• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Good Morning Y'all,

I am creating a HACCP plan for a dry bean plant. Literally all they do is take dry beans from the field and pack them in poly sacks. If the beans come in to wet, they dry them and that is shown in the flow chart. The filter out things like rocks, plastic and metals, but do I need to worry about any biological or allergen hazards? They do not process anything other then beans and the harvesting equipment isn't used for anything but beans. Also, I can not find any scientific research about biological hazards and dry beans. All beans are inspected at receiving for molds and are handled by a PRP. Can anyone give me any advice on the topic or examples for hazard analysis for this commodity? 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi there,

I think you have mentioned most of the likely hazards, foreign bodies and molds.

You do not mention the range of beans you are packing and this will determine the allergen risk:

Peanuts and soybean are included in the Big 8 Allergens whilst allergies have been described for chickpea, lentils and peas.

Regards,

Tony

WACIRU

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

i agree with Tony-C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

I presume any "drying" is by natural means.

I would have thought that the risk of biological/chemical hazards woud depend on the environmental condition of the "bean area"

Survival of pathogens is possible without multiplication.

I noticed that in a previous thread you noted that a subsequent process for the "beans" involved heat processing. This further treatment, if validatable, and depending on the scope of your haccp plan, could be regarded as a microbial pathogen elimination step. However it would not remove some potential chemical contaminants.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

calaggal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sorry Tony should have been more precise on the type of beans. They are kidney, pinto, navy, cranberry and so on. No soybeans. Our growers are contracted that they will follow all strict allergen rules, and do not use the same harvesting equipment and or transportation that come in contact with the major 8, and it they do they have to be thoroughly cleaned. However, we live in an area that produces very little to none of soybeans and peanuts. Do I have to list mold and physical hazards at every step of the hazard analysis? Or for instance only in the steps that directly could have a hazard?

calaggal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

I presume any "drying" is by natural means.

I would have thought that the risk of biological/chemical hazards woud depend on the environmental condition of the "bean area"

Survival of pathogens is possible without multiplication.

I noticed that in a previous thread you noted that a subsequent process for the "beans" involved heat processing. This further treatment, if validatable, and depending on the scope of your haccp plan, could be regarded as a microbial pathogen elimination step. However it would not remove some potential chemical contaminants.

Drying is done in the field, however if the beans come in over the moisture threshold then they will be dried in large dryers. They aren't cooked. The beans are sold dry and need to be cooked before eating. It is a product that is never eaten "raw". All growers are GAP certified and have to follow USDA GAP guidelines. Also, we make our growers sign a contract stating they have strictly followed all proper pesticide regulations, so the chemical issue is a very low risk.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

Sorry Tony should have been more precise on the type of beans. They are kidney, pinto, navy, cranberry and so on. No soybeans. Our growers are contracted that they will follow all strict allergen rules, and do not use the same harvesting equipment and or transportation that come in contact with the major 8, and it they do they have to be thoroughly cleaned. However, we live in an area that produces very little to none of soybeans and peanuts. Do I have to list mold and physical hazards at every step of the hazard analysis? Or for instance only in the steps that directly could have a hazard?

You would consider all relevant hazards at each step then determine the ones that aren't significant and exclude them from your HACCP plan.

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi calaggal,

Couple of comments –

(1) Some microbial pathogens, if present in elevated levels, can produce chemical toxins which are not necessarily destroyed by a consumer cooking step.

(2) Adherence to pesticide regulations typically requires verification.

Both (1,2) are resolvable by BC analyses of the input/output which should comply with specifications. I daresay you do this already.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

calaggal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Hi calaggal,

Couple of comments –

(1) Some microbial pathogens, if present in elevated levels, can produce chemical toxins which are not necessarily destroyed by a consumer cooking step.

(2) Adherence to pesticide regulations typically requires verification.

Both (1,2) are resolvable by BC analyses of the input/output which should comply with specifications. I daresay you do this already.

I am not sure what you mean by BC analysis?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

B = Biological ("micro.")

C = Chemical (eg as per the relevant pesticide(s))

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users