Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hello everyone, I'm building an HACCP (CODEX) for vegetable oil product of my company! Does anyone know if there is a systematic method for evaluating an identified hazard? I mean the screening stage after you list all the possible hazards relevant to that product?

Thank you!

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hello zagmain:

Attached is a sample risk assessment.  There is a matrix that derives a hazard risk level, and an assessment of a manufacturing process.  Similar assessments would be done for the raw materials and individual suppliers.  Hopefully, this will help you perform your own risk assessment.

Martha

Attached File  Sample Risk Assessment.xlsx   10.8KB   307 downloads

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 2 Members:

zagmain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:41 AM

Hello zagmain:

Attached is a sample risk assessment.  There is a matrix that derives a hazard risk level, and an assessment of a manufacturing process.  Similar assessments would be done for the raw materials and individual suppliers.  Hopefully, this will help you perform your own risk assessment.

Martha

attachicon.gifSample Risk Assessment.xlsx

Dear MWidra

Thank  you for your kindness. This is very helpful to me. But i have problem interpreting the maxtrix. For example Consequence: (4) Customer complaint + Liklihood: Could occur => You assign 18 level of of risk. How could you end up in this level:18? Can you explain for me? Thank you. 

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

Dear MWidra

Thank  you for your kindness. This is very helpful to me. But i have problem interpreting the maxtrix. For example Consequence: (4) Customer complaint + Liklihood: Could occur => You assign 18 level of of risk. How could you end up in this level:18? Can you explain for me? Thank you. 

Hello zagmain:

The matrix is set up so that #1 is the worst risk and # 25 is the least severe.  This matrix is a standard one, that is frequently used for HACCP risk assessments.  I did not develop it, but I have seen it many places so it is accepted.  The purpose is not to decide which number should be given to "a customer complaint could occur".  It's to help you decide that if you have a risk, for example of a bad smell getting into the food, what number to give it to decide if you need to change your prerequisite programs to prevent it or to initiate a CCP to control it.  A bad odor would not cause death, as long as it's not due to a toxin or pathogen, so it would not be a number 1, 2 or 4, that would require a CCP.  But it is important to your business, so maybe the cause of the odor should be prevented through cleaning, or inspection of goods, or separating the raw materials from things that smell bad, which would be your prerequisite programs.  The second tab of the spreadsheet is the real risk assessment, were the process is analyzed for individual risks, their hazard level is listed, and you say if the food is protected using a prerequisite program or a CCP.

Look at the information on the second tab of the spreadsheet and see if you can apply that to your process.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!  We all started out learning.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

zagmain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Dear MWidra

I don't know how to express my gratitude for you! Your answer is very detailed and lucid to me. Actually, I'm a newbie in this field and there's a lot of things which are very new to me. If there's some-one who can guides me like you, it would be great! I'm just at the beginning stage of building the HACCP plan, I think I'll still have to ask you more in the future. Thank you, Mrs MWidra!

At this time, I got confused between GMP and SSOP? I know they are the base of an HACCP plan, but they seem like interwined to each other? If someone has examples or real documents about this, it would help me to figure out what are the differences between them! 

Best Regards

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

Hi zagmain,

At this time, I got confused between GMP and SSOP? I know they are the base of an HACCP plan, but they seem like interwined to each other? If someone has examples or real documents about this, it would help me to figure out what are the differences between them!

see -

http://www.ifsqn.com...oil/#entry89256

(a) ssop means sanitation standard operating procedures

(b) gmp means good manufacturing processes

In practice these terms are flexible. GMP often includes SSOPs, for example if you examine the detail in the link of post2 in the above-referenced thread you will see that there is some overlap since (b) sort of requires (a) .

You may find it easier to work with "prerequisites", for example from  iso 22000 -

prerequisite programme
(food safety) basic conditions and activities that are necessary to maintain a hygienic environment throughout the food chain suitable for the production, handling and provision of safe end products and safe food for human consumption

NOTE The PRPs needed depend on the segment of the food chain in which the organization operates and the type of organization. Examples of equivalent terms are: Good Agricultural Practice (GAP), Good Veterinarian Practice (GVP), Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), Good Hygienic Practice (GHP), Good Production Practice (GPP), Good  Distribution Practice (GDP) and Good Trading Practice (GTP).

Personally,  i would recommend you to use the list of  "Prerequisites" as per  iso22002-1 and modify as appropriate for yr process. This is probably done in the fedoil file i initially attached in yr parallel top referenced thread. The best choice is probably one which is commonly used in yr industry as long as it will make sense to an auditor (i note that you mentioned to not be working to any specific Code).

I would also suggest you to have a look at a model haccp manual to see a typical structure, eg the (Manitoba) Advantage manual here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ion/#entry51550

PS - note that the procedures downloadable from the sub-link in top-stated link above are "SOP"s, some are related to sanitation (ie more like SSOPs) and some to the process (ie more like GMP).

@MWidra, Apologies for hijacking yr thread, 2 parallel threads always confuses the issue. No problem to disagree with any of my comments.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

addendum

Another (Ontario) Advantage HACCP manual in 2 volumes which the previous (Manitoba) one was based on is here - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...ans/#entry33185

part 2 is similar content to previous (Manitoba) manual but with some changes in format, eg "GMP title" is replaced by "Prerequisite" and some examples vary.

part 1 is a useful compilation of outline Procedures for all the Prerequisite/HACCP Programs in Pt2. This would also act as a useful supplement to the Manitoba manual.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zagmain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

addendum

Another (Ontario) Advantage HACCP manual in 2 volumes which the previous (Manitoba) one was based on is here - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...ans/#entry33185

part 2 is similar content to previous (Manitoba) manual but with some changes in format, eg "GMP title" is replaced by "Prerequisite" and some examples vary.

part 1 is a useful compilation of outline Procedures for all the Prerequisite/HACCP Programs in Pt2. This would also act as a useful supplement to the Manitoba manual.

Dear Chales.C

First, I thank you for your kindness. But It seems I can't get the things I want to know from your answer? You said that GMP and SSOP have overlap aspects, so what are they? Cause I'd like to know the differences between them. And to illustrate these difference, I'd like to access some real GMP or SSOP procedures.

In addition, I don't know exactly which links you reccomended because in the post you suggested there are just so many links. Im confused sorry.

Another thing, when reading General principles of Food Hygiene CAC/RCP 1-1969.

1/ I usually see these two terms "where appropriate" vs "where neccessary". I don't know what is the difference between them, and which one is more important?

2/ "Food suitability" vs " Food safety" 

Food safety -> does not cause harm to the consumer

Food suitability -> acceptable for human consumption -> I just dont get this? How to know if a food is acceptable for human consumption, i mean to what degree? And can you give me an example for clarity?

Thanks a lot!!!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Hi zagmain,

There is one attachment. This contains “real” SSOP Procedures. I hope you have been able to download it ?

The only link in post 2 of yr parallel thread contains “real” GMPs.

Regarding the difference between GMP and SSOP, try this "basic"  explanation –

Attached File  SSOP and GMP Practices and Programs.pdf   301.13KB   203 downloads

Regarding yr additional queries, I suggest you classify food acceptability for human consumption with respect to 2 categories -  (a) safety, (b) wholesomeness.

Acceptability for (a) means that no BCPA safety hazards exist in the food such as could cause a heath-related incident to the consumer at the time of consumption, eg food poisoning, injury from glass fragments.

Acceptability for (b) means that the food exhibits no unacceptable sensory qualities such as foul taste, noxious odour, rubber-like texture. However, if category (a) is unfulfilled, the food may still make you “ill”.

The degree of acceptability to (a,b) is determined by the measurement / comparison of  the qualitative/quantitative value of items in a sample of a product to the corresponding limits in the product’s  “Product Specification”.

I expect yr refined products have a Product Specification ?  Perhaps you could post a typical Specification on this forum so that readers can identify for you which items are likely to correspond to categories (a,b) above.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zagmain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

Hi zagmain,

There is one attachment. This contains “real” SSOP Procedures. I hope you have been able to download it ?

The only link in post 2 of yr parallel thread contains “real” GMPs.

Regarding the difference between GMP and SSOP, try this "basic"  explanation –

attachicon.gifSSOP and GMP Practices and Programs.pdf

Regarding yr additional queries, I suggest you classify food acceptability for human consumption with respect to 2 categories -  (a) safety, (b) wholesomeness.

Acceptability for (a) means that no BCPA safety hazards exist in the food such as could cause a heath-related incident to the consumer at the time of consumption, eg food poisoning, injury from glass fragments.

Acceptability for (b) means that the food exhibits no unacceptable sensory qualities such as foul taste, noxious odour, rubber-like texture. However, if category (a) is unfulfilled, the food may still make you “ill”.

The degree of acceptability to (a,b) is determined by the measurement / comparison of  the qualitative/quantitative value of items in a sample of a product to the corresponding limits in the product’s  “Product Specification”.

I expect yr refined products have a Product Specification ?  Perhaps you could post a typical Specification on this forum so that readers can identify for you which items are likely to correspond to categories (a,b) above.

Yeah, here are my company's specifications

- For Crude degummed soybean oil

Specifications

Level

Moisture and Impurities

0.3 max

IV

125 min

FFA (% as oleic)

1 max

Unsaponitifiation matter (%)

Phosphorus

0.02 max

- For fully RBD Soybean oil - product

Specs

Moisture and Impurities (%)

FFA (% as oleic)

Unsaponitifiation matter (%)

Color

(Lovibond)

SV

PV (meg,kg)

IV (Wijs)

(gIod/100g)

Mức

0.1 max

0.1 max

1.5 max

20 yellow -2.0 red max

189-199

2.0 max

125 min

According to what you said, I believe " the SUITABILITY of Food" is the Acceptability (B): wholesomeness, cause it's already had the term " the Safety of Food".

But You still have not answered this question:

"when reading General principles of Food Hygiene CAC/RCP 1-1969.

1/ I usually see these two terms "where appropriate" vs "where neccessary". I don't know what is the difference between them, and which one is more important?"

P/S: I gonna search again the links relevanting to GMP and SSOP in my parrallel topics. Thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hi zagmain,

Thks for yr spec. I guessed a few units here and there. See the red. AFAIK, none of the items below are considered as Safety-related, ie all are within (b).

Level

Moisture and Impurities (%) - 0.3 max

IV (Wijs) (gIod/100g) - 125 min

FFA (% as oleic) - 1 max

Unsaponitifiation matter (%) - 1.5

Phosphorus (%) - 0.02 max

Specs  - Fully RBD Soybean oil - Product

(1) Moisture and Impurities (%) - 0.1 max

(2) FFA (% as oleic) - 0.1 max

(3) Unsaponitifiation matter (%) - 1.5 max

(4) Color  (Lovibond) -  20 yellow -2.0 red max

(5) SV (mgKOH/1g.oil) - 189-199

(6) PV (meg,kg) - 2.0 max

(7) IV (Wijs) (gIod/100g) - 125 min

Some examples of  Safety parameters are in the Codex standard attached here (see "contaminants") –

http://www.ifsqn.com/forum/index.php/topic/25169-acceptable-peroxide-value-in-foods/?view=findpost&p=89004

and -

Attached File  Product Information - Oleic Sun Oil.pdf   202.21KB   54 downloads

(eg 4,6)

Attached File  product specification - refined soyabean oil.pdf   195.09KB   59 downloads

(eg 5,6)

According to what you said, I believe " the SUITABILITY of Food" is the Acceptability (B): wholesomeness, cause it's already had the term " the Safety of Food".

IMO “suitability” is not a very scientifically meaningful word.  Personally, i would consider an unsafe food as automatically  "unsuitable" for me. But it’s up to you. :smile:

But You still have not answered this question:

"when reading General principles of Food Hygiene CAC/RCP 1-1969.

1/ I usually see these two terms "where appropriate" vs "where neccessary". I don't know what is the difference between them, and which one is more important?"

This is semantics. A variety of meanings are possible depending on the context. If you post a sample paragraph here, I’m sure the posters here will be happy to offer an interpretation.

P/S: I gonna search again the links relevanting to GMP and SSOP in my parrallel topics. Thank you!

I do agree with you that the various terminologies in use are confusing and overlapping.

IMEX the decision as to which portions of the  SSOPs/GMPs/Prerequisites to use in your FS system  often  depends on local regulations (ie audits) and the specific Industry-product-process. The use of Private Food Standards (eg BRC/SQF/ISO)  simplifies the decision because their Standards are internationally recognized and usually detail/list the items required. But they also involve a lot of extra work, audits, and money.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users