Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Brunei
    Brunei

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hi, do I need two separate hazard analyses for raw ingredients and packaging? OR can anyone suggest a better way?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

Hi, do I need two separate hazard analyses for raw ingredients and packaging? OR can anyone suggest a better way?

You carry out a Hazard Analysis on your whole process, it is specific to the final product/final product category. What final products are you referring to? packaging or food?

Regards,

Tony

N.Hanafiah

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Brunei
    Brunei

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Essentially, we process food and then package it. So an analysis of the actual packaging materials we use would be needed? Sorry I'm very new at this and our consultant is giving me lots of different answers.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks & Regards,

Nabilah

FS System

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

the analysis is conducted to review the hazards that are likely to be introduced into your product through the process, raw materials, environment and contact surfaces . Therefore yes, your hazard analysis should include the packaging process. This would not however necessarily mean that all the packaging material are tested ( analysed). It means you consider the hazards that may be associated with them ( such as microbial load, ink migration) and  address these through your fsms.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Essentially, we process food and then package it. So an analysis of the actual packaging materials we use would be needed? Sorry I'm very new at this and our consultant is giving me lots of different answers.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks & Regards,

Nabilah

Hi Nabilah,

As per CODEX Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) System and Guidelines for its Application you will need to include all the steps in your process from goods intake to delivery to customer and all the materials used in making the finished product in your HACCP study.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

We have primary packaging materials on our Ingredient/Raw Material hazard analysis, and that has satisfied past auditors.  Our control of this hazard is through our Approved Supplier program, as well as some independent (random and occasional) lab testing (we use printed foil, so we run tests for heavy metals).  We also ask for Letters of Guarantee from our suppliers, again as part of the Approved Supplier program.

Good luck!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

I appreciate the help!

Thanks & Regards,

Nabilah

May depend on the context, ie yr process, but a basic answer to yr query is that the packaging must be "food grade" (perhaps "approved for [direct?] food contact" is a more accurate terminology).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users