• Quick Navigation
Photo

Storage different products - certification?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

Got a questions: Is there a specific certification for storage different types food products (for example not store garlic powder next to cocoa powder). In the HACCPplan specifications are mentioned no to store strong smelling products together but one of the managers was wondering if there was a certification that controled this. I have no idea.

Kind regards,

Anne

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi,

Got a questions: Is there a specific certification for storage different types food products (for example not store garlic powder next to cocoa powder). In the HACCPplan specifications are mentioned no to store strong smelling products together but one of the managers was wondering if there was a certification that controled this. I have no idea.

Kind regards,

Anne

Hi AnneZ,

Yr query is a bit vague. :smile:

I assume (HACCP-wise) you are referring to Safety-related risks only? AFAIK smell is not normally regarded as a safety-related hazard in haccp methodologies like Codex ?

I guess in the context of the OP  that the storage safety risk factor is directed to cross-contamination.

It's more common, i think, to see yr query interpreted from a BCP hazard category POV. For example -

Allergenic products being un-segregated from non-allergenic is a well-known no-no.

Recognised Salmonella products like chicken are not stored in combination with seafood. (and yes, i know it's debatable, I give the seafood processor's POV :smile: )

Offhand, do not recall seeing an official list of such do/not dos but it may well exist.

Maybe the FS Storage/Distribution Code Gurus on this forum have a better idea.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hi Charles,

Thank you as the question was a bit vague a bit more information. More information:

We store different products (mainly vegetable oils in IBC/drums/ cartons or in bulk in tanks) for our clients. Sometimes the finance department from our customer have other idea's concerning the storage and think everything can be stored in the same warehouse because it's cheaper etc. Because of this my manager asked me if there was an ISO or other certification that demanded the storage of certain goods to be stored seperatly or special conditions for products.

I don't think a official certification / list / specific law exist about how to store products but thought I just ask the forum :)

Kind regards,

Anne

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

Hi Charles,

Thank you as the question was a bit vague a bit more information. More information:

We store different products (mainly vegetable oils in IBC/drums/ cartons or in bulk in tanks) for our clients. Sometimes the finance department from our customer have other idea's concerning the storage and think everything can be stored in the same warehouse because it's cheaper etc. Because of this my manager asked me if there was an ISO or other certification that demanded the storage of certain goods to be stored seperatly or special conditions for products.

I don't think a official certification / list / specific law exist about how to store products but thought I just ask the forum :)

Kind regards,

Anne

Hi Anne,

There is actually a voluminous literature on this topic, predictably oriented to safety. :smile:

The only comment I could see in the official document below which seemed directly related to yr OP was -

Store different materials separately so they can’t mix if there’s a leak (it’s easier to deal with a spill of just one material than a mixture); this may be a legal requirement for some
substances – see information from the HSE

Attached File  UK safe storage drums, IBCs, PPG26,2011.pdf   421.43KB   27 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users