• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Greetings,

I'm a new member, and grateful to have the opportunity to post this question. 

We are market testing a ready-to-make recipe kit. The PET prototype tray has been thermoformed with compartments to hold pre-measured fresh ingredients and sauce packets etc. 

When we go into production the trays will be vacuum packed with gas flush, but we are not yet tooled up for that. However for the purpose of our focus group testing, we would like to put the product into the hands of participants with a clear film over the top that (if only temporarily) appears to seal in the ingredients.

We are hoping to find a way to do this manually without costly machinery, and would like to avoid stretch wrap as we don't think it will look good. We have consulted with some packaging material suppliers, but have thus far not come up with a solution. 

Can anyone suggest a film and a process that we might employ in-house? See image of the tray attached. 

Thank you,

Eggmeng 

Attached Files

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Not easy with such a complex shape, but if you have a film that 'heat seals' to the container then you could try to use a household iron.  I've used it on simple, small containers such as yoghurt tubs and lids.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Eggmeng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thank you Simon! A few points. 

1. Only the perimeter needs to be sealed. We are not concerned with sealing the individual compartments for market testing purposes. But if we could it would be a bonus.  
  2. Only dry ingredients or pre-packeted liquids will be placed in the cavities. Nothing that is wet and "loose."
  3. I have tried what you have suggested using shrink wrap and a household iron with a piece of waxed paper in between the two. All it did was melt the tray when I left it on too long! The film was totally unaffected. 

Do you know how or where we might get a film that "heat seals" as you say? 

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

The film needs to have a heat seal layer that is the correct formulation to seal to the container material.

You need to contact a lidding supplier for some samples.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Eggmeng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

OK, thanks. 

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

I use an iron too. As Simon says, make sure you get the right film for the tray!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

We used an iron too. It's trial and error for the time and setting of the iron and the correct film. Our trays also have a thin layer of APET over the CEPT (co-extruded) which melts readily to aid sealing with the film. This coex is not completely necessary, but it help by allowing the seal temp to be lower and this not distorting the tray.

Sharon

Eggmeng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Sharon, that's useful information !

Eggmeng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

Sharon, I believe our trays are PET and not CEPT. Do you think that means its properties are not suitable for this?  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users