• Quick Navigation
Photo

Interesting input on quality meat...your feedback?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hi all,

Interesting data from consumer insights. According to a very recent survey, and in spite of a durable crisis, french consumers are really interested in a high quality meat - that's to say with a usual meat color with usual odour, then the origin of the meat...and the price is 'only' at the 3rd position.

http://www.lafrancea...sncp-90013.html (details if you are keen on details, french version only, sorry)

As such the meat channel decides to react in order to fight against the pressure from grocery to require lower and lower prices...because it does not meet with the consumer requirements.

Such pressures practices involve last year the horsemeat scandal (http://en.wikipedia....eration_scandal), and consumers still remember the BSE in the late 90s : would it mean that the vicious circle "how to decrease more prices by arguing consumers' expectations" is broken from this perspective (for a while..let's wait for to see if it is long lasting or not)

Who said that quality is not a top priority topic for consumer :ejut: ?

What do you think on this topic?

And you, what is your perception on the quality meat? your first priorities? what about potential feedbacks from your country/ market?

What are the products concerned by the increased awareness of your compatriots? A part, nothing or all?

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

I must admit I was one of the lucky ones to get hold of  Wagyu steak which was on offer at Aldi's yesterday (other beef types and supermarkets are available). I would think that in order to market it as Wagyu it would have to be completely traceable. It was very nice too, Medium rare, cooked in butter, Lovely!

I'm a farm girl, and we're used to slaughtering our own animals, so I know totally where my meat is from. As I do my eggs. This doesn't mean that I don't buy supermarket meat, but if I needed something that was not our norm I would try and use the local butcher first. I buy quite a bit of fish from the supermarket, as they have a more varied choice.

I'm the same with Dairy products. You can tell who has shopped in our house; I only buy full cream milk, "proper" cheese (usually a farmhouse mature), none of the fat free yogurts (full of sugar), and ice cream that actually does have cream in! If i'm not picking my Veg from the garden, then I tend to use our local farm shop. My job this weekend, making strawwberry jam

However, price does play a part in peoples choices, but you really do pay for what you get!

Caz x

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

I must admit I was one of the lucky ones to get hold of  Wagyu steak which was on offer at Aldi's yesterday (other beef types and supermarkets are available). I would think that in order to market it as Wagyu it would have to be completely traceable. It was very nice too, Medium rare, cooked in butter, Lovely!

I'm a farm girl, and we're used to slaughtering our own animals, so I know totally where my meat is from. As I do my eggs. This doesn't mean that I don't buy supermarket meat, but if I needed something that was not our norm I would try and use the local butcher first. I buy quite a bit of fish from the supermarket, as they have a more varied choice.

I'm the same with Dairy products. You can tell who has shopped in our house; I only buy full cream milk, "proper" cheese (usually a farmhouse mature), none of the fat free yogurts (full of sugar), and ice cream that actually does have cream in! If i'm not picking my Veg from the garden, then I tend to use our local farm shop. My job this weekend, making strawwberry jam

However, price does play a part in peoples choices, but you really do pay for what you get!

Caz x

Dinner at Caz's!  

When my boys were toddlers I made their yogurt because all that was available was light or non-fat and their calorie demand was so high. I made them yogurt with whole milk and cream, it was so rich and creamy.  My friends loved it!  In my location it is hard to get the choices you have, but they sound wonderful. 

Back to topic.  Price and quality are very dependent on your location as circumstances.  I would prefer to place quality first but that isn't always an option when most everything is shipped in, it makes food more expensive.  So price matters. 

Edited by Snookie, 13 June 2014 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

thanks for your contribution =

Caz x

Agree for dinner at Caz's ending with Snookie's yogurts :-) - and with the sentence 'you really do pay for what you get'

I take the point, for sure price matters...but this is also a matter of choice - do we choose to eat 5 times a week low price meat or once/twice per week higher quality meat? At the end of the month you spend the same amount of money in your meat so the price is equivalent..but for sure this point is valid in developed countries, I assume the questions are not the same in some other countries

Do you feel confident whatever the price is when you buy food products? do you have the same confidence in the quality (mycotoxins, sanitation, hygien of products&factories, pesticides..) when you buy biscuits/ meat/ fruits with a low price or do you make some distinctions?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

Like Caz I do prefer fresh/farm fresh if you can get it. That's okay for seafood over here but not for red meats.

I do remember buying a bulk share of beef from the local farmer once in the UK and filled the chest freezer I had. My partner at the time informed me the next day that she had decided to 'go vegetarian' :rolleyes:

When I go to the supermarket I look for colour/appearance/origin/price and take all into consideration. I am always prepared to pay more for something I see as 'quality' but value does come into it as well.

Regarding dairy after spending 12 months of developing and tasting ice cream I stopped eating that but I'm starting to think a nice one made with cream sounds good again! Again same as Caz I have to have whole milk, butter not margarine and real cheese - extra mature cheddar.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

We have a really cool ice cream company that is very regional still.....Blue Bell.  Their motto, "we eat all we can and sell the rest".  :rofl2:   Seriously though their ice cream is amazing....expensive but amazing.  I usually wait for it to go on sale and by a bunch. 

I agree real dairy, butter, not margarine, real cheese.  Whole milk with cream is very hard to get here and when you can very expensive.  Fresh good coffee requires cream not powder. 

Beef has not been the same lately and very pricey.  I haven't met a vegetable I don't like. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

it seems we react in the same way

what about the behaviours in your respective countries - are you a 'lonely sailor', part of very few people, does this awareness begin to emerge in the mindset of people?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

I buy my meat at the dollar store.  They have whatever didn't sell well at the stores.  Once a pay day (every couple weeks) I splurge and get steaks from the discount grocery.  You have to bring your own bags but its not so bad. Origin? Not on my list of things I care about.

When I was little we'd get our meat from the "meat man" who was a guy with a freezer who'd come around and ask if you needed any meat, and it was clearly old and/or stolen.   But cheap!

Edited by magenta_majors, 27 June 2014 - 11:15 AM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

it seems we react in the same way

what about the behaviours in your respective countries - are you a 'lonely sailor', part of very few people, does this awareness begin to emerge in the mindset of people?

The US is a very large country with a very diverse population so I cannot speak for everyone.....however I think most people want quality and fresh.  However the economic challenges on the average person are so large these days that price is very much a consideration.  For many people, even those with above average jobs, it is challenge just to keep a roof overhead, gas in the car and food in the house.  God help you if you need medical care.   Stepping off soapbox. 

Edited by Snookie, 27 June 2014 - 05:50 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users