• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can somebody recommend a 3rd-party audit company?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

jd1540zz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi guys,

Can somebody recommend a 3rd-party audit company that they have had a good experience with? We are a cannery that needs to provide audit information to Walmart and Costco and need to get audited by one of the following:

NSF-GFTC

NSF

SAI-Global

Randolph & Associates

SGS

Silliker

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,598 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

What standard are you looking at going for? BRC, SQF? I believe there are many to chose from that Wal-Mart and Costco will accept.

Setanta

Edited by Setanta, 13 June 2014 - 03:12 PM.

-Setanta         

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

I have had good experiences with Steritech, and Silliker.  Thought SGS was so-so.  Have seen systems that NSF has approved (with high marks) that did not even come close to meeting the standard.  I personally would be very suspicious of an NSF audit. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

jd1540zz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

I am not necessarily looking to go for SQF or BRC yet. I am looking to get certified by one of these companies food safety audit programs sort of as a stepping stone to get to SQF or BRC.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

I've been through Randolph for SQF.  You can pick your auditor with them as I understand.  I have a name if you want it msg me

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

We have used Randolph for 5 years for our third party audits. We would still be using them if we were going SQF instead of BRC. Silliker  did our BRC gap audit. They weer also very good and very through. 

gaardendan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

This is a challenging question. So much of this depends on auditor calibration. I've been through well over 100 Food Safety/Quality Systems audits and I've had a few NSF auditors that were laughable because they were so easy and one NSF auditor that was almost impossible to pass with. I have simillar experieces with Steritech, Sillker and SAI Global too.

As for NSF-GFTC, I would have recommended them a few years ago but their really just NSF now. My last three NSF GFTC audits have been NSF contract auditors that know nothing about GFTC.

I would say 98% depends on your auditor. If you get a good auditor recommended, run with it.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

This is a challenging question. So much of this depends on auditor calibration. I've been through well over 100 Food Safety/Quality Systems audits and I've had a few NSF auditors that were laughable because they were so easy and one NSF auditor that was almost impossible to pass with. I have simillar experieces with Steritech, Sillker and SAI Global too.

As for NSF-GFTC, I would have recommended them a few years ago but their really just NSF now. My last three NSF GFTC audits have been NSF contract auditors that know nothing about GFTC.

I would say 98% depends on your auditor. If you get a good auditor recommended, run with it.

I would agree. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

badolan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

We have had about 7 audits with Randolph, they are a great company to go with in my opinion. We have used several auditors and they were all great. I would highly recommend them, depending on what standard you are trying for. We are  HACCP certified so they work great for us. If we decide to go for a higher certification like a our sister plant has someday, We will use Silliker. I have been told by their QA they have used them for years and had no problems. I can recommend you a great auditor, as well. If you are planning on using Randolph. Shoot me an email. :spoton:

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

This is a challenging question. So much of this depends on auditor calibration. I've been through well over 100 Food Safety/Quality Systems audits and I've had a few NSF auditors that were laughable because they were so easy and one NSF auditor that was almost impossible to pass with. 

Isnt that the truth! I agree with gaardendan 100% - We had an auditor from NSF here twice who gave us a C rating (the second time he gave us 2 majors and 18 minors!), the next auditor we had through them we got an A with only 1 minor - I think that with any auditing body you are going to run into a wide spectrum of auditors. I have had good experiences with SAI Global, NSF and Silliker and Randolphs. 

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Isnt that the truth! I agree with gaardendan 100% - We had an auditor from NSF here twice who gave us a C rating (the second time he gave us 2 majors and 18 minors!), the next auditor we had through them we got an A with only 1 minor - I think that with any auditing body you are going to run into a wide spectrum of auditors. I have had good experiences with SAI Global, NSF and Silliker and Randolphs. 

This has always been one of the issues with food safety standards, AIB, and other auditing groups.  Some auditors hit you for things others don't.  I know at one point I believe SQF was trying to tighten up what the auditors were looking at to try to get less variability in their auditors however they are only human and they do see things differently at times.

There is no way of getting around this issue.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

This has always been one of the issues with food safety standards, AIB, and other auditing groups.  Some auditors hit you for things others don't.  I know at one point I believe SQF was trying to tighten up what the auditors were looking at to try to get less variability in their auditors however they are only human and they do see things differently at times.

There is no way of getting around this issue.

The other thing that I have found ( continuing on Mr. I's "Human Element" comment) is that the background of the auditor makes a HUGE difference. If you have an auditor familiar with your product and the process steps, specifics of your HACCP, etc... and they know what they are looking at, I have found them to typically be a little harder.  Auditors that come from a field very different than the one that they are auditing tend to stick to the basics, GMPs, Sanitation, Pest... Basis PRP stuff. 

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

The other thing that I have found ( continuing on Mr. I's "Human Element" comment) is that the background of the auditor makes a HUGE difference. If you have an auditor familiar with your product and the process steps, specifics of your HACCP, etc... and they know what they are looking at, I have found them to typically be a little harder.  Auditors that come from a field very different than the one that they are auditing tend to stick to the basics, GMPs, Sanitation, Pest... Basis PRP stuff. 

that's one thing about SQF you have to have worked in the food sector you audit for a number of years... I believe it was somewhere around 5 or so years.  That way the auditors actually have an idea of what you do and how you should do it.

Mr. Incognito

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

we use SAI - global for ISO 22000 and ISO 9001

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic