Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Does anyone have or know where to get some Food safety videos that aren't from the 1980's or extremely cheesy?

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have purchased a couple of videos on GMPs from Silliker that were OK, including a GMP for Maintenance personnel, which I thought made some excellent points and gave the maintenance group a different reference point.  Any "canned" videos, though, are best used as a compliment to company-specific training, not as stand-alone packages.

Good luck!

Stephen M.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

I avoid videos for the "cheesy" factor. I lean towards power point with lots of picture examples of what to do vs what not to do with minimal bullet points/text. I ask questions and get them involved then test at the end for comprehension.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

I don't like using videos because invariably there are going to be things on them that go against, to some extent, of what you do or how you do something. 

Make your own videos :smile: or I do the same thing as Stephen I PowerPoint people to death.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

mapry2

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Please have a look at this. They have PPT presentations and link to video too

http://www1.agric.go...nsf/all/fs14705

http://www1.agric.go...f/all/info13276

Hope this helps.

Edited by Prasant, 15 May 2014 - 02:44 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Since you are asking about initial training, I prefer to have the person they are training with, ideally a seasoned employee, explain the reasons we do specific things in regards to food safety.

We have a training packet that we cover things step by step per each job. The trainer signs when they think the employee has the gotten the grasp of the concept. The employee also signs. That way we have a way to respond when we get the "I was never shown that..." It also strengthens out response when auditors ask questions from the personnel on the floor.

Setanta

-Setanta         

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Since you are asking about initial training, I prefer to have the person they are training with, ideally a seasoned employee, explain the reasons we do specific things in regards to food safety.

We have a training packet that we cover things step by step per each job. The trainer signs when they think the employee has the gotten the grasp of the concept. The employee also signs. That way we have a way to respond when we get the "I was never shown that..." It also strengthens out response when auditors ask questions from the personnel on the floor.

Setanta

Would you be willing to share what your training packet looks like? Who keeps these on file? Who looks at them on a regular basis?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

I had a hand in writing them. They are very job specific, I will see if anything is generic enough to send. I approve any changes to the HACCP/GMP Food Safety aspect.

Setanta

EDITED to ADD some aspects we train on:

Employee Name: _______________________ Shift:______ Line:______
Hire Date:____________________

Step 1 – Introductions:
Supervisor: _________________________________________
Trainer: ______________
QA Personnel ______________

Introduce new employee to other team members________________

Task Completed Trainer EE
Step 2 – Tour (by Trainer) Instuctions ______ _______

o Break Room:
• Smocks (Fresh one daily).
• Hairnets, beard nets, hearing protection, gloves, (gather supplies).
• First Aid Cabinet (break room, boxing)
• AED, Medi-Vend, refrigerator, vending, rest rooms, water fountains and coffee.
• Location of MSDS and purpose.
• Stretching Program check-off sheet.
• PTO, Gold Form, W-4, EE Order Sheet (Where to find and what to do when they have been completed).
Trainer EE
o Production: ________ ________
• Sink locations and “Wash Hands Frequently”, before starting work
and after picking up an item off the floor (bags, cardboard, etc.).
• Emergency Evacuation Procedures and Routes (map) and Storm Shelter.
• Fire extinguisher locations to work area and to be used only by trained personnel.
• Line Schedule and rotation (20 minutes) between higher risk and lower risk jobs.
• Show employee where everything goes at the end of the shift (including knives).

Task Completed
Step 2 – Tour (by Trainer) and Instructions Trainer EE
o GMP, Quality Expectations & Safety ________ ________
• Hairnet use and covering ear plugs. Make sure hairnet covers ear lobes.
• Report to work with the 5-minute exchange time for previous shift.
• Nitrile gloves must be worn at all stations.
• Ear plugs must be worn at all times (strings must not be cut off).
• Knife Safety: Do not carry knives in your smock pockets. (Machine blades, Knives, Box Knives, Box cutters).
• Hang up smock on hook before leaving the production room.
• Do NOT go to break or into bathroom while wearing your smock.
• Do NOT go into the bathroom while wearing your gloves.
• Always wash your hands after restroom use and when entering the production area.
• Change gloves each time you re-enter production or when damaged.
• Slip resistant footwear is mandatory and must be worn at all times.
• Accident reporting must be done immediately to your supervisor or the Human Resources office.

New Employee Orientation – Day 3

GMP and SQF

GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices. It is a list of requirements specified here is designed to:

1. Establish guidelines consistent with OUR policy and conform to applicable regulatory requirements for the manufacture and distribution of food products.

2. Aid employees to maintain the safety, wholesomeness, and high quality standards of products manufactured and distributed by XXX.

3. Instruct employees about good sanitation practices.

4. Stress the importance of personal hygiene and cleanliness.

Each individual employed by XXX to produce or distribute food products shall be familiar with and comply with the Good Manufacturing Practices as stated here.

SQF-Safe Quality Food: The SQF (Safe Quality Food) Program is a leading, global food safety certification program and management system, designed to meet the needs of buyers and suppliers worldwide. SQF will meet the requirements of multiple audits.

• Provides independent certification that a supplier’s food safety and quality management system complies with international and domestic food safety regulations.
• Enables us to assure to their customers that food has been produced, processed, and prepared and handled according to the highest possible standards.

New Employee Orientation – Day 4

HAZARD ANALYSIS AND CRITICAL CONTROL POINTS (HACCP) is designed to:
Determine where in the process the product could become contaminated and how to check the product if it has become contaminated. These critical control points must be monitored and documented. Our Critical Control Point is our metal detectors.

Metal detector-The metal detector is checked a minimum of every hour; any product that is pushed off the line is rechecked and ran under the metal detector again. The product is either reworked or destroyed depending on the outcome of rechecking.

Edited by Setanta, 15 May 2014 - 04:04 PM.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users