• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hi everyone,

I just a new role as Quality Manager for a Chemical distribution warehouse in orlando, fl. This is a career growth opporunity for me, the company failed an AIB audit, they are seeking AIB certification which will help there business grow. The previous quality manager was very good he was an AIB auditor for 2 years and began to implement some things but then he recieved a job offer as a plant mnager and left them hi and dry, so I am here now. I am ridiculously nervouse I have no idea where to begin. I started to read the failed audit report, looking at there quality manual etc.., I just need advice on what to do at this point its becoming over whelming and confusing....

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi, John;

Your confusion and sense of being overwhelmed is understandable, but this is not the Wild West, and you are not, John Wayne.  Do not go at it alone.  The more you investigate, the more questions asked, the more responsibility assigned to the appropriate individuals. This is a team effort

Assuming this is the first priority of the company:

• To help you better, you should post the results here. I'm not familiar with AIB as much, but you're certainly asking in the right place!
  • Review the audit report with the most current standards offered by the certifying body (this should have been available already, but sadly if it's not then contact the auditor for the specs), and evaluate your current QM to those deficiencies and make corrections.  
  • You need to have your senior management meet with you and review as to why the company failed the audit based upon the report and what steps will be taken to correct the gaps. This is a corrective action step, and it involves everyone.  Work together as a team.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

I'll be a bit less nice as Slab. If the previous QA Manager was so good, and an AIB auditor, why did the AIB audit after he left fail? One would assume, as an AIB auditor, he would know what is required?

That being said... there are plenty of people here that will be more than willing to help out.

Take a deep breath, post some specific non-conformances from the audit, and we can help.

Marshall

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I agree on relaxing.  Take a deep breath... drink a cup of Java...

I also agree with Slab and Mgourley though job offers come sometimes at the worst time for the organization you work for so just focus on the task at hand.

Like Slab said read the current standard and where you fell short.  Make a priority list of what can be fixed quickly vs what is the most important things to work on.

Assign those items to the different members of the management team.  Explain to them that you want to have weekly progress update meetings every week a a specific time have everyone come up with a date and time together and get their buy in.  

Explain to them that if everyone works together you can get it done but you can't do it all alone.  Make sure the plant manager has your back on this.

Come up with a plan together with coding on time frames (Things you can get done in a week "A" for example, 2 - 3 weeks "B" 4+ weeks "C" or whatever works for your team.)

I've never done AIB I don't know if you have a certain amount of time you have to have things done by so adjust your time frame and schedule accordingly maybe you need 2 progress meetings a week I don't know.

Try not to fall into the trap of "We can take that minor".  If that happens too much your already opening yourself up for failure what if that minor you could have fixed is the point you needed to pass.  

You'll be fine.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

johnasmaurice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Wow I truley appreciate all the feed back from everyone it definitely is encourging. I will take your advice and apply it.

Taste Maker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hello, I would start by getting a new Consolidated Standards for Inspections from AIB website for about $15.00. Then I would start going down the list of prerequisites which fall into five categories:  Maintenance for Food Safety, Cleaning Practices, Integrated Pest Management, Operational Methods and Practices and Adequacy of Prerequisite and Food Safety Programs. Next start a system of documentation which asks: Who, What, When and Where. Do a self inspection of at least 5 pages listing by catagory the failures present and document what needs to be done to make good. We have had around 6 AIB audits and passed each time with a Superior score. First, read the requirements and everything will fall into place.

Good luck, you can do it.

John Freeman

Certified HACCP Coordinator

Taste Maker Foods

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users