Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Which standard is, in your opinion and experience, on a higher level?

Thank you for your answers!

debaduttajayaprakash

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

if you are manufacturing site where you do a lots of production then go for FSSC22000 . if you are small site with some manufacturing going on best is go for BRC ( Global standard for food safety -V6) 

Both are GFSI standards and can not be compared against each other . With BRC you can meet all EU states requirement and can also export to USA and Canada . 

My personal choice is BRC for small to medium scale industry and FSSC22000 for large manufacturing site 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

IFS is a recognized GFSI food safety standard: http://www.mygfsi.co...ed-schemes.html

IFS Pack and IFS Food Standard Version 6.

I have never dealt with IFS so I don't know the answer to your direct question Tijana but the scope of related industry sectors seems smaller.

I've been in SQF (Level 3) and FSSC 22000 personally.  Good luck in your choice.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

Which standard is, in your opinion and experience, on a higher level?

Thank you for your answers!

Dear tijana,

I suggest you supply futher context to yr query, eg product /(inc. RTE or not)/process. Otherwise the responses may not relate.

The choice may also relate to yr local legislation, if any.  And probably to yr customers requirements.

There is a variety of comparisons of the major standards on this forum although IFS is in the minority usage. Try searching for IFS here via Google.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

tijana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

Thank you for the answers to all of you!

My company has ISO 9001, IFS and HACCP quality system, but I'm not sure if I would nevertheless introduced and ISO 22000. It is a medium-sized company, and I see that 22000 is quite similar to what we have, the only thing I was baffled is PRP and oPRP, but thanks to you and I have clarified myself.

In any case I will think about it and I will ask for your opinion.

Regards,

Tijana

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Hi Tijana,

The answer to you question is that whilst ISO 22000 is widely recognised it is not in fact a GFSI benchmarked standard on its own whereas IFS Food is a benchmarked standard.

ISO 22000 is however part of the FSSC Certification scheme which is benchmarked and so if you wanted to go with ISO 22000 you should consider FSSC 22000 Certification which also requires compliance with ISO/TS 22002 plus a few other FSSC specified requirements

ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 Prerequisite programmes on food safety - Part 1: Food manufacturing specifies detailed requirements to be considered in relation to ISO 22000:2005, 7.2.3:
a) construction and layout of buildings and associated utilities;
b) layout of premises, including workspace and employee facilities;
c) supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities;
d) supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal;
e) suitability of equipment and its accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventive maintenance;
f) management of purchased materials;
g) measures for the prevention of cross-contamination;
h) cleaning and sanitizing;
i) pest control;
j) personnel hygiene.
In addition, ISO/TS 22002 adds other aspects which are considered relevant to manufacturing operations:
1) rework;
2) product recall procedures;
3) warehousing;
4) product information and consumer awareness;
5) food defence, biovigilance and bioterrorism.
'

I am sure if you search on the forums you will find lots more information on both schemes and also on how to differentiate between PRPs, OPRPs & CCPs.

If I am over simplifying a little I apologise but here is an overview:

PRPs for generic hazards as per ISO 22000 7.2 Prerequisite programmes (PRPs) .

In determination of OPRPs and CCPs you consider ISO 22000 7.4.4 Selection and assessment of control measures for significant hazards (which would have a high score in likelihood x severity):

OPRPs for significant hazards that are not to be controlled in the HACCP plan.

CCPs for significant hazards to be controlled at CCPs as defined in the HACCP plan.

Regards,

Tony

tijana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Dear Toni,

Thank you for the answer!

Tijana

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi Tatjana,

does thsi question arises? Are you in a position to make the best choice?

"Continental" european companies/customers require IFS, UK customers ask for BRC, but many do audits on their own and have brand specific guidelines (M&S, Tesco, Sainsbury...).

I personally would like to move to FSSC 22000, but not to have 1 certificate more at the wall.

Rgds

Moskito

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi Tatjana,

does thsi question arises? Are you in a position to make the best choice?

"Continental" european companies/customers require IFS, UK customers ask for BRC, but many do audits on their own and have brand specific guidelines (M&S, Tesco, Sainsbury...).

I personally would like to move to FSSC 22000, but not to have 1 certificate more at the wall.

Rgds

Moskito

Ignore this post, you should consult your customers as to their preference. IFS Food is a GFSI benchmarked standard but by no means a requirement of all European customers. Usually there is a requirement to be certified to one of the GFSI benchmarked standards.

Unfortunately too many people who think they are experts post on the forums and I apologise for that.

Regards,

Tony

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

To an extent Tony,

In my previous position one of the companies that we copacked for was pushing hard for us to go BRC which my quality manager had to fight tooth and nail for them to accept a change to "Any GFSI standard" which allowed us to go SQF which she was more familiar with.

In reality the point of GFSI is that all of the standards provide a baseline level of food safety security.  Some go above and beyond in some areas such as SQF level 3 which pushes food QUALITY as high as food SAFETY.  SQF level 2 is more alike FSSC22000 (in a broad sense of the word alike).

You should be able to convince a customer that any GFSI compliant food safety standard should be allowed because of this fact.  But whether or not they will buy into that is their own decision.

Again good luck with your choice.

Merle

(Edit: I am far from an expert in any area of Quality/Safety but I'm doing the best with what I've learned)

Edited by MerleW, 07 April 2014 - 11:52 AM.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

debaduttajayaprakash

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

I agree with Merle W. 

We are a small BRC Grade- A company who does hers, spices , lentils and dried fruit packaging, mixing and also contract packaging for some of the major well known name in UK household. Because we deal with Herbs and spices as a major part of our business it is not always possible to get a BRC certified company abroad and unfortunately couple of our customer just don't understand that BRC is among few standards which is recognized as GFSI .

One of our customer got a policy that they will only source from BRC certified company , as we deal with bulk herbs and spices , we dont open many of the bulk packs as they only get stored and dispatched so our customer ask for BRC certified company for those ingredients  as well and I am having a long standing arguments that we do accept supplier with GFSI certification along with where not possible IS022000 with a HACCP based operation. All of them were also audited by myself and there is an entire 36 page audit report with non conformance raised during audit is available but still those two customer are just a pain . I am surprised with there technical team understanding regarding food safety in the supply chain. 

Its not only causing un necessary paperwork also waste of time because some just don't want accept some universal facts. 

I personally like BRC and FSSC22000 standard 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Getting (Even) Further OT

Dear Merle,

SQF level 2 is more alike FSSC22000 (in a broad sense of the word alike).

Too tempting to resist.

More alike than what ?  Or did you mean more alike than different ? :biggrin:

Please elaborate.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

lol Charles.

What I was stating is that FSSC 22000 and SQF level 2 are alike in that they are concerned with food safety not food quality like SQF level 3.  They are, however, not exactly alike each other in where they put different emphasis on certain things especially now with SQF requiring unannounced audits and FSSC not.

For an example (and yes this relates to product quality but it's just a parallel example):

You buy two boxes of long cut pasta that have the same external dimension.  One has higher food quality standards than the other.  You may not know that as a customer unless you notice, and can recognize, that one sticks together more (higher starch release).  Is that going to kill you?   No.  Is it going to ruin your dinner? No.  Will you have to scrub that pan more?  Yes.

In the end does your life change if you have SQF Level 2 or FSSC 22000?  Not really (except the unannounced audits). 

In the end does your life change if you have SQF Level 3 or FSSC 22000?  Yes because you have to have a food quality plan and a food safety plan.  You have to have quality control points and blah blah blah.  As you can see there is a stark difference between those two standards.  If you ship out product that is out of quality parameters you may need to recall... etc.  But you get to put their really cool logo on your product :shades:

That's basically what I mean Charles.

Mr. Incognito

Nirbhay Pampaniya

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

IFS is better *afaik*

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic