18 replies to this topic
- - - - -

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:47 PM

I am looking for an easy way to train Health & Safety on the production lines. We are using the Du Pont STOP system to train, but would like to personalise it.
I have spent 3 hours this morning trying to find a picture of someone working unsafely, the sort of picture that is in your Food Packaging Hygiene Raising the Standard booklet, but for Health & Safety. Any ideas?

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:42 PM

:(
Sorry Sam I've had a good look too but not been able to find anything. Most of the H & S training aids, posters etc. available tell you what to do e.g. knees bent, straight back lifting, and not, what not to do! Could be a good idea - as cartoony type training aids are very good at getting the message across.

Hmmm...

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:24 AM

Sam,

I have looked in the past and found very little. I have some training notes at home (I think <_< ) which include a cartoon where you had to spot the hazards. I will look it out and try and upload it. I will also ask our H&S officer if he has any info.

Anyway my main point is that when I do GMP training I use photos of poor practices found (or sometimes set up) inside our factory. I think that staff respond well to pictures from their own environment rather than of somewhere else.

I'll get back if I find anything.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:57 PM

Anyway my main point is that when I do GMP training I use photos of poor practices found (or sometimes set up) inside our factory. I think that staff respond well to pictures from their own environment rather than of somewhere else.

Absolutely agree - I would be lost without my digital camera.

I work in a 'safe / hygienic' plant - Take 20 minutes walking round your plant looking for issues & you will be horrified.

The camera has a way of polarising activities & scenarios that you would normally walk past every day.

I have now completed a number of 'Snap Shot' Audits and compiled presentations for factory briefings / awareness sessions. It is a very powerful tool.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

The camera has a way of polarising activities & scenarios that you would normally walk past every day.

I did a similar excersise a couple of years back where I took a load of photos of a print press and work area. I arranged them all on a big board and left them in a room for a week with a pile of post it notes. I asked all the print staff to call in over the week and post their ideas for improvements. I must say initially my action created a massive backlash, but we rode it and to their credit, they came up with some fantastic ideas. In fact, before we had a chance to collate the ideas at the end of the week the print department was already shining like a new pin. :)

It's a good one to be used sparingly.

Whilst we are on the subject some pest control companies now take digital photos during the Technician and Field Biologist visits - again these are great for highlighting areas for attention.

"The door was open"
"Oh no it wasn't"
"Oh yes it was..." :P

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:49 PM

:thumbup: Thank you all for your replies, I am about to set off with my camera!! Will probably scare the living daylights out of the MD when I show them him, but it can only improve things!!

Thanks again

Nadine ;)

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Petrolhead, sleeping, too much food and many other items that are forgotten!!

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:21 PM

Oddly enough We have just started to do this.

The main reason was our 14001 audits, as has been said, a picture is worth .....

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:18 PM

I took some pictures of our factory - Thought they may be useful to some other companies as a learning aid - Please see attached :yikes:

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:20 AM

Hi Rich,

I thought you were being serious for a minute there mate.

Third place must be a case of criminal negligence...I mean a pink polo shirt with those shorts??? :lol2:

Simon

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:55 AM

They are great pictures!!

:beer: Thanks, think they will have to go in the training session.

--Mark Twain

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:50 PM

I think I would be out of a job if these pictures did come from my factory :crying:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

Richard, if the pictures came from your factory you'd be in here:

Posted Image
Is that your procedures manual under your arm?
:rofl2:
Simon

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:26 AM

What an artist..

Stoker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

I am looking for an easy way to train Health & Safety on the production lines. We are using the Du Pont STOP system to train, but would like to personalise it.
I have spent 3 hours this morning trying to find a picture of someone working unsafely, the sort of picture that is in your Food Packaging Hygiene Raising the Standard booklet, but for Health & Safety. Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I set up a web site last year, and one of the reasons was for photos to be used in presentations, as well as to assist NEBOSH students.

the site is increasing in terms of content and is free for all educational purposes, although a mention of the source would be nice.
safetyphoto

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:22 AM

Hello Stoker,

I've had a trawl through your web site and there's some good stuff on there; it looks as though you could be building a useful resource. A word of advice you need to think about structure and usability now before your site gets too large.

Consider grouping the photographs into headings like construction, DIY, manufacturing, roadwork's, home etc. any maybe have sub headings within them. Safetyphoto 1, 2, 3, 4, 5… are meaningless and will not help the user find the information they are looking for easily and may actually put some people off from returning to you site. You wouldn't want to be a cause of stress to your visitors would you? ;)

A link to our site is also a woeful omission: http://www.saferpak.com

Anyway that's my 2p worth Stoker I hope you can stick around and join in some of the Health & Safety discussions. I know how hard it is developing a web site so keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

Stoker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the constructive advice, but its all in hand with the next version, I am putting together and testing before it goes live so to speak, meanwhile chaos rules.
The site has grown far quicker than I thought.

the links there, and if you want to send logo over and very brief description please do

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the constructive advice, but its all in hand with the next version, I am putting together and testing before it goes live so to speak, meanwhile chaos rules.
The site has grown far quicker than I thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look forward to seeing the next revision - keep us posted.

The links there, and if you want to send logo over and very brief description please do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that, I'll send some info when I get a minute. :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

eyadas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hi Every body,

My name is Eyad Sallam, I worked in the field of HSE or some call it HS&E and some people nowadays added to it another S to be HSSE Health safety security and environment management.

Actually without a digital camera a person in my job as HSE Coordinator or officer would never be able to investigate evidence of accidents or near-misses, it's a good tool to report to management and forward quality reports.

Rgds,
Eyad Sallam,

eyadas@emirates.net.ae

Dubai

United arab Emirates , UAE

+971-50-5341995

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hello Eyad,

Actually without a digital camera a person in my job as HSE Coordinator or officer would never be able to investigate evidence of accidents or near-misses, it's a good tool to report to management and forward quality reports.

Yes what a fantastic invention the digital camera was, much faster than a sketch. I can think of no better way to quickly and easily catch offenders and in cohorts with the digital cameras best friend ‘email' we can now rat on our colleagues almost instantaneously. :lol:

Joking aside I'd be lost without my digital camera. It is one of the modern day inventions that has definitely changed things for the better.

By the way if you want to share some of your Health & Safety photographs you can add them to the Members Gallery at the following link:
http://www.saferpak....&module=gallery

Anyway welcome to the forums Eyad; hope to speak with you some more real soon. :bye:

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users