conducted in house. Designated employee is responsible for checking traps.

They are rectangle metal traps. I've always seen sticky mats inside of these, this location had none.

Also exterior traps were empty.

I need confirmation that these traps are no good if they do not have any way of keeping the pest in. 

I also need confirmation that it is okay to use an in house employee to service traps. 

The locations are numbered, adequate in locations per the PrimusGFS. 

Feedback appreciated.

Thank you.

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi California FS., We do our pest control in house, but the person servicing the traps has a pesticide application license issued by the State. Inside the plant we use Tin Cats  http://www.victorpes...se-control/m310

Take   a look.

Thanked by 1 Member:

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hi Maara91,

Thank you for the reply. I'm curious if you use sticky mats on your interior traps? or leave them with out anything.

Thanks,

CaliforniaFS

yasser

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

pest control in house shall be done by trained persons

Yasser

mapry2

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Document the training 

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

As mentioned the practitioner should be trained and certified by a relevant regulatory body.

Exterior traps are normally baited as "stations".  This is frontage for rodent control, but it may depend on the type of device used.  If the trap can prevent egress once activated, then bait may be optional, however inspection schedules should be increased.

The same can be said for interior traps.  Glue boards are used in dry areas, but are useless in areas of heavy wash-down. As long as the trap is designed to prevent egress when activated then you are good. 

Bug lights should always have a glue board.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

DavisSmith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Can I get the best pest control company that can help me in reducing the problem of pests at my place?

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Glue boards are not necessary inside "tin cats" ... they are designed specifically to only allow rodents to go in, not out.  Once a mouse goes in, it is in the trap for good.  That being said, there are two types of tin cats - one with a solid metal lid, the other with a clear plastic window.  I prefer to use glue boards in the ones with the solid lids to ensure nothing jumps out at me when I'm checking the traps on a regular basis... but they aren't necessary.  A secondary benefit of glue boards is that you may be able to identify certain types of insects that may be running around your facility.  You need to weigh the benefit vs. the cost of placing glue boards in all of the traps and replacing them as they get dirty.

We use a combination of in-house checks and an outside Pest Control Operator.  Our PCO comes in every other week, checks all the traps, the bait stations outside, all of that.  Then, a trained designated employee will go around and quickly check the traps daily to see if there's any activity, and that they are all in the correct position based upon our maps.

Make sure you have documented training for anyone who is performing this task.  If you do have outside bait stations and are using any pesticides, this will require a great deal more training, MSDS sheets, info sheets, a register of acceptable pesticides, and training of your employees as to

A) What to do if they see bait that has fallen out of the traps for some reason

B) The fact that bait is a controlled chemical and only trained, qualified individuals should handle it

C) what to do in the event they accidentally handle it

D) the fact that it is not allowed in any processing areas.

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Where are you located?  Most Pest Control Operators are regional companies, with the exception of a few.  We use a company that only services four states, so unless you're around here, the only thing I can suggest is do NOT use Ecolab for pest control.  I've gone into situations in six facilities now in which they were the PCO, and they are ridiculously overpriced, their service reports are terrible, and every Applicator I've met from the company has been incompetent for the most part.

Good luck.

Can I get the best pest control company that can help me in reducing the problem of pests at my place?

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hi Marshenko,

Interesting; 2 additional comments

1) how do you ensure a proper and documented evidence of the training of your designated employee? - training from your outside company or another one,content and frequency of the refreshments, evidence you provide for audits

2) right for the regional approach - overseas in Europ Ecolab is a reliable contractor, Rentokill 1 of the worse I have audited. There is a need to know pests & pest management to assess a local one is ok/ not ok

Regards,

Emmanuel

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:40 AM

Dear Penard (Emmanuel),

Very nice to hear from you again.

And congratulations on the (apparently) related birth of yr son (I assume the "last December" was 2013 :smile: ).

Best Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Hi Charles. C,

Really nice also for me to know that the 'quality pillars' of the site are still there!

Thanks for your congrats; yes, my son is 3 weeks old and since his birth I'm several years older due to regular 'alarms' every night - but that's life!

kind regards,

Emmanuel

Empirestate

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

From a legal point of view they need to be trained in case he / she gets poisoned.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

From a legal point of view they need to be trained in case he / she gets poisoned.

Dear Empirestate,

I don't quite understand yr comment.

Are you suggesting that the pest controller  may be addicted to rat-bait ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

JSB531

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

We do our own pest control in house.  We operate remote locations and in some cases the nearest pest control contractor is a 2 hour flight away.

rmyslik

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

There are hundreds of pest control companies to chose from. I am not sure what area you are located in but here are some things to look for when choosing a pest control company:

1. Logbooks - sounds crazy but make them show you what they use. During a 3rd party inspection they will make an initial assessment of your pest control plan. It should have a SOP, Detailed map with numbered stations, pest sighting log, Picture of facility, SDS/Labels, Contacts (both for emergency and the company you are using), Licenses (you need a copy of the PCP, Company registration and insurance certificates), trend reports. The more the merrier!

2. Technicians need to be certified in the proper categories to service your facility. In the US you can work under another PCP license so make sure each PCP servicing you is certified.

3. Recommendations from similar facilities they service

4. They need to follow GMP, AIB, NSF etc. guidelines. I come across so many companies that have some interior protection and nothing or very limited exterior protection. You shouldn't have to tell them anything, they should be telling you.

OK - I could go on and if you really want more information just ask.

What you did ask for was the best pest control company to get rid of your problem. Well if they meet the above criteria they should spell out a solid IPM program that will rid your pest issues quickly. Zero tolerance is the best practice but thresholds need to be in place anyway. 

Thank you

Robert Myslik

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

Make sure you have documented training for anyone who is performing this task.  If you do have outside bait stations and are using any pesticides, this will require a great deal more training, MSDS sheets, info sheets, a register of acceptable pesticides, and training of your employees as to

B) The fact that bait is a controlled chemical and only trained, qualified individuals should handle it

Ack, OMG, don't do that!  Bait = poison that is shaped like children's candy.  Outdoor Bait boxes have to be secured and bait definitely shouldn't be falling out where a baby, dog or pet is able to get it.

Go 3rd party or get a Pest Control License.  3rd party will take the burden of compliance to another regulatory body, the department of pesticides/EPA (if you live in the US).  Have them quote you.  You will feel like the bell of the ball picking from all of the sales men who want to sell you pest control service.  You'll never have to manually trend again!  Totally worth it

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Aggelos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

My opinion is always go for third party and perform regular controls in house. The pest control cost is nowadays too small to consider doing also that yourself plus it saves you a lot of time and effort. Make sure you 'buy' not only the service but also experience and knowledge.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Zoe Ershova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Russia
    Russia

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Eventually as you know that our home contends with pest such as rodents, insects, bedbugs etc. While choosing pest control services you have to ensure that the company is good or not or it’s not fake and you must have to check peoples reviews about the company. Always ensure that pest control service in your home is done by trained professional’s persons and the main thing, that if you are having children at home keep out them for were pest work is going on. There are some renowned and trustworthy online pest control service providers you can check with. Here are some examples:

http://expat.ru

http://pest-control.ru

http://sgs.ru

WACIRU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Glue boards are not necessary inside "tin cats" ... they are designed specifically to only allow rodents to go in, not out.  Once a mouse goes in, it is in the trap for good.  That being said, there are two types of tin cats - one with a solid metal lid, the other with a clear plastic window.  I prefer to use glue boards in the ones with the solid lids to ensure nothing jumps out at me when I'm checking the traps on a regular basis... but they aren't necessary.  A secondary benefit of glue boards is that you may be able to identify certain types of insects that may be running around your facility.  You need to weigh the benefit vs. the cost of placing glue boards in all of the traps and replacing them as they get dirty.

We use a combination of in-house checks and an outside Pest Control Operator.  Our PCO comes in every other week, checks all the traps, the bait stations outside, all of that.  Then, a trained designated employee will go around and quickly check the traps daily to see if there's any activity, and that they are all in the correct position based upon our maps.

I totally agree

gazza1973

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

I have been using Ecolab for a number of years and they have always been good, the online portals are very good. I think it always comes down to the pest control officer. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users