Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

I work at  red meat plant. We make no claims as to being allergen free but due to milk from lactating udders on older cattle, have to carry out a risk assessment. Any help would be good?

ganderson64

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

I have used a milk protein detection test from a company called Neogen. My SQF auditor suggested that the best validation of non-allergenicity is to perform this type of test immediately after cleaning / sanitation procedures. (I do not work in a red meat plant, simply a food ingredient plant where we have to demonstrate mitigation of potential cross contamination threats)

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:10 PM

Testing would support your risk assessment but to do a risk assessment I suggest you take your HACCP flow chart and consider where the milk allergen could be introduced in your process and then you describe what measures you have in place to control it at that step or measures you have in place to ensure it is not introduced into your process.  Then you follow your flow chart to see if it could be transferred or re-introduced elsewhere in your process and make sure you have controls in place to ensure that does not happen.  The test kits can be used to verify sanitation procedures are effective but can also be used during production to verify that areas are not being cross-contacted to.   

Cumbrian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

Charm Sciences also do a simple swab/incubate test for milk proteins

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

If you want milk analysis you should check out Milk Lab

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

parrottgower

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time out to answer, that's really helpful!

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hi

I got same issue. I have had two non conformances due to needing to put a procedure together for spillages on carcasses and floor. Any ideas what to do if udders leak when removing as I am stumped on this.

Can anyone advise or help in what to do

Regards

ChocoTiger

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:54 PM

aps,

A procedure for a leaking udder would be similar to one for a busted gut, or a carcass getting pulled down the chute by the hide puller (this happened a lot at the lamb slaughterhouse I was assigned to). 

Example: 

In the event of an udder leaking onto a carcass on the line, the following procedure will be put into action:

1) The line will be stopped

2) The affected carcass will be railed out to the trim/inspection/suspect area

3) The affected portions of the carcass will be trimmed off and disposed of properly in the appropriate receptacle.  The whole carcass will be rinsed to ensure removal of contamination

4) The QA Manager/Production Manager (or both) will verify removal of contamination, and release the carcass back into production.  (If you have an federal inspector and/or veterinarian, you would want them to give the all clear for this, too).

I hope this helps.  Holler if you need any further assistance.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users