Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

Some of my food processing clients have identified sanitation as an OPRP.  Specific insects common to food processing (ants, cockroaches, filth flies, fungus gnats, etc.), as well as commensal rodents and birds are known vectors of pathogens. And sanitation is the major element in any food processing or warehousing IPM program.

It seems to me that IPM should be considered an OPRP as well, requiring pest monitoring and trending, the establishment of action thresholds (upper control limits), documented trend analysis, and when activity exceeds the action threshold, the undertaking of a corrective action.

Further, it seems to me that performing such corrective action would allow one to demonstrate preventive pest control -- and prevention is one of the pillars of the new US Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).  In addition, lowering the Action Threshold each year (based on historical trap data) would demonstrate continuous improvement, which is required by both the FSMA and the GFSI.

Would elevating IPM to the status to OPRP bring more management significance to the pest control program?

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

:welcome:  to the forum.

Depends on the management.  But don't how pest management would not be a perquisite program--it simply too critical.     

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:53 AM

Some of my food processing clients have identified sanitation as an OPRP.  Specific insects common to food processing (ants, cockroaches, filth flies, fungus gnats, etc.), as well as commensal rodents and birds are known vectors of pathogens. And sanitation is the major element in any food processing or warehousing IPM program.

It seems to me that IPM should be considered an OPRP as well, requiring pest monitoring and trending, the establishment of action thresholds (upper control limits), documented trend analysis, and when activity exceeds the action threshold, the undertaking of a corrective action.

Further, it seems to me that performing such corrective action would allow one to demonstrate preventive pest control -- and prevention is one of the pillars of the new US Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).  In addition, lowering the Action Threshold each year (based on historical trap data) would demonstrate continuous improvement, which is required by both the FSMA and the GFSI.

Would elevating IPM to the status to OPRP bring more management significance to the pest control program?

Dear Trogoderma

Thanks for the input. This concept certainly offers an opportunity to generate a large number of OPRPs.

3 Comments –

(1) I think the importance of an effective Pest Management program is generally quite well understood by "Management". I  also suspect that most Top Managements have little or no idea as to the meaning of OPRP.. IMHO, that may well be their good fortune. :smile:

(2) Some opinions might consider that your opening paragraph is invalid with respect to a FS hazard analysis, eg -

Attached File  hazards.png   42.84KB   3 downloads

(3) Although FS/HACCP/Risk assessment is an inevitably subjective topic, perhaps the ISO22002 option whereby PRPs are defined in advance of the hazard analysis offers a worthwhile prescriptive solution in this particular case. This at least enables saving one’s energy for the next contentious episode, ie the  OPRP/CCP section.

Or perhaps to put it another way – WTG  FSSC !. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - BTW, Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

PPS – Just to illustrate, IMO, an example of the possible consequences of  CCP/OPRP over-indulgence, consider this example –

Attached File  ISO 22000 CCP-OPRP table.xls   44.5KB   136 downloads

P3S - As currently presented, I consider that introducing the category of OPRP was a  retrograde step with respect to the development of FSMS systems.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Pest Control should be an oPRP.  Can't say if designating it as such will make your management more complaint though.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users