• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hello All,

I have a silly question that bothers me recently. Your input is appreciated.  As you all know, management commitment is the number one step to start with anything involved in a FSMS. Besides that, there are regulations and laws in place and I am personally aware of those. Being said that, now I can  ask my question.

How would you react to your boss (actually the owner of the company) if he brings his unleashed puppy dog to the office that is adjacent to the RTE food production floor? By law, only a guardian dog is allowed in premises where no production is done. This puppy is so cute and active, he runs everywhere. I am just afraid that he could go in somewhere that is a product involved. We are a small establishment and I do not want to lose my job, but need to do something. 

Thanks

Suzie

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

I do not envy you.  Are you certified to a standard?  Are you trying to achieve certification?  I know this will be listed in there somewhere. You, with your bosses' backing, will need to have a talk showing the owner the standard.  If your boss isn't willing to come with you, there is part of your problem.

Only you can fairly judge if you can bring this up, but gently, but firmly someone needs to say, yes, puppy is cute as all get out, but he can not come into the plant. Do you have USDA or FDA on site?  They might be big help in being the 'bad cop' to your 'good cop' You only want what's best for the company....

Good Luck!

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

With horror!

I'd probably have a heart attack! Cute or not !!

Caz x

sozcan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

We are FDA/USDA inspected plant. And getting ready for SQF level 2.

Thanks for the replies.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Didn't I mention the freak out I would have??  

Actually, I had a second shift employee bring his Labrador Retriever in, because he was so wonderful.  I earned my hard nosed reputation that day.  :shutup:  

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Well... you will have to have an honest conversation with your boss about it being inappropriate for him/her to bring the puppy into the offices.

There are many very bad things that can come with a puppy into the workplace. 

Just bring it up respectfully and professionally.  I'm sure if SQF found out you'd have issues.  If he wants people to come out to his car to see the puppy... that's one thing.  But actually bringing it in to the building where you are producing is another.

I'm pretty sure the government inspectors would probably shut you down if they saw it.

Honestly (s)he is being very irresponsible.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

I didn't know whether to move this topic to the pest control or personal hygiene forum, so I moved it to food safety talk.  Just when I thought every topic has been asked before. :rolleyes:

I'm sure in most standards it doesn't expressly mention "no dogs", but it is just plain commensense and your boss is a large dope.  As Merle says you need to have a quiet word with him and if he fires you then sue him and the dog.

Good luck.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

Having a dog makes it so much easier to be passive agressive and emotionally manipulating!

"<serious voice> Oh, he is so cute! <puppy voice> I brought him some puppy treats for his big car ride home!  WHO WANTS TO GO FOR A CAR RIDE?  Who wants to go?  <serious voice> Yeah, he really is adorable, but he's not allowed. <puppy voice> You're not allowed, are you fella?  Who's not allowed? Who's violating FDA laws? That's right...That's right. You are. <serious voice> Really, he has to go"

It works better if you stick bacon behind your ear & rub it on your face because the dog will lick you, and your boss will be so mezmerized with the adorbale nature of the puppy loving YOU best, he will have to listen to your get-the-dog-out-spell.

We would occasionally get stray cats in on trailers at a previous factory.  We bought a cat trap instead of paying pest control fees every time and would keep it in the office until animal control came due to extreme outdoor weather.  Maybe a rule that the dog is allowed only when chained up outside?

When your boss gets up to use the restroom, throw a bunch of chewed up chocolate every where and give the puppy the empty box to chew up.  Your boss won't bring the dog to work, and you can pretend to be the courageous employee who saved his puppy from chocolate overdose by controlling his wild, office inappropriate antics.

Set the factory on fire.

That last one probably won't help you.

Edited by magenta_majors, 21 March 2014 - 01:12 AM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 2 Members:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

"<serious voice> Oh, he is so cute! <puppy voice> I brought him some puppy treats for his big car ride home!  WHO WANTS TO GO FOR A CAR RIDE?  Who wants to go?  <serious voice> Yeah, he really is adorable, but he's not allowed. <puppy voice> You're not allowed, are you fella?  Who's not allowed? Who's violating FDA laws? That's right...That's right. You are. <serious voice> Really, he has to go"

lol that's hilarious  :roflmao:    "Who's violating FDA laws?"

I'm pretty sure all of those ideas would get someone fired though

Edited by MerleW, 21 March 2014 - 11:36 AM.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

I must admit, I feel the same way when children are brought in!! :roflmao:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

OH me, too! 

About twice a year, we have to tour the owner's grandchildren and whatever sports team they are a part of. No one else's children get a tour, but even my boss was not about to argue about this.  So I put on my puppy/kindergarten teacher voice (No disrespect to teachers...) and tour away. 

:sleazy: Hey, I like paychecks!

Edited by Setanta, 21 March 2014 - 01:52 PM.

-Setanta         

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thank you, Thank you.....I needed that laugh today. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

OH me, too! 

About twice a year, we have to tour the owner's grandchildren and whatever sports team they are a part of. No one else's children get a tour, but even my boss was not about to argue about this.  So I put on my puppy/kindergarten teacher voice (No disrespect to teachers...) and tour away. 

:sleazy: Hey, I like paychecks!

HA!  :roflmao:

We may be inhuman monsters, but kids are sticky.  The only thing domestic about me is my perfume....

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

mesophile

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 142 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hi All,

wow! A difficult conversation with your boss is entailing. You should inform him that if they were caught it could close the company down, loose their accreditation and land them in some hot water with the USDA. Not to mention the potential food safety risks, lawsuits, jail etc... Do this subtly when nobody is around, that way your boss doesn't loose face in front of others, however gets the message.

Although I must admit Magenta's comments would be a good backup plan :-)

Thanks

Simon

Bean Queen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

The owner of the company brought in their new puppy for about 6 months. One day FDA surprised us with an inspection.

The puppy ran out into the lobby to greet her. She did not make any comments regarding the dog on the premises....perhaps he was not in the processing or food storage area.

Most of us have a no animal statement written into our GMP policies.

Zahn.R

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

It is important for top management to lead by example.  If everyone starts bringing their puppies to work he will certainly have a problem with that, however how will he justify the fact that he is allowed...?  Just because he is management... not reason enough!

Ekivlen

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I see this thread is quite old now, but maybe you will still respond to questions regarding it:

I'd be interested in the layout of the plant, what proximity the offices are to the floor, the process flow, etc.

I've seen many plants where the production floor is very separated from the office areas. Even in separate buildings. From what you've supplied, the RTE floor is 'adjacent' to the office area where Mr. Canine spends his time. This would be unacceptable. 

To play devil's advocate, I've had contractors, truck drivers, etc. come in the office and non-production areas of the plant that were less sanitary than my dogs...

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

To play devil's advocate, I've had contractors, truck drivers, etc. come in the office and non-production areas of the plant that were less sanitary than my dogs...

I can so identify.  :roflmao:

I have to confess to being curious......what did happen with the puppy challenge.........you know inquiring minds....

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

I bet Magenta scattered some rat poison about the place, which the damn dog ate , and collapsed and died in the MD / CEO's office!

So now, you've got a corpse on your site!

FDA won't like that!

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I bet Magenta scattered some rat poison about the place, which the damn dog ate , and collapsed and died in the MD / CEO's office!

So now, you've got a corpse on your site!

FDA won't like that!

ahh....poor puppy.  Not only will it upset FDA, you will then have the animal activists to deal with. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

We don't let them in either! <smiley> Truck drivers can only be in the entry way of our loading area, there is a port-a-potty outside if they need to go! Contractors follow GMPs. Although generally, we don't have contractors working IN production during production hours.

Puppies are cute, but not at work. Except dead puppies, they are not much fun...

Edited by Setanta, 09 July 2014 - 06:25 PM.

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

We don't let them in either! <smiley> Truck drivers can only be in the entry way of our loading area, there is a port-a-potty outside if they need to go! Contractors follow GMPs. Although generally, we don't have contractors working IN production during production hours.

Puppies are cute, but not at work. Except dead puppies, they are not much fun...

Awww the video isn't working.  I was looking forward to that after a couple slices of pizza...

You could go full passive aggressive and find a stuffed animal that looks like his dog, put a noose around it's neck, and hang it from his door knob... Just sayin.

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Awww the video isn't working.  I was looking forward to that after a couple slices of pizza...

You could go full passive aggressive and find a stuffed animal that looks like his dog, put a noose around it's neck, and hang it from his door knob... Just sayin.

Ahhhh....between Daisy Dukes and puppies.....looks like a bunch of people need some stress relief......"Bartender a round of valium and shots for everyone" :w00t:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

It is just a silly song, (from Dr Demento if that's a clue) I don't know what that particular video looked like, so maybe it is a good thing it didn't play

-Setanta         

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Ahhhh....between Daisy Dukes and puppies.....looks like a bunch of people need some stress relief......"Bartender a round of valium and shots for everyone" :w00t:

awe thanks I think weeeeee needed that.  weeeeeeee

It is just a silly song, (from Dr Demento if that's a clue) I don't know what that particular video looked like, so maybe it is a good thing it didn't play

I don't think I know that one I'll have to look it up lol

Mr. Incognito

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users