• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do Australia and Canada follow EU/FDA Food Packaging regulations?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

To be honest I’m not expecting an answer on this one, may have to contact Keller & Heckman.

Anyway, if a food contact packaging material meets both FDA and EU regulations will it be ok for either or both Canada and Australia.  Does anyone know if Australia and Canada have their own regulations and whether they are wholly or partly based on FDA or EU regulations – if so anyone know differences?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

stevenaburton

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Canada has its own regulatory framework under the supervision of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Health Canada. The CFIA has published a guide that explains how the Canadian regulations comply with the provisions set out in the Food and Drugs Act (FDA). Generally, the Canadian regulations are well synchronized with those of the US and except that they are slightly more stringent regarding allergens.

Canada's official position specifically on labelling is that, "Every effort has been made to harmonize with other countries which have developed similar food labelling laws, i.e.: the European Union, Australia/ New Zealand, and the United States. However, each authority must balance between regulating the priority food allergens that form a significant health risk within their country and adapting the particularities of their own national and federal statutes."

I believe that harmonizing regulations with the EU is less of a priority for Canada than harmonizing with the US primarily because the EU market, although important, is much smaller than the opportunity afforded by the US. For example, France, Germany, and the UK combined consume just over $1B in Canadian agro products as compared to over $23B in the US alone.

In order to help Canadian companies further develop the EU market, guidance is offered by the CFIA to make the EU requirements known to potential Canadian exporters but it is up to individual Canadian companies to decide whether or not to conform to EU regulations.

campbell

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

This covers trhe Canadian aspects and includes the packaging requirements.

The key acts and regulations CFIA enforce are:

Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act

Consumer Packaging and Labelling Regulations

Food and Drugs Act

Food and Drug Regulations

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the replies and references Steven and Campbell.

The food contact packaging item already meets regulations in EU and FDA and has undergone migration testing with Intertek. With that in mind I have contacted them for guidance on the actual food contact packaging item to see what if any further testing is required in order to comply with Canadian and Australian Regulations..

I will let you know the outcome in due course.

Thanks,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users