• Quick Navigation
Photo

Stock Rotation - Who is really responsible?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Searching for wisdom,

Debate: QA department claims they are not responsible for Stock Rotation Procedures. it is an Accounting function. Accounting Department claims that their procedures goes as far as to controlling raw material inventory transaction and FIFO is followed.  QA Department must oversee Food Safety during Stock Rotation.

Question:  Who is responsible? I am curious to see how other Food Processing Companies handle procedures like this in their environments.

Thank you in advance,

Kelio

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Dear kellio,

Re - Practical Implementation > Production. Re - Monitoring Implementation > QA.

Re - Procedure, typically QA because Production always say they have no spare time to think about such things. (Too busy generating profits).

Re - Revised Procedure - typically QA + Production after the latter say that the first version is impractical to implement and wastes their "valuable"  time.

And so on. :smile:

(IMEX Accounts Personnel never leave their external, comfortable, office except for Cold Room / Annual Stock-Taking Inventory and lunch)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ruhama

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Lesotho
    Lesotho
  • Interests:I love God, I like Food Safety and Quality, I like watching Tyler Perry's Movies. Auditing and customers visits interests me a lot.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

Dear kellio,

Re - Practical Implementation > Production. Re - Monitoring Implementation > QA.

Re - Procedure, typically QA because Production always say they have no spare time to think about such things. (Too busy generating profits).

Re - Revised Procedure - typically QA + Production after the latter say that the first version is impractical to implement and wastes their "valuable"  time.

(IMEX Accounts Personnel never leave their external, comfortable, office except for Cold Room / Annual Stock-Taking Inventory and lunch)

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles

You are so correct, there is never a day that Accounts Personnel leave their offices to cold room to do Stock Taking. Us at our company we have a team leader appointed for cold storage he is the one doing stock rotation when dispatching

Thanks

Thanks

Regards

Ruhama Thooko

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Highlands Trout (Pty) Ltd

Jehova Jire

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Dear kellio,

Rgds / Charles.C

Thank you Charles and Ruhama for your comments. I had a feeling that I was in the right track from the food safety point of view. I will keep an eye for any other comments.

Thank you,

Kelio

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I agree with Charles:

It needs to be the expectation for operations/warehousing personnel to FIFO properly through a manual or computer aided system.

When inventory is done keep track of lot numbers and the purchasing people can notify quality if lot numbers are being used before older lot numbers.

Whatever system Quality shouldn't have sit out there and point at the correct pallet and tell operations what to use in what order that's a waste of their time.  Quality should put pressure to do the right thing not supervise it directly... that's what managers are for.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

I agree with Charles

It needs to be the expectation for operations/warehousing personnel to FIFO properly through a manual or computer aided system.

When inventory is done keep track of lot numbers and the purchasing people can notify quality if lot numbers are being used before older lot numbers.

Whatever system Quality shouldn't have sit out there and point at the correct pallet and tell operations what to use in what order that's a waste of their time.  Quality should put pressure to do the right thing not supervise it directly... that's what managers are for.

We follow the procedure MerleW has mentioned above.

Operations / Warehousing is in charge of FIFO stock rotations, QA does a routine inspection to make sure this is being done and reports their findings to management.

Edited by jpredmore, 23 January 2014 - 09:10 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

Hi Kelio,

IME generally:

Accounts - Order, Manage Costs, Report & Audit

QA - Check, Inspect & Audit

Warehouse - Manage Stock, FIFO & Count

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gunapathi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

Hi,

QA normally sets the requirement by getting product shelf life from suppliers, setting minimum acceptable shelf life on delivery etc. Acceptable limits are agreed between supplier/purchasing/warehousing.

Once on site warehousing and production are solely responsible for FIFO and QA monitors the effectiveness and provides feedback.

QA also intervenes when warehousing or production has slipped off FIFO and expects some shelf life extension to avoid cost. This is usually dealt by raising a NCR, follow up RCA and training.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Autofits

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

In my opinion, the quality depertment is better aware of the shelf life of all the products present in the store. Threrefore, the quality department must recriut people for stock rotation.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Typically if ingredients are received in the order they are shipped and lot codes are created sequentially there shouldn't be any question about what ones to use in what order.  The problem that I've seen, typically, is lazy operators or bad ingredient storage systems that cause ingredients to be used out of order allowing older product/ingredients to sit around.  I've never worked in a place that employed enough quality technicians to sit around and tell the operators what lot numbers to pull which is why it's the warehouse operators job to make sure they are pulling the correct older lot codes first.  Then when the warehouse operators performed inventory, including lot codes, that information went to the demand planner who would be able to make sure that lot codes were being used appropriately.

Of course any system could be made to work in any fashion so if you wanted to employ more quality lab techs, typically at a higher rate than warehouse operators, to police FIFO... more power to you.  But I haven't seen that personally.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users