• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hi all,

We have a very tough factory to clean as it hasn't been designed to be taken apart. 

I have been having a problem with my hygiene team leaving bolts and screws undone or just not replacing them.

I realise the easiest way to deal with this is to engineer out the problem or to have checklists (would be a massive document as there are too many to even think about recording accurately).

I am after novel and interesting ways that we could stop this being an issue without having to completely re engineer the lines. 

Does anyone here have experience of dealing with this problem??

Thanks

Phil

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Dear Hygman,

I asume the team usually have a specific allocated job.

It's hardly novel but one typical solution is to ensure that the person in charge of the team, or their nominated "responsible" is required to sign off on a form (not a checklist) which states that all machinery/parts in "Job No.XYZ" eg associated nuts, springs, bolts, etc has been satisfactorily checked for integrity / no extraneous material remains in the surrounding environment.

Of course many Engineers will do their best to avoid all knowledge of such a form. A simpler problem to solve. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Dear Hygman,

I asume the team usually have a specific allocated job.

It's hardly novel but one typical solution is to ensure that the person in charge of the team, or their nominated "responsible" is required to sign off on a form (not a checklist) which states that all machinery/parts in "Job No.XYZ" eg associated nuts, springs, bolts, etc has been satisfactorily checked for integrity / no extraneous material remains in the surrounding environment.

Of course many Engineers will do their best to avoid all knowledge of such a form. A simpler problem to solve. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

& I would add another 'old school' step to this..... small  labelled trays or boxes for each machine into which bolts etc are placed during dissasembly -and  after cleaning the machinery isn't re-commisioned until the tray is empty!

(this does require buy in from your engineers and a certain level of supervision-but it does work!)

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Our maintenance manager found these great magnetic trays by sunex -- all the mechanics have them on their toolboxes and the hardware goes right into the trays when disassembling machinery:

http://www.mscdirect...c&item=67688432

Hope this helps!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Our maintenance manager actually took some square baking pans and put magnets on them.  Nice to know they can be purchased and so much more stylish as well.  They work very well and the machines don't go into use unless the all has been accounted for. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

HygMan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:33 AM

Thanks Guys.

Love the Magnetic pans idea.

I'm afraid all responsibility for this has been thrown at the feet of Hygiene and the Engineering team have tried their hardest to not help or even get involved. I have asked for bolts to be replaced with welded in place threaded pins so there is only one part to lose instead of two. I have asked for bolts to be replaced with hooks and keyhole cuts in guards so guards can slide off rather than having to be undone using tools etc.

All to no avail.

I will be getting some magnetic pans for the team. Hopefully this will at least stop them disappearing in to the drains!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Dear Hygman,

Sadly, IMEX, no polite way to stop "drains" > "pockets" if something "left over".

Engineers read home, easy-to-fix cartoons also. :smile:

Anecdotes abound but many of them have grains of truth.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users