• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the hazards associated with sodium benzoate?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MBrown042

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hello  All,

I am performing a risk assessment for all my ingredients in a beef burrito and one of the ingredients is Sodium Benzoate.  Does anybody know the hazards associated  with this particular product.  Biological, Physical, or Chemical?

Thank  you,

Marvis Brown

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 94 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Marvis -

As this is a highly refined and puried single chemical component, you are unlikely to have biological or physical hazards associated with it. I believe that USDA FSIS does have regulatory limitations on its use, so a quick electronic search of 9 CFR ought to locate that. The MSDS will also have information concerning risks associated with various intake levels. There are probably some mongraphs on its risk, given that it has been a food component of great discussion here in the US in the past. Might just try an internet search for 'sodium benzoate & risk' (or hazards).

lmugs

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Zimbabwe
    Zimbabwe

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

Baically the risks associated with that chemical is its assay(purity) hence you need to have a COA and MSDS for the preservative for you to know the levels of impurities that can pose food safety risks. Another risk could be the benzoate levels in the beef which does not harm the consumers but having efficacy in doing its job in the food product(beef).

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sodium benzoate, hazard, biological, physical, hazard analysis, risk assessment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users