• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are you happy with your job?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you happy with your job? (333 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with your job?

1. I'm delighted with it (43 votes [12.91%])

Percentage of vote: 12.91%

2. I am happy, even though it has its annoyances (139 votes [41.74%])

Percentage of vote: 41.74%

3. It pays the rent (36 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

4. I'm not happy, but not unhappy enough to make a change (36 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

5. I'm not happy at all and thinking about what to do next (73 votes [21.92%])

Percentage of vote: 21.92%

6. Other (6 votes [1.80%])

Percentage of vote: 1.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote
* * * * * 1 votes

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Job satisfaction is a very personal measure. While any job comes with hassles, perhaps on balance there is enough good to outweigh the bad—or maybe the scales have tipped the other way.  Well its spring and the daffodils are springing...things are changing, so is it now the time to dust off your resume or give thanks for your career.

Please vote and have you say.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

That Guy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:I'm a nerd, enough said.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

I voted not happy at all and thinking about what to do next. Although my sarcastically-positive attitude gets me through the day and I love the products we make, their is no long term future for this company because you can't teach "old dogs" (aka- stubborn people) new tricks and that makes me unhappy so I find myself contemplating my next move before I get burned out and lose hope in humanity.

Chive On.

Thanked by 2 Members:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

Happy with annoyances.

I spent the last six years in northeastern Ohio. Who wouldn't be happy living and working in central Florida?

Marshall

Nancy@Masser's

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

I have been actively job searching for several months.  While I believe in our products and love my co-workers; the top management in my company does not support food safety.  A food safety culture has to come from the top.  And if a vice-president of the company won't take the gum out of his mouth when he walks through the facility how am I supposed to tell the workers they can't chew gum??  And that's just one tiny example of how what I try to do gets sabotaged.  I could go on and on.  It's laughable. 

:beam:  

Thanked by 3 Members:

Miss Tammy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 13 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Interior decorating, swimming, reading anything, reality TV, keeping up with 3 Grandbabies under 2 years old!

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

At times I really love my job, and other times I want to run away and never come back!  We are a small company and all managers wear many hats.  I get very overwhelmed with all of the work I have to do and no matter how many hours I put in it is never enough.  My biggest issue is my support staff.  We are in a rural area and the employee pool is very limited.  We started offering a much better benefit package and increased our starting salary in an attempt to attract better people, but it has not worked.  I try to delegate, but it seems no one can think for themselves.  I get calls all hours where I have to do the thinking for them!  Anyone else have these same issues?  How do you handle it?  I am a quality manager, but this seems to be the case in all departments. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

WowQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Great people to work for. Small family-owned company. Lots of management support. But as with any job, there are things that happen sometimes that are annoying. At least it doesn't usually involve personnel here! That made my previous job unbearable. Working with good people makes those little annoyances bearable!

Barbara Serra

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

I agree with all of the replies so far. I love been a Technical Manager but when the top management challenge every decision our opinion you have or even don't involve you in the decisions that might affect Technical department, then you ask what you are doing here. Yes I'm looking for a away out before the level of stress gets so high that will make me ill. But saying this, I have worked for other companies were it seemed paradise and Food safety culture was on board in all departments ... I haven't given up in finding another company like that.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:53 AM

Love my job.  It's a small company with all the small company issues, but the owner has a commitment to quality and works extremely hard to move us ahead.  We are growing very quickly, and are suffering all those growing pains, but it is an exciting time to be here.

Our products are unique, and fill some very interesting niches in the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and industrial sectors.  I'm always seeing another application for what we make.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Indry

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:40 PM

Agree with Barbara  :rock:

Thanked by 1 Member:

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

Happy - but has its annoyances.

I changed jobs/companies twice in 9 months and have found a company that I truly enjoy working for. Family owned and growing. I am able to set policies, programs, and really shape food safety for the company. I am involved with 2 plants, all supplier visits (and approvals) as well as inspections of the warehouses. We are at the point of needing to start hiring a staff to help! But, with any job/company, there are things that drive you crazy! Coming from 2 very large, established companies, we are definitely behind on some things (not just food safety related - safety, maintenance, production records, etc.), and its quite frustrating to try to change the mentality of those that have been here 20+ years.

Overall though, minimal stress, very few days that are frustrating, and really happy!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

It's encouraging that over half of the respondents are either delighted or at least happy (despite some annoyances). A food safety practitioner or quality manager's role is often very busy (many hats), but I think also it comes with a lot of freedom to develop a role in your own direction...basically because nobody else knows what it is. :smile:

Some of the not happy and looking for a change is clearly due to lack of senior management commitment, paying lip service etc. and that is infuriating.  To a degree you can live with apathy, you can work with it, educate it, but willful neglect and undermining is hard to live with.  The good news is there are good jobs out there, the bad news is the incumbents in those roles are going nowhere.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Shyguy77

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 62 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

Can honestly say I'm happy with my job. Like all jobs there are some minor annoyances that occur, but for the most part is very satisfying and has been for the last 15 years.    :happydance:

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

I'm pretty happy where I am. I don't think there's any job that wouldn't have some annoyances, especially in the food industry. Unless something goes seriously wrong this is probably a role I will retire from.

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

I love my job. After a lifetime of working in jobs related to food from being a health inspector to a GMP coordinator, BRC coordinator, SQF coordinator, Nutritionist, I never could get away from food. My first job was at Subway Sandwiches! My work has been in relation to food my whole life. I've worked in a 100yr old flour mill and a peanut butter factory. Except now I work in a flexible plastic manufacturing facility. I don't know anything about plastics but the majority of films made here are used for food and therefor the facility is SQF certified which Is how I got here. I don't think I will ever go back to food manufacturing. Never again!

Rehman R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:Sports, Reading, Movies, Outing etc.

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

I like my job and profession but just get irritated with some occasional weird office policies.

QUALITY22

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

This is a great topic and I would like some advice as well. I may ramble but any good feedback would be great.

I am 24 years old, currently a QA Manager/ SQF Practitioner in the dairy industry. 

I started 3 years ago as a lab technician right after finishing my biochemistry undergrad degree and moved up the ranks fairly quickly to a 3rd shift supervisor in the yogurt business. After about 6 months I was moved to the 1st/2nd shift sanitation supervisor. I have received training in SQF, HACCP, and better process. After about 5 months of sanitation, I was asked to fill in as a manager for a bit. However, when it came hiring a manager,I interviewed, immediately the vp said your not ready. I was overlooked to by someone with zero qa experience and someone who did not even know what CIP was. She prob never even looked at a HACCP plan in her life. I left due to pay, hours, and location.

So I left to become a manager at a poultry plant. This was way more money, location was further, and had okay benefits. This did not work out so well. Within 5 months I was outta there due to issues I cannot say. This is not even on my resume. 

I then decided I would follow through with a recruiter that called and made my way into this dairy position. Good pay, good benefits, good location, however now they want me to work 7 days a week, and I am getting into big issues with higher management. I want to be a team player, and my techs know I am available if needed through phone, text, email 24/7. I actually just received another call from a recruiter for more money, same benefits, same distance, etc.

Any advance would help. I understand the politics involved, however it seems these corporations will lie to get you in the door.

Am I TURNING INTO A JOB HOPPER? it seems so. I do not want this on my resume at 24 years old. but the recruiters keep calling.

MIKE

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Well, at 24 I was in the US Navy in the communications field. Back then we were using Teletypes to send ship to ship and ship to shore messages at 75 baud. Our fantastic satellite communication system delivered data at the astounding rate of 2400 baud.

I'm impressed that at 24, you have been a high level QA and sanitation person. 

As a Sanitation Manager, had you actually cleaned any of the equipment that you were in charge of?

As the QA guy, had you ever worked on the line that made the product that you were "assuring"?

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but if recruiters are calling a job hopping 24 year old for management positions in the food industry that pay good and have great benefits, God help the food industry.

Marshall

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

After taking a deep breath, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Yes, you are a job hopper. I would look at your resume and discard it out of hand.

You have no real "experience" at anything.

If you really want to dedicate your life to the food industry, you might want to actually work in the industry first.

Sanitation managers don't just rule from on high. Anyone can make a schedule and assign people to carry it out.

If you have never cleaned equipment "A". how the hell do you know if the person you assign to clean it is doing it efficiently and effectively?

This is especially troubling since you identify as being in the dairy industry.

My advice would be to take a low/mid level job in sanitation or QA. Spend 5 or six years getting dirty. Understand WHY and HOW things need to be clean and in spec. Understand HOW the CIP system works, not just that you press a button to initiate the cleaning cycle.

Become an expert. Become invaluable to your company. Continue to learn and progress. 

Marshall

QUALITY22

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Im a qa manager currently. I have worked on fillers line etc during my time and one of the major foundations of my training has been learn before you can teach. I actually had three mentors that showed me the way for 2 yrs as a supervisor. Yes not alot of time but I have learned about cips, quality monitoring, etc.

When you are put to the test and people rely on you, you find somethings out about yourself early on.

QUALITY22

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

"I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but if recruiters are calling a job hopping 24 year old for management positions in the food industry that pay good and have great benefits, God help the food industry."

This statement seems very ignorant. And As a QA guy, what makes a good QMS?
Good micro, strong prequiste programs, documentation, and the ability to learn/grow/teach

Your concerned about the management teams member age rather than the team around them. When you have multiple teams working together with a wide range of experiences and put that together it how companies accomplish things.

QUALITY22

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

Cip clean in place

You are relying on mechanical flow, temp, pressure, and time.

Depending on ur industry its a pre rinse, rinse, caustic wash at roughly 155 f for 15 to 20 minutes, rinse, acid sanitizer 2 minutes.

Verification is done using titrations, micro, atp, y-m, swabs etc depending what your program says.
Yearly validations send to a 3rd party lab is what I also had learned.

The same process can occur for manual cleaning.

This okay?

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

I guess. have you ever torn apart the complete CIP system to ensure that it doing what it is supposed to do?

There are no dead ends, no unsanitary welds, etc?

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:02 PM

I sense some push back here, even though you asked for help.

Not exactly the best way to continue getting help. 

Lexter Cruz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:FSSC22000, ISO 22000, ISO 90001, HACCP, ISO 17025, Continual Improvement, GSO and SASO, SFDA, Prerequisite Programs,Products Dairy, Dry Mixed Product, Dehydrated Culinary Product, Powdered Beverages, Milk, Pasteurized Fermented Milk, Ice Cream, ice Cream Mixes, Meat Processing, Poultry process, Research and Development on food products.

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

I voted for "I am happy, even though it has its annoyances" because I’m contented in my work and also I’m learning a lot. Now, I’m currently managing the Research and Development section which I find myself enjoying it. I really want to make something new for dairy and meat process product. To some extent we cannot wipe out annoyances because of the circumstances which accidentally happens but can be control. After  working 8 years in a very well known and established company, I’ve learned a lot and now continuously implementing the same values, practices and principles in current company where I am working.

Thank you for this survey in a way that it teach us to pause, think and reflect of where we are and what are doing.

Thanks,

Factory Hygienist

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:14 AM

So unhappy that tomorrow is my last day. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users