Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

I have been asked to assess our Engineers workshop in relation to the following clause. I am struggling on how to present the information. Swarf is an obvious hazard for which we have swarf mats, can anyone think of any other hazards?

Engineering workshops shall be kept clean and tidy and controls shall be in place to prevent transfer of engineering debris to production or storage areas.

Has the workshop area been assessed to prevent the transfer of engineering debris to production or storage areas?

The other one is workwear. There is a recourse on site to external areas and employees regularly walk outside with their internal workwear on. How do we justify this n the form of a risk assessment.  A risk assessment shall be carried out and procedures implemented accordingly?

Many thanks in advance.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

Do Engineers have easy access to hand washing facilities before entering production areas?

Do you have policies in place that tell the Engineers  that they must keep their spaces "clean and tidy"?

Do you have controls in place for your Engineers to ensure that engineering debris does not make its way to the production floor? (i.e. tool cleaning and sanitizing, etc?)

As far as clothing goes, that all depends on how your facility is classified risk wise.

Marshall

chrissieb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thank you Marshall, that is a great help.

In terms of workwear we are classed as a low risk enclosed site so in terms of contamination risk, it is low.

Thanks again

chrissieb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

Opps didnt paste very well. Now attached.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hi chrissie,

The other one is workwear.

There is a recourse on site to external areas and employees regularly walk outside with their internal workwear on. How do we justify this n the form of a risk assessment

I presume the above is related to clause 4.8.1.

Not too sure if "recourse" (a truly weird BRC word choice) has been understood.

Regardless,  I think the activity mentioned  is likely to be risk unjustifiable (assuming "outside" means totally external to the Production facility)..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

chrissieb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi Charles, yes I am refering to that clause, thank you for your response. The production processes are almost entirely enclosed so the risk is minimal in my opinion and yes, by outside I mean completely external.....however, maybe it won't be seen as that by the auditor.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi Charles, yes I am refering to that clause, thank you for your response. The production processes are almost entirely enclosed so the risk is minimal in my opinion and yes, by outside I mean completely external.....however, maybe it won't be seen as that by the auditor.

I can recall a semi-analogous thread here for a fruit/vegetable packinghouse operation (considered a low risk production area to my surprise) where the employees had an eating facility extension  outside of the production area but still inside the walled "facility". The workers used same shoes all the time. This was not BRC related but appeared to be acceptable to the auditor.

On the other hand IMEX of a low risk production area for seafood, the use of internal (changed into) Production  footwear  was BRC prohibited outside that area.

I have myself audited Food Packaging Facilities where such "subtleties" seemed to be unheard of. Sometimes One has to Go with the Flow.

So, as Marshall implied, it may depend on the specific/perceived situation, ie the  justifiable "lowness" of  the low risk

Good Luck anyway !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BRC V7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users