• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is anybody willing to reveal the secrets of FSMA Risk Assessment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

Anyone able and willing to reveal the secrets of the universe concerning FSMA risk assessment?

As I analyze FSMA information, it becomes clear to me that risk assessment is not identical to hazard analysis. I am intuiting it means statistical probabilities rather than the simplistic frequency and severity exercise HACCP teams have used for so long. I took statistics at university but it’s not my passion or greatest competency. I see the FDA has offered iRisk 1.0 and very recently 2.0, calling them risk assessment tools.

Is this the right track? Are there other tools or better tools to perform a world class risk assessment for identified risks? What do we use as the dividing line between significant risks and non-significant risks? I’d really like to know what you all are thinking with respect to FSMA compliance.

The FSMA information I get is sponsored by big software companies that want to sell expensive solutions that are appropriate for large profitable companies. I am grateful for the free education and they do provide a few actionable gems for smaller companies doomed to non-automation, but really they offer such a high-level, big-picture look at FSMA and its compliance solutions that it remains slim pickings for smaller companies where managers wear many hats and resources are limited. Are there any of you FDA people converting your HACCP to HARPC and have a handle on the risk assessment yet?

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

At the BRC Americas conference a presentation was given by reps from Land O' Lakes and General Mills on how they are preparing for FSMA.

I have asked to get the Power Point presentation when it becomes available.

Many companies are taking a wait and see approach until the final rules come out, while at the same time moving toward HARPC. I get the feeling that many do not want to invest the time and work involved only to have the rug pulled out when the final rules come out.

AIB has a pretty nice section in their Knowledge Center devoted to FSMA.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

In addition, there was a presentation by the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA), the group that is developing the training curriculum to comply with FSMA.

The draft training curriculum outline and the presentation that was given at BRC Americas are available on their website.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

Thank you Marshall. I will most certainly investigate these resources you have highlighted.

Regards,

Xylough

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HARPC, FSMA, Risk Assessement, iRisk 2.0, Preventative Controls, Significant Risks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users