• 24 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hello all.

I have a question in regards to:

2.1.2.8 Job descriptions for those responsible for food safety shall be documented and include provision to cover for the absence of key personnel.

I may possibly be over thinking this... I have listed job descriptions for key persons with roles within our facility that have an impact on food safety and quality, and I have also included designated backups for coverage of those roles in the event of an absence.

This "provision" they are speaking of... Is it a matter of adding a disclaimer statement at the bottom of the Job Descriptions document, to the extent of...

"In the occasion(s) when key personnel responsible for designated role(s) is absent, and appropriately trained backup has been assigned to cover their nominated duties to ensure the integrity of the SQF System."

or is this a separate "policy" that must be created?

Much Thanks,

nitchicsqf

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

IMO it's not a policy, but if you have formal job descriptions for personnel responsible for food safety and you've included absentee coverage you should be okay. I also inclue this on policies like Business Continuity (Crisis Management), Recall Policy, Management Responsibility docs, etc. SQF is fairly flexible, so this requirement could be accomlished in any number of ways.

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

At the bottom of each of our job descriptions, we have a check box that asks "Does this position require back up".  If yes, we put the position that backs that position up.  For example, I am the SQF Practitioner, and I back up the Regulatory Compliance Manager.  In his job description, it states that the SQF Practitioner is the back up to this position.

It's satisfied our last 2 SQF audits.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

I usually produce a summary table of key positions and 'nominated deputies'.

This table is reflected in the individual job descriptions.

Regards,

Tony

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

You can place the provision to cover at the bottom of each job description or have this information available on a separate table/sheet. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

nitchicsqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thanks all for your input! It looks like I have a few options.

Wine Gum

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 61 thanks
Good

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

We also include the stand-in persons in the job description. The stand-in policy also stipulate that an 'out of office reply' for e-mails must be set, with the relevant stand-in persons contact details, when absent for more than 2 days.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

We also include the stand-in persons in the job description. The stand-in policy also stipulate that an 'out of office reply' for e-mails must be set, with the relevant stand-in persons contact details, when absent for more than 2 days.

Very good idea.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

dquinn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

Your on the right track Michelle!.....

Keep in mind anybody ties to food production/ shipping, etc should have a clear understanding of how they fit and matter relative to food safety and product integrity. Check all job descriptions and ensure their are elements within the description that:

1) states their responsibility to food safety and quality

2) who the person position is that serves as their back-up

3) and be able to proof what you say....in this case, I conduct interviews to ensure personnel understand their role in food safety AND then I ask..."when you are not here, who is your back-up"...I right down the answer then will later follow with training records (under a different element)

Hope this helps!

Best,

Dennis Q

Thanked by 1 Member:

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Are line workers considered responsible for food safety? Do you have your line workers sign a job description stating their responsibilities regarding food safety and quality?

Or is this intended to be for management?

TpruittSQF

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Are line workers considered responsible for food safety? Do you have your line workers sign a job description stating their responsibilities regarding food safety and quality?

I have the same question, desk audit gave us a minor for not having the backups listed. I have gone through and updated all of our pertinent salaried employees, but was wondering about all of the hourly employees. This is especially true for our CCP operators, as they are obviously responsible for food safety, but we have multiple on duty at any given time, thus they are their own redundancy. 

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

This is more intended for your management and SQF practitioner if that person is not the quality manager like I was at my last position.  So if the Quality Manager was gone I was her back up and if I was gone she was my backup. 

I have the same question, desk audit gave us a minor for not having the backups listed. I have gone through and updated all of our pertinent salaried employees, but was wondering about all of the hourly employees. This is especially true for our CCP operators, as they are obviously responsible for food safety, but we have multiple on duty at any given time, thus they are their own redundancy. 

Like I said above this is more intended for your management. 

Yes all of your line employees have things to do in relation to food safety - GMPs, HACCP checks, etc.  But like you said typically a place will have multiple people who perform those checks on shift.  In the event that you were in the situation that your only person that was able to perform your CCP check was gone then you would probably be calling in another operator or a member of management would be performing it.  You wouldn't run your line if you couldn't perform your CCPs... well nobody that cares about food safety would :shades:

This is for your key people, as the standard says, it will be your higher up quality personnel, shift manager perhaps (if they do a roving check of CCP/CP checks), your crisis team perhaps (how are you going to recall something if the person who is supposed to contact your customers is in the Bahamas).... etc

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

TpruittSQF

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

This is more intended for your management and SQF practitioner if that person is not the quality manager like I was at my last position.  So if the Quality Manager was gone I was her back up and if I was gone she was my backup. 

Like I said above this is more intended for your management. 

Yes all of your line employees have things to do in relation to food safety - GMPs, HACCP checks, etc.  But like you said typically a place will have multiple people who perform those checks on shift.  In the event that you were in the situation that your only person that was able to perform your CCP check was gone then you would probably be calling in another operator or a member of management would be performing it.  You wouldn't run your line if you couldn't perform your CCPs... well nobody that cares about food safety would :shades:

This is for your key people, as the standard says, it will be your higher up quality personnel, shift manager perhaps (if they do a roving check of CCP/CP checks), your crisis team perhaps (how are you going to recall something if the person who is supposed to contact your customers is in the Bahamas).... etc

Perfect, that's what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like we can submit as completed then.

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Lots of helpful info here (as usual)! As we pursue SQF Level 2 Certification for the first time, we got a "Minor" on this a few days ago during our Desk Audit since we didn't have a single Job Description let alone one that included info about Backups either!

I'm wondering how detailed this document has to be. I mean, do we have to write a lengthy Job Description for each key role? I've included what we have so far here below. Perhaps someone here wouldn't mind taking a look to see if this is sufficient.

Attached File  SQF Job Descriptions & Backups.docx   19.78KB   478 downloads

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

All The Best,

JKRed

Swimming In An Alphabet Soup of SQF Acronyms, Code, & Clauses!

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

nitchicsqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

Lots of helpful info here (as usual)! As we pursue SQF Level 2 Certification for the first time, we got a "Minor" on this a few days ago during our Desk Audit since we didn't have a single Job Description let alone one that included info about Backups either!

I'm wondering how detailed this document has to be. I mean, do we have to write a lengthy Job Description for each key role? I've included what we have so far here below. Perhaps someone here wouldn't mind taking a look to see if this is sufficient.

attachicon.gifSQF Job Descriptions & Backups.docx

All The Best,

JKRed

Hi JKRed,

Being this is over 30 days past your desk audit, you may already have had your facility audit, but in case you haven't I hope this helps. Here is the job description I created for the QA Manager/SQF Practitioner at my facility. You want to have similar explanations for all management at your facility with responsibility for food safety. We recently passed our initial SQF Level 2 desk and facility audits. The auditor was complimentary about our job descriptions.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hi JKRed,

Here is the job description I created for the QA Manager/SQF Practitioner at my facility.

Hi nitchicsqf,

Sorry but i don't see any description ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

nitchicsqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Hi JKRed,

Being this is over 30 days past your desk audit, you may already have had your facility audit, but in case you haven't I hope this helps. Here is the job description I created for the QA Manager/SQF Practitioner at my facility. You want to have similar explanations for all management at your facility with responsibility for food safety. We recently passed our initial SQF Level 2 desk and facility audits. The auditor was complimentary about our job descriptions.

Hi nitchicsqf,

Sorry but i don't see any description ??

My apologies... Please see below.

Food Safety Responsibilities Job Description

Job Title

Name

Nominated Back up Personnel

Quality Assurance Manager/SQF Practitioner

xxxxx

xxxxx

Reports To

Department

General Manager

Quality

Position Description

Has the overall responsibility and accountability for establishing, implementing and maintaining the Food Safety Management System. Has the overall responsibility for auditing procedures for compliance. Has the responsibility and authority for the final disposition of products on hold.

Summary of Food Safety Responsibilities

• Has the overall responsibility for the implementation and oversight of the SQF System at this site.
  • Creates, develops, implements, validates and verifies the SQF System.
  • Monitors and validates the effectiveness of the Food Safety Management System.
  • Continually updates the FSMS where necessary and appropriate.
  • Promotes food safety and quality awareness throughout the organization.
  • An “Out Of Office” reply for emails must be set with the nominated backup’s personal contact details, when absent for more than 2 days.

** In the occasion(s) when key personnel responsible for designated role(s) is absent, an appropriately trained backup has been assigned to cover their nominated duties to ensure the integrity of the SQF System.**

The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this classification. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other food safety related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing safety needs of the organization.

__________________________________                                                                                                                                     _____________________

Employee Signature                                                                                                                                                                                                     Date                            

___________________________________                                                                                                                                               _____________________

Nominated Backup                                                                                                                                                                                                       Date

___________________________________                                                                                                                                               _____________________

Verifier’s Signature                                                                                                                                                                                                      Date

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hi nitchicsqf,

Thks for the example. looks useful.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

nitchicsqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Charles. I wanted to post it as a downloadable attachment, but I'm unsure of how to do so.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Charles. I wanted to post it as a downloadable attachment, but I'm unsure of how to do so.

I agree, it's not immediately obvious. :smile:

The method is detailed in this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ion/#entry90036

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

nitchicsqf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

I agree, it's not immediately obvious. :smile:

The method is detailed in this post -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ion/#entry90036

Thank you.

Here it is:

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

AZC022276

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

Hi,
I'm working on preparing the job description for SQF, can anyone share an example of the way that it needs to be done?
I really appreciate your help!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:17 AM

Hi,
I'm working on preparing the job description for SQF, can anyone share an example of the way that it needs to be done?
I really appreciate your help!

Hi AZCO,

Posts 14, 21 ?? (14 appears rather skeletal).

+ perhaps the suggestions in the surrounding Posts

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AZC022276

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

SQF Job Descriptions & Backups.docx

All The Best,
JKRed

AZC022276

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

I could not open your file attached.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: provision, coverage, job description

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users