• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Guest_QAMgr79_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hi!

I have been searching the forums for a little bit here trying to find an answer /advice on my question, but I can't seem to find much.

I am wondering how often a HACCP Coordinator has to be "Re-trained" on HACCP? I was told by an 3rd party auditor that they like to see the HACCP Coordinator attend a HACCP Alliance recognized HACCP training at least every 2 years, but now I can't really find anything to confirm that's what other auditors want (specifically AIB). I am coming up on my 2 year mark and want to make sure I keep my training in compliance. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated! 

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

When I took this position my HACCP was at nearly 5 years which our auditor said I should definitely have training again before he came back the next year.  He had said that 3 years was acceptable I believe.  Our consultant company had said 2 years.  I think it's really just based on what people think and not a hard and fast rule anywhere.

I'll look in my AIB standard when I have a chance.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

AIB does not prescribe a timeline for HACCP Coordinator training specifically, only that it must be documented -
5.25.1.3 The facility has a
HACCP Team with members from multiple functions of the facility. The team has the  following characteristics:
•The team members have been trained
•The HACCP coordinator has documented HACCP training

However, in the training section 5.5, they have a general statement that annual training is required -

Refresher training and education are done at a minimum of annually or more often as needed.

I believe any number of trainings which build on the HACCP principals could be argued as a "Refresher".  For example, if you are taking a GFSI training course, it will build on HACCP.  I took a free FDA legislation course, which included the  7 steps of HACCP.  Etc etc. 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Guest_QAMgr79_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

Thank you both!

Yeah, that was my issue with the AIB Standard is that the HACCP training content seems rather ambiguous. What you said, Magenta,  about attending a training built on HACCP principles makes sense. I am thinking that maybe doing that would suffice for my annual "retraining" and then every 2 years attend a training that is recognized by the HACCP alliance. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

I received a similar 'bump' during my recent SQF audit. It's been at least 3 if not 4 years, so I'll ge that done before the next audit.

-Setanta         

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Our HACCP Team has had HACCP / HACCP Pre-Reqs / Advanced HACCP (whichever applicable based on need) and then We provide Semi-Annual HACCP Training to the rest of the team, as part of our general training program. I do not see anywhere that states specifically how often a recognized HACCP course must be taken by participants that have already received training, just that initial training has been received

Im gonna look at FDA regs - I seem to recall something being mentioned there (maybe a recommendation of re-educating after 5 years if my memory hasnt failed me) 

Edited by it_rains_inside, 17 December 2014 - 05:55 PM.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm with IRI with this one.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

Perhaps conduct a risk assessment?  :roflmao:

AFAIK, there is no hard and fast requirement for "re-training" frequency. The unwritten rule is 2-3 years.

Marshall

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

Not sure how we 'forget' something we eat and breath on a near daily basis, but my 2 bits are for the 'about every 3 years' based on BRC and YUM! brand auditor comments

KTD

Thanked by 1 Member:

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

Well you got me curious... searched CFR - didnt find a thing there.

I did  however call these guys... Once you are certified you are certified for life. From what the woman I talked to told me, there is NO REQUIRED RE-TRAINING. EVER. It may be an auditors preference, and people may want to re-train as part of a continuing education, but it is no way, shape or form a requirement of any standard. 

International HACCP Alliance

120 Rosenthal Center, 2471 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2471
Phone: (979)862-3643
Fax: (979)862-3075

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 4 Members:

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

I have to assume the rational is to ensure that we don't miss any new developments in HACCP/food safety. Particularly for USDA FSIS coverred processing, it is a good idea to take an advanced HACCP course that covers validation and verification in-depth. That appears to be the one of the more recent concerns during Food Safety Assessments.

KTD

Guest_QAMgr79_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

IRI.. Wow thank you so much for calling and looking into that. Good to know that they don't require a retraining.. I think I will stick with the 2-3 years "re-education" just to appease the auditors. 

KTD I couldn't agree more.. it's pretty much impossible to forget anything such as HACCP as it is such a huge part of our day/professional experience.

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

No problem at all QAMagr79, My two year anniversary is coming up, so I was interested for myself as well.

-Wayne W. Dyer

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Like so many other things, this will depend on a particular auditor's personal HACCP belief system and mood of the day.  And if the moon is over the auditor's left shoulder...

That being said, it's never wrong to have refresher training, and getting more advanced training is good for you.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

CFR actually states that knowledge from HACCP training can be acquired with on the job experience in lieu of formal classes/training (At least for the juice and dairy, I didn't dig too deep into seafood, because yuck).

"shall have successfully completed training in the application of HACCP principles to juice processing at least equivalent to that received under standardized curriculum recognized as adequate by the Food and Drug Administration, or shall be otherwise qualified through job experience to perform these functions"

I guess if an auditor asked you could say "But the FDA doesn't even care if I had training at all as long as I know it!" .. but I think we all prefer to keep our jobs XD

For AIB, I know if you don't have a current cert, you can maintain your knowledge of HACCP and ask if you can demonstrate it to the auditor - but beware, this might be a trap to lead through a series of questions and end up at "Gee auditor, I guess this one part of HACCP plan IS incorrect."  

Edited by magenta_majors, 17 December 2014 - 09:20 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

I try and attend some sort of training every year that is HACCP related.  I know that most auditors look for certification and date of the training.  Never been queried, but maybe because I have taken something every year.  I see this year in my area that there is actually a HACCP retrain course being offered through our food processors association and likely taught by NSF-GFTC (Canadian eh).  :happydance:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users