• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to justify screen size in HACCP plan?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

Good morning all!

Ok, this question has come up a few times under audit - we create food flavorings (liquid, powder and extract).  Our only CCP in the building is our sifters in the powder process.  We have 2 sizes that we use - 22 mesh and 48 mesh.  The reasoning behind these is 1) they are very small....they will catch anything that is larger than the FDA allowable particle size and 2) we have to use sizes that the powders will go through.  The size used during the run is dependant on the product  we are running.  If a product is more dense, it goes through the 22 mesh (larger holes).  If it's lighter, more bouyant, it goes through the 48 mesh.

Now, here's the question - I have searched everywhere I can think of for scientific reasoning for the use of these screen sizes.  I have looked in 21 CFR....I have looked on the FDA website, I have looked everywhere.  Is there anywhere that states that you HAVE to use a specific screen size in your process?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

You have to use screen sizes that eliminate or reduce to an acceptable limit potential risks that in the absence of their control is reasonably likely to cause illness or injury... the definition of a CCP.  If your screens do that then you can justify the sizes you use.

What are the potential contaminants in your process?  Can they get through a screen of that mesh?  Are those the only control measures you have in place to mitigate such risk?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yes, these are the only controls we have - everything is pre-processed by our vendors before they come in and require sifting statements (on powder ingredients).  The only potential risk we would have would be metal or gaskets on the machinery, and the screens are very capable of catching that.

This has never been an issue before - all of a sudden, customers want scientific evidence to back everything up.  There is no science or requirements that I can find.  We've been SQF certified for 4 years and has never been an issue there either.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

I know AIB has an prescribed screen size for bulk raw materials... but I'm not aware of an SQF/GFSI limit (those tend to be based on risk assessment rather than prescriptive, right?)  or FDA size requirement. 

AIB  has 600 micron (30 mesh ) or 1000 micron (16-mesh) as their size limits.

This PDF has ... a lot... of information about sieves, testing, accuracy, etc... maybe, though not much info about standards.  Might help with setting a validation trial.    http://www.solutions...-procedures.pdf

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 1 Member:

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

I totally forgot about checking the AIB standard!  Duh  :doh:

Thank you!  

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Plus if you've haven't had any recalls or customer complaints for foreign material that is proof that your system works.

• RG3 likes this
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

Plus if you've haven't had any recalls or customer complaints for foreign material that is proof that your system works.

Mr I. that's my go to on a lot of my validations.

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

True, but that is not what they want to see.  They want scientific evidence as to why we picked sifting over say, magnets or metal detection.

I'm going to use the AIB standard for the corrective action that I need to write, since the auditor already saw the customer complaint log and such.  We haven't done an AIB audit in a few years since we became SQF certified, and I had totally forgotten about it being in their standard.

Thanks all for your help!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users