• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to pull the documents together for a FSQM system?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jwalter007

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

I have been following this topic as I too am attempting to implement the FSQM system for our production company.

I'm most confused with how to put all the docs together.

I have been writing SOP from the NSF guide book. I have all of the appropriate categories as mentioned above in others posts. For me, though, I feel that these more as guidelines. Then there would be another set specific of more specific SOPs for tasks. 

For example, One set of SOPS would have facility maintenance but then there would be a more specific SOP for how to actually clean the production room. The same would be the case for equipment. There is one SOP for the maintenance of the equipment but then another for how to do the maintenance for each specific machine.

My question is how do we organize this?

Would there be one binder for SOPs then another for actual procedures.

I hope this makes sense.

thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

I'm unclear as to the product, process and FS Standard so this comment is speculative but it is possible you are simply over-elaborating.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jwalter007

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

Weird. This was meant as a reply to another thread. Not sure how it ended up here.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

I've split this topic off from this one as I didn't want to divert from the specific advice that member was receiving for her project. In addition your question is more related to the detail of the documentation structure of a FSMS rather than the project plan for achieving certification. I hope this makes sense.

FSMS documentation varies in structure, it is allowed to and there is no one set method.  That said if you looked at a documentation set of any company with certification to a GFSI standard you would expect to find:

- Top level policy statement for food safety and quality

- Other policies such as personal hygiene, allergen, foreign body etc.

Usually these policies would be bundled into a manual of some sort that would also include an overview of the procedures of the system perhaps also spelling out how they meet the clauses of the particular standard.  Some people write this manual as a reiteration of the actual standard and then against each section, clause or paragraph they put a reference to their procedure.

E.g. Section 2.1 of the BBC Standard states that a HACCP study must be conducted…blah, blah, blah covering blah, blah, blah…

In the manual:

Section 2.1 – A HACCP study has been conducted covering blah, blah, blah.  See HACCP Manual FSMS, reference 1.3.

In addition to the policies, manual, haccp studies, risk assessments, procedures/PRP’s you may also have detailed work instructions (what I call SOP’s).

You can certainly have broad procedures or processes and more detailed SOP’s where necessary.  Sometimes a detailed SOP is useful with pictures of how to do things etc. other times it is better to actually write the simple instructions on the checklist or record form, so that they are in the operators face whilst they are recording data.

Top and bottom of it is whatever works for you and try to keep it as simple as possible.  The goal of the FSMS is to be effective, but as efficient as possible.  This is actually the subject of next Friday’s IFSQN webinar. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users