Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Training Employees for Engagement and Motivation
Simon DawsonCardiff Metropolitan University

One of the hardest elements of a food safety and quality management system is being able to train production employees to follow a manufacturers food safety policies and procedures correctly on a day-to-day basis. Frequently completing tasks the right way is harder, more laborious and time consuming than completing tasks the quick way, where short-cuts may save production time now, however ultimately lead to problems further down the line. This presentation focuses on how you can train to engage employees and motivate them so they not only complete the tasks required, they understand why they need to complete them the correct way, so the need for taking short cuts later will ultimately be removed.

Watch Webinar Recording >>
Download Presentation Slides >>

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

I'm very interested in training games / physical activities or practical demonstrations instead of quizzes - I'd like to hear about alternatives to power points when training

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

How long should Food Safety training take? an hour? Two? Four? How often should employees have refresher training (most audit schemes state annually)? How can you get upper management to allow for this time for training?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Simon, very informative.  Training is essential, and must be regular and effectively, but not so easy to do.  Great tips and lot's of questions. :clap:

• The Pennington report refered to the normalisation of deviance in food handlers contributing to South Wales E Coli outbreak.  It is extremely difficult to change the attitudes and beliefs in training sessions just be giving information and knowledge.  It needs a change in food safety culture.  How do you 'train' the company in improving their food safety culture?
  • I think that 30 minutes is not sufficient for regular safety training and is just as important as the food safety training.  In the US, people should not be allowed to work until they are fully trained in the occupational hazards of their tasks.  For an example, the information that is required to be presented takes close to 20 minutes alone.  Are you sying that we should postpone the safety training to give more time to food safety training?
  • Do you recommend using pen and paper testing to verify the effectiveness of the training
  • Please edit my first question to show that it refers to just hearing conservation and does not include all mandated safety topics that an employee needs.  My point was that if each topic in safety takes 20 minutes, and you have 5-10 topics that are necessary to train, it takes far longer than 30 minutes for the worker safety topics.
  • Thanks for the nice presentation. Can you please help me understand how to measure effectiveness of training and what are the different ways and which are the better way
  • What if training is effective for 90% of employees yet 10% do not care and are not engaged.  How do you change their mindsets?
  • What is appropriate for seasonal/temporary employees?
  • How to handle some stubborn worker at factory floor?
  • How to measure trainer as a effective trainer?
  • Very good presentation. I totally agree with you Simon. In many cases we see budget reduction in training. Could you talk some words about it?
  • How do you balance between reading training, class room training and coaching on the job
  • Experience versus knowledge, how young person with good knowledge of processes at factory can retrain worker, who worked 10 years and who thinks that all he done is right. So how you can correct mistake of previous trainer who trained staff wrongly and for a long time nobody retrained staff how to do things right.
  • I have a presentation about hand washing just about 10 slides long that tells the story, in a conversational manner, of Typhoid Mary.  It gets the point across of how important hand washing is.
  • Who is responsible for the upstream food safety training that is the suppliers of raw materials
  • How can one convince the senior management that training contributes to the bottom line?
  • Excellent presentation, Simon's passion unique

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users