• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Hi all

I'm advertising a position to existing staff for two pre-op hygiene inspectors in our bakery. We have recently renovated the bakery to a very high standard, and are working toward a Risk Management Programme with a view to exporting. I'm just putting together a job description, but if anyone has anything that they can share to assist with this, I'd appreciate it. I've searched the net but can't find anything really suitable. I really want to sell the role to people with a good attitude and commitment. They aren't always going to be Mr or Ms Popular if they find something that results in them having to get equipment re-cleaned before a shift can start (for example), so need to made of the right stuff!

Many thanks

Regards

Paul B

Napier

New Zealand

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Ugh, hiring is so hard!  Ofcourse you would need to include any food safety related activities in the job descriptions.  But getting the right culture is difficult.  I find it's easiest with interview questions - what would you do if X, how would you handle Y.   A good candidate, for me, would not only say shut down the line, they'd say something about root cause or finding and solving the problem. 

If you don't need someone with a degree, it may be good to promote someone internally & educate them on QA. I like people with manufacturing experience, because they're well familiar with the interaction, and people from the floor often understand why a problem is happening and how to fix it, and if you hire from the inside, you will know who is a good employee and that person will know how to interact with your staff. My best techs have always been people from the floor who I promoted & trained.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 2 Members:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Attention to detail

X years of experience in bakery equipment required

X years of cleaning and sanitation experience required

X years of quality control or inspection experience recommended

(High school degree?  I don't know your country and what people typically have for schooling experience)  Personally I don't like when a college degree is required for anything... if anything they should be recommended there are excellent candidates for every job but requiring a degree can exclude them.

Your looking to add things like that.  When you put required you are going to get rid of people who are wishy washy on if their experience is going to work but the areas that are "required" are general enough that you can edge someone in if you think they are going to work out "Hey I bake at home 3 times a week but I used to clean in a yogurt plant 4 years ago"

For "X" years you have to decide the level of experience you want v/s what the pay for the position is going to be.  2 years?  3 years?  You have to figure that one out yourself.

Good luck.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users