• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hi all,

Long story short, we had to move our outdoor dumpsters to a very inconvenient and questionably safe location.

Does anyone know if moving dumpsters to an UNUSED, dock area is allowed? We would increase pest control, limit the frequency of opening the indoor dock doors, and ensure any open product is on the other side of the plant. I've asked several people and have mixed opinions but have not found any written evidence on whether this is allowed or not.

Thank you

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

A number of questions come to mind, such as what kind of waste we are talking about, how close is to production, what are the associated risks and can they be controlled?  Know there are other questions as well, but the key is can the risks be controlled?

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

I agree with the above.

There could be a way to mitigate any risks... but I'm not sure an auditor would be pleased either way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

We actually have an indoor trash compactor that is in the room next to our open processing. (Gasp*** ) - like I am talking maybe 50 feet away.

Its all about controlling the risk. We've passed BRC Audits, FDA & ODA, Customer Audits, Health and Safety Inspections.... They don't "like" it, but if you give them no evidence that your product is at risk then all they can do is complain about it. Depending on the type of waste, make sure you can control the pests, control the movements of staff, control access, control air, keep it clean, keep it emptied... No risk. Not favorable, but you can't be sited for it if there isnt any food safety hazard. 

(Just for the record - I am not condoning this, I HATE that this is where our compactor is and it is A LOT more work than necessary to keep it here.... but this is the job)

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users