noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Classic/ Vintage coin-op restorer of pinballs & juke boxes.
    Model ship builder.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

Morning All,

I would like some feed back on cleaning and swabbing of drains. What is the appropriate way to swab a drain, or a procedure for swabbing drains? I heard some just do the drain cover, some remove drain cover and swab the bowl and some even go down into the drain. Just looking for a solid proper way on swabbing drains.

We have a bit a drain problem with a couple of positive hits ( listeria) and a couple of trouble drains with reoccurring hits. The drain cleaning procedure is very general- collect debris, remove lid, clean out drain bowl, pre-rinse, apply cleaning solution ( HC-10-Ecolab) with dedicated brush, scrub down,  rinse with water then apply a quat base sanitizer ( Boost -3200-3201-ecolab) by pouring from a 5 gal. bucket. Is there something different we should be doing???

Any advice, directions will be grateful..... :helpplease:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:56 AM

Hi noahchris97,

If you are having problems then you want to find the source so a program to swab all areas of the drains in question. It pays to have a diagram in number swab points for reference.

For investigation purposes you should swab before and after cleaning as this will tell you how effective your cleaning is.

A sample cleaning procedure here.

Attached File  Floor and Drains Cleaning Procedure Sample.pdf   469.59KB   531 downloads

I would say that spraying a disinfectant would give you more effective disinfection than pouring a solution down the drain. If it doesn't make your floors too slippy I would not carry out the final rinse and leave the disinfectant in contact.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

PS1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

Completely agree with Tony-C.  Are the drains free flowing? Also inspect the drains, are there cracks or areas that are difficult to clean? What material is the drain made of, stainless steel, plastic?? If your drains are compatible, you could try a shock sanitiser like peroxyacetic acid.

Thanked by 1 Member:

noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Classic/ Vintage coin-op restorer of pinballs & juke boxes.
    Model ship builder.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

Completely agree with Tony-C.  Are the drains free flowing? Also inspect the drains, are there cracks or areas that are difficult to clean? What material is the drain made of, stainless steel, plastic?? If your drains are compatible, you could try a shock sanitiser like peroxyacetic acid.

PS1- Drains are free flowing also the drains are made up all differently. Some are cast iron, some plastic, some stainless steel, molded concrete. The building is old and has been added on to.

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Are the reoccuring drains near eachother and/or on the same central trunk? In a former plant we had 2 in the same room causing us trouble, we foamed cleaned the entire room (ecolab product, dont remember what) but paying special attention to the wall/floor junctions, undersides of tank & equipment, and the legs of equipment.  After our deep clean we inspected these same ares for cracks or anywhere that would harbor water and patched them. While we did swab there ares too we found no root cause but it couldnt have hurt.

Also yes switching up both your regular soap and sanitizer for a week or so once every couple of months is a good idea.  If all else fails talk to your Ecolab rep and ask for recommendations, thats what you're paying them for ;)

Best of luck these were/are my least favorite!

G

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

This is slightly OT in that I have no Listeria-specific verification data. it would be an add-on to the customised treatments already discussed.

Based on my experience in wet production facilities with raw material which at times undoubtedly has substantial micro.flora of all kinds, one feature which relates to  overall background micro. levels from the floor upwards is the use of in-plant chorination of the water supply.

I appreciate there are potential negative comments / local/customer restrictions but having had the opportunity to observe and measure I can only say that the micro. difference between usage levels of <0.1ppm (eg typical water supply) and 0.5 ppm free chlorine can be significant.

IMO it is the continuous nature of the application and, in the present case, probably the exit route also which accentuates this benefit.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:44 AM

This is slightly OT in that I have no Listeria-specific verification data. it would be an add-on to the customised treatments already discussed.

Based on my experience in wet production facilities with raw material which at times undoubtedly has substantial micro.flora of all kinds, one feature which relates to  overall background micro. levels from the floor upwards is the use of in-plant chorination of the water supply.

I appreciate there are potential negative comments / local/customer restrictions but having had the opportunity to observe and measure I can only say that the micro. difference between usage levels of <0.1ppm (eg typical water supply) and 0.5 ppm free chlorine can be significant.

IMO it is the continuous nature of the application and, in the present case, probably the exit route also which accentuates this benefit.

Yes that is a fair point :thumbup:

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

I swab the bowl of the drain and if I detect I try to find the source. Also, contact time is important in sanitising... a thing which can be overlooked by production who are always in a hurry to get going, but slow to put their hands up when the Listeria appears ....... Also having slightly chlorinated water in the plant is a big help with listeria. 

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

By the way....I'm back after a horrible month which culminated in a Grade A BRC with 4 non conformances...

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:58 AM

Hi all,

This parallel thread is also of some interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...mentals-drains/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

hazmeany

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:54 PM

attachicon.gif Floor and Drains Cleaning Procedure Sample.pdf

I know this post is super old but please tell me this has been updated? This procedure can lead a lot of people down the wrong path. 

Edited by hazmeany, 18 July 2019 - 03:55 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pghosh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:51 PM

Try ZEP or Sterilex Biofilm drain foaming chemicals. We used both at some point on our drains, and have been very effective. 

Just realized am replying to a very old post, though the topic of discussion will never get old! 

Edited by pghosh, 29 July 2019 - 11:54 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:23 AM

attachicon.gif Floor and Drains Cleaning Procedure Sample.pdf

I know this post is super old but please tell me this has been updated? This procedure can lead a lot of people down the wrong path. 

Hi hazmeany,

Nice 1st post, if I didn't know better I would say it is trolling.

I'm happy to amend and update it if you tell me what is wrong with the sample procedure.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

hazmeany

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:46 AM

Hi hazmeany,

Nice 1st post, if I didn't know better I would say it is trolling.

I'm happy to amend and update it if you tell me what is wrong with the sample procedure.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hello,

I am not a troll. I am a training consultant specializing in Quality Assurance and sanitation. I basically write SOP's for a living.

I do not want to offend but I do want to point a few things out. This SOP is over 5 years old so I am assuming it has been working for you.

The first thing that caused alarm is that using a hose in drains is always a bad idea. It would have to be VERY low pressure to not create any back splash. 

The next thing is that the area around the drains should be rinsed before they are taken apart. This ensures that the stuff around the drains does not go into a clean drain possibly recontaminating the clean drain. For my procedures I have the area around the drains cleaned before and after we clean the drains. Basically brushing a the floor around the drain with cleaner, cleaning the drain, rinsing with water and then sanitize. This of course isnt possible in all locations.

Another big thing your procedure does not specify is if the brushes and squeegees used are drain only. Having multiple colors for drain equipment does help distinguish the locations that are being cleaned BUT anything that goes into a drain should not be used in any other location in the plant. Also are all of those items pictured used to clean the drains? This can cause confusion for someone trying to write the SOP for drains. The less equipment you use to clean the drains the smaller the chances of miss handling and cross contaminating. 

With that in mind any sanitizing solution used to clean drain cleaning equipment should be disposed of immediately after use. 

Lastly, is the PPE used chemical resistant and is it drain specific as well? 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users